SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:57 PM
Springtown, TX
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone Switch Tail Wheel

Hey guys, I've been flying my switch for a bit now and eveything's been going pretty well. I did have a hard landing that broke the little steering rod on the tail wheel and I can't seem to get the thing to stay on there to save my life. I've tried gorilla and epoxy both. I've made a very technical and accurate sketchup on my attached picture here of the pieces as the "should" sit. The dark blue is the steering rod that extends back from the tail wheel and slides into a tube in the rudder which I have removed right now, represented by the greenish blob. I'm trying to figure out what I can replace this tail wheel with so this thing isn't flopping all around on the ground. The problem is the stock setup isn't very strong so straight ahead is the high point of an arc from the left to right of the plane, so it wants to fall off that high point in the arc either to the left or the right regardless of rudder input making it virtually impossible to steer. If it falls off to the left it won't turn back right, and vice versa. Of course the tail wheel isn't included in the parts list for the plane.
laddmantx is offline Find More Posts by laddmantx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:04 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I would suggest just making a new tailwheel wire and attaching it directly to the rudder. You can bend the wire into a square and just tape or epoxy it to the side of the rudder. If I get a chance I'll take a pic of one like this when I get home.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
Springtown, TX
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
I wound up at the LHS and got one of those ohio superstar micro tailwheels. Put it on with gorilla glue and it seems to be working like a charm!
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:35 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
I have the same problem with my switch. Neither the tail wheel or the control horns are available. Calls to Hobbico (Jim) and Tower seem to fall on def ears.

Can you post a picture of your fix?

I drilled out the rudder arm hole and epoxied a wire in mine and installed it on a smaller plane. We will have to wait and see how it holds up.

boatdoc is offline Find More Posts by boatdoc
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:59 PM
Springtown, TX
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home. I did want to drop by and let you know that Hobbico is sending me a replacement tail wheel assembly. I went through http://www.hobbico.com/techsupport/
and told them what my problem was. They did respond today, I emailed them on the 15th. I wonder how many folks have the same issue and what it would take to get this put on the parts list since fuselages don't come with any hardware and it's not in the wheel kit?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:36 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
From what I was told when I called is: "unless the manufacture makes it available they cant sell them"........... So he just pulls the Tail Wheel asemblies from other planes and thats why we dont get the bottom mounting plate.
How long is that going to last.

Also there are now three people that have had servo failure on the elevator. He (Jim/James) denied any complaints. I've taken mine apart and am working on why it is failling...

For the price and the company that is selling them,(Tower) it wont be long before these become extinct unless they step up.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:45 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
I just sent them another email asking for another one and to possible get an extra. Figure there are only so many kits he can rape before they stop doing it or fix the problem
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Still looking for a good replacement for the tail wheel and landing gear so I can have a reliable plane that does not need babying. So darn glad I got it for 240 delivered instead of 329.00
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
On the maiden flight of a perfectly setup Switch I had a elevator servo fail. The landing was hard but on all three wheels. I took the servo apart and there is a white wire (picture) that is soldered at the edge of the pc board and resting against the servo motor.

That wire has come loose. The pc board is held in place by the top and bottom case crimping the servo wires, with no support for up/down movement!!!!!!!

Caution: Be very careful when plugging or handling the rudder and aileron servo wires!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:24 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:51 PM
Ontario - CANADA
Joined Apr 2008
6 Posts
2 Brothers Hobby has a tail wheel modification to reinforce the Switch's tail wheel. One has to insert a 0.125" OD carbon fiber tube (0.060" ID) into the fuselage, glue it with CA, insert the tail wheel stem into the reinforcement tube.

http://www.2bfly.com/Pages/reviews/f...aspx#tailwheel
Edward64 is offline Find More Posts by Edward64
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:55 PM
Ontario - CANADA
Joined Apr 2008
6 Posts
Replacement Flyzone Switch tail wheel assembly can be purchased from Tower Hobbies.

Tower Hobbies P-51D EP uses the same tail wheel assembly. You can order the tail wheel assembly by calling Tower Hobbies at 1-800-637-6050 and ordering part number TOWA6078.
Edward64 is offline Find More Posts by Edward64
Old May 14, 2011, 09:50 AM
eddi
Joined Oct 2010
63 Posts
Hi guys,

I am trying to assemble a switch from parts. I was wondering, how is the motor mount attached to the fuselage? Glue? Screws?...

What is the model number of the stock Tactic servos? or if someone can provide me with just the dimensions so that I purchase the right size servos for this model.

Any differential in the ailerons travel? If yes, is it me mechanical or radio produced?

I appreciate if someone can answe my questions and thanks in advance.
eddi74 is offline Find More Posts by eddi74