SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 09, 2003, 04:14 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Arizona Modelcrafters FOKKER DR-1 questions

I have an Astro 40G laying around, looking for a home. The Arizona Modelcrafters DR-1 looks like a natural. I am interested in any experiences / observations anyone has had with this plane.

I am particularly interested in how it performs with this powerplant. but I will take any input you can give.

If you know someone with this plane or if you have seen it, please pass on any thoughts.

Thanks,
David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Last edited by fliir; Jul 10, 2003 at 08:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2003, 02:36 AM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
David,
I have one of these in the ARF form. I plan on using a Hacker but they
show one flying with the AF40G on there web site. This is a nice kit!!
I also purchased the scale upgrade kit for it.

Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:25 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Frank:

Please keep me posted as you assemble it and get it in the air. I'll be waiting to hear how she flys.

David
Old Jul 28, 2003, 09:41 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
I have a DR1 somewhat larger than the Arizona one and it flies nicely on an Astro sport 40, 19 cells, 3.31 to 1 reduction, 24 X 10 prop. 8 min. does loops rolls etc. take off run is about 25 feet.
Not fast, but fun to fly.
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:20 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Ron:

Is this something you scratched or is it available (i.e. plans or kit)?
Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:25 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
The DR-1 is sort of a second choice because I can't seem to find a good DVII plan/kit.

What I would really like is the biggest DVII that I can pull around with an Astro 40. I wonder if it can power a 1/4 scale? I was thinking 1/5 scale, but I can't seem to find a decent plan / kit.

I should probably start a new thread with DVII in the title.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 03:17 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
fliir:
Ron's DR I is scratch built from his own plans, which may soon be available at the 30% scale he built, and at 25% as well. I know he was working on making the plans usable a while ago. His plane is very much lighter than the Arizona Models one, even though it's also much larger.

I scratch built the D VII in my avatar at 22.5% using techniques learned from Ron's DR I, and it flies nicely on a geared Astro 25, but would be even better with a 40 or a nice brushless equivalent. My 20 cell packs had to be arranged as 2x10 packs stacked 5 on 5 , and located under the motor, right behind the radiator grille, to get the weight far enough forward, so the slightly heavier AF 40 would be fine in this plane.

I also had trouble locating a kit or plans in the size I wanted, so my solution was to blow up a set drawn for a 38" span .15 glow powered one by 100%, and make some changes to match 3-views. The wood sizes drawn for the 38" plane are the same as what I used for the 76" electric version! Most of the fuselage is 3/16 sq. balsa and basswood.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Last edited by Brad Trent; Jul 29, 2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:25 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
I really like it Brad. I just wish someone would sell me a set of plans to build something like that!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 07:10 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
Fliir,
Have you tried Bob Holman plans? I have several plans from him. He sells plans from several designers.
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Aug 01, 2003, 11:00 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
fliir.......I have plans for the DR1 in 30% size, D V1 in 22% and the D V111 in 22% They all fly on 20 cells or less...D V111 ( 14 )
D V1 ( 16) DR 1 ( 19 ) ...If you want, I can send you a set, you just must be prepared to realize that they are made for people who scratch build on a regular basis, and don't go into great detail on how to join each piece, as I expect you could figure it out if you have built a few models. A friend of mine in Seattle built from a set of my plans, and said he had no problems at all.
The D V111 will be done at 30% this winter to match the DR1, which is my personal favourite to fly. Slow and graceful, but really agile. Take off roll about 25ft.
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
Old Aug 02, 2003, 12:48 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
fliir:
If I had a usable set for the D VII, I'd give them to you, but I only made 1 blow-up copy, which I heavily edited with red pencil, then cut up to build the various assemblies. After use, they were torn and smudged from glue leaking through the wax paper "protection", and are not really worth having now. Like Ron, I built with no instructions, having developed my own preferences after building a number of kits, picking the best procedures and techniques from each one. Take Ron's offer of a set for one of his planes (I really like his D VI and D VIII), or find the Fokker D VII Windsock Datafile 9 and blow up the 3 views to a size that suits you and build over that.

I just searched my shop and can't find the mag. that my D VII plans came from, but I do recall that it was drawn by Phillip Rawson for a .15 glow motor.

Here's a shot of Ron with his D VI just before it's maiden flight last year. I don't have any pics of his latest, the D VIII, yet.
Old Aug 02, 2003, 12:51 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Another of the D VI next to my D VII; they're both to 22.5% scale.
Old Aug 02, 2003, 02:49 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
RCM has a 1/6th scale DVII, 59" span. They also have my 52" span version, which Dave Grife recently electrified at that size.

Both would blow up nicely on a Xerox (RCM might well do that for you if you ask), and would only need a little bit of lightening along with changing the motor mount. The original wood sizes should mainly be fine.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Aug 02, 2003, 12:45 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,035 Posts
Gordon, your plan at 52" is great but the old 59" Norman Butcher plan is pretty poor.
I think Nexus carry a 1/5 scale plane, (approx. 70" span). An Astro 40 with the superbox would work well.

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Aug 02, 2003, 01:39 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
Dear Fliir:
I had one of the DR 1 ARFs from Arizona and it flies great on the geared Astro 40! I used three hump packs of 7, 2400 cells on the floor of the front of the plane and just plugged them together for a package of 21 cells. Plane flies very well and looks great in the sky. I traded it to one of my best flying buddies because he wanted it so much and I simply wasn't getting to fly it very much. It is a crowd pleaser both on the ground and in the air and mine had no bad tendencies. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member