HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:01 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Discussion
Who wants a mayflower iii kit?

William Baker designed MAYFLOWER II which was built and then sailed from England to Massachusetts. He also gave the museum (Plimoth Plantation) shrunken plans of a small (about a foot long) model of the ship. You can buy a copy from Plimoth Plantation for about $25.
THE QUESTION now is who would like a bigger fiberglass copy of that ship? And how big a ship do you want?
If we get enough interest, and some agreement on waterline length we may be able to persuade a manufacturer to produce such a kit. So please speak up and provide this site with what you want and what you would be willing to pay!
Thanks
George Steele is offline Find More Posts by George Steele
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
THIS HAS BEEN HELPFUL, 124 LOOKS BUT NO RESPONSE. i WAS THINKING OF PUTTING UP $1,000 OR $1,500 TO A MAKER OF KIT BOATS TO GET A HULL MOLD BUILT, BUT WITH NO RESPONSES IT LOOKS LIKE THIS IDEA IS NOT A GOOD ONE.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southsea
Joined Apr 2011
199 Posts
there is a very good working model of the mayflower , biult by mike mayhew of the portishead model sailing club in north somerset uk , also a full scale replica is moored in bristol city docks next to the ss great britian ,
triumphjon is offline Find More Posts by triumphjon
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:47 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
611 Posts
It is an interesting idea-- one that would be popular with the spectators here in Massachusetts-- but I would be concerned that it wouldn't make a very good sailing model. There's a lot of "sail area" on the hull with the raised forecastle and poop. Then there's the question of how to handle the big lateen sail-- how to tack and wear with it set?

Wikipedia says she's 106 feet long- but doesn't say if that's an overall lenght with the bowsprit or not. 1/24 scale might be a workable model-- that would be 53 inches long. A 1/32 scale model would be a little over 3 feet long- that may be OK, too, but I wouldn't want to go any smaller.
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Old May 02, 2011, 11:42 PM
Towing for a living
United States, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
Having moved it several times, I can tell you the real version tows fairly well, quite heavy actually. I want to say the length isn't sparred, I'll find out in the next day or two.
Tug Jaguar is offline Find More Posts by Tug Jaguar
Old May 17, 2011, 10:34 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
stability problems of models

Baker's plans for a 1/8th inch = a foot static model appear to be the "real plans" scaled down. Scaling them up gives a "real waterline length" of about about 78-80 feet. Thus an "in the water" model with a 4 foot waterline would have a linear scale ratio of 4/80 or 1/20. Thus the stability of the model would be very low.
Steel, Chapman & Hutchinson Ltd sell 3 beautiful fiberglass models. All have ballast displacement ratios of about 50% and sail very well. Thus the Mayflower in-the-water model maker will have to devise a way to increase the model's stability.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:21 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,056 Posts
Got pics?

Im also building a 1:20 model of a galeon.
Maybe I can be of help?

Here is mine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357258
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled