HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:58 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Discussion
How to fix Hobbyzone Champ motor mount? HELP!

Hobbyzone Champ Motor Mount Broken - How to Fix part 2 (0 min 15 sec)

Hobbyzone Champ Motor Mount Broken - How to Fix (0 min 11 sec)

After dozens of hard nose plants, head ons into buildings, trees, goal posts, this is the result. I still love the plane and recommend it to all beginners. Get it from Hobbyzone directly, usually ships same day.
thinking of toothpicks and hot melt glue. don't have any CA on hand. anyone w/ ideas? tSee part 2 of the damage. Thanks.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:02 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Take Medium Foam Safe CA, and glue it back down. Keep it away from the motor if possible.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
sounds a little risky. not that confident since i've never used CA before. will have to go to the local hobby shop tomorrow. what about two cut down toothpicks across in addition to the the CA? won't that reinforce?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:01 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
The problem with reinforcing with a toothpick is you end up with a point load from something stronger than the base material.

I did similar damage to mine, low-temp hot-melt glue or the foam-safe CA (not quite so instant that it's hard to use) or even some latex caulk will fix it right up. Almost any glue that won't melt the foam will work fine.

Hardest part is making sure you maintain close to the factory level of down/right on the shaft. It does not need to be perfect, just make sure it points down/right.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:12 PM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
guess i'll leave the toothpicks out. i fear that after this fix, the stress from future impacts will move past the "fixed joints" and create minute and then large visible cracks to the "firewall" and fuselage. if they made a cheesecloth-like material of fine carbon thread I could mold that in strips like a wallpaper and that would give it overall strength. they should make a noob kit for these Champs like shock absorbing front bumpers! Even stiff rubber bands sticking out would help! lol
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
looking at the video, it also looks like even without impacts, repeated full thrust alone stresses the motor mount area partly due to the down-right thrust. I'm tempted to stitch a piece of balsa in there!
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:38 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Just use a small drop of medium CA. It's more than strong enough, and it's light enough to not affect the CG.

Look for BSI Super Gold + (it's a gold bottle with a black cap- often times the hobby shop will have their logo at the top of the bottle).
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
If you want to reinforce your sheet material idea is good, very thin balsa or even a few layers of glue-soaked paper would be quite sufficient.

When you reinforce, if you do it out of proportion you make damage next to the reinforcement even more likely.

Dave
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:13 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Gorilla Glue will work as well.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:29 AM
United States, NY, Angola
Joined Jul 2010
303 Posts
I would use some 5 minute epoxy and be done with it. Just use what ever glue you can get thats strong enough to hold it that won't wreck the foam and be done with it. I use 5 minute epoxy to fix all my broke foam and if it breaks again it sure as hell won't break at that glue joint cause it's so strong.

This is what I use to fix any breaks in my foam planes.
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...e_Free_Listing
Ghost Plane is offline Find More Posts by Ghost Plane
Old Oct 16, 2010, 02:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Fixed it with what the hobby shop salesperson recommended - UHU POR .

Worked just like the what the friendly guy said at the local hobby shop. Cured in about 30 minutes and stayed "bouncy" meaning it shouldn't crack like foam. should act like a stiff rubber tire on future nose plants, will anchor the motor strong enough that it flies like stock but will act better than stock on impacts! This adhesive is kinda like a stickier and firmer silicone and has very little smell.
Hobbyzone Champ broken motor mount foam fixed with UHU POR (0 min 18 sec)
Old Oct 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
How the damage happened - with repeated crashes!
Hobbyzone Champ Crashes & Rough Landings part2 but FUN FUN to FLY (4 min 56 sec)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
I see where people in YOUR neighborhood set up these stupid net-like things right in the middle of runway too! Can't believe the nerve of them!

Next thing you know, there are loads of little kids chasing balls right where our planes should be!

Somebody ought to do something about this !
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I had to tell a guy at work to not park on the runway!

Hey, anyone make a remote-release simulated bird-poo dropper?

Dave
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
I like the title of the video- not sure i saw any landings as such!

He was a very understanding footballer though.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Closed Thread