HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:54 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Build Log
Vortech Models F4U Corsair

Not so much of a build log, more of a "how the hell do I do that" log!

I bought this kit over a year ago and it's been waiting patiently till I finished the Mustang. It's my first short kit so when just a few parts arrived it was a little daunting. No instructions either but that has turned out to be a good thing as I have had to use my brain a little as well as the search function. Thanks to various build threads like TFLG's P39, Gavoss' buildathon and of course the Skunkworx Corsair its been easier.

Most of the construction of the wing is finished and I'm waiting for a couple of HS82's to arrive so I can install them before I glass the wing. Jeff F recommends trying to keep this build as light as possible so I have gone for a balsa leading edge as well as balsa everywhere else. Im planning to put some heavier glass cloth along the leading edge as its quite soft and wing joins, but the upper and lower surfaces will be covered in a relatively light glass cloth, 28 grams/m2. Any problems with this?

I needed some practice with glass sheeting before the wing so I started with the tail group which seems to have gone ok. Its hard to get the glass to overlap though. Im using West systems epoxy.

So at the moment my two biggest challenges are glassing the wing, and making a hatch for the radio gear or alternatively cutting off the nose like the aussie Corsair and making a plywood mounting. I like the idea of access through the nose but I think it is probably a weak point in a crash/landing.

Whether I go for a hatch or cut off the nose, it will be a first for me and there's not a lot of room for f@ck ups!

Hope you like the pics!
chris s is offline Find More Posts by chris s
Last edited by chris s; Oct 15, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:51 AM
USA, CA, Seal Beach
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Is vortech models still around? I have two new fuses laying around that I misplaced the cores for.

Matt
lblife is offline Find More Posts by lblife
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:56 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,019 Posts
I'd make a hatch - much easier and stronger.

Glassing balsa can be a challenge. I'd spray or brush on some polyurethane first so the epoxy doesn't soak into the balsa too much. Use one light coat and sand it lightly with some 320 before laying the glass down. Also, if you go with different weight glass you'll get some high and low spots that will take a lot of filling. Consider 3 oz over the whole thing and keep the overlaps to a minimum.

Or just use Solartex to cover the wing - it's very tough and you can paint it.

btw, great kit and thank you for doing this thread. Jeff is a friend of mine and I really like seeing him get some credit for his amazing kits. Looking forward to seeing your paint scheme!
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Oct 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Thanks for the advice Reed. I'll get some polyurethane and try it.

Chris
Old Oct 16, 2010, 02:18 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,837 Posts
I use cheap hair spray to keep the epoxy from soaking into the wood. It can be used on both sides of the balsa, i.e. before bagging the skins onto the foam. If you have a vacuum bag, that's the best way to put 'cloth onto wood. It saves tons of sanding and usually fairs different weights of cloth into each other without a step.

Reed is right, make a hatch! I've got one of these kits in about the same status. I can't wait to get it going. Let us all see how you finish the motor area. I need ideas for that one myself. George
gavoss is online now Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,015 Posts
Don't always make it to the slope so e-powered mine and it's a fantastic flyer. Love Jeff's work for sure.
Slope P is online now Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:53 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Hair spray eh? I dont have any hair so I'll put it on the shopping list!

I dont have a vacuum bag either but painting on the very thin West sys epoxy seems to ok. I've only done this once tho...

Great pics Slope P. Nice to see a finished one as there aren't many around, especially in your cool paint job. Is the cowl removable or do you get access through the wing? Any chance of pics?

Thats 2 votes for a hatch now...
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:00 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,019 Posts
George is right, I've used the hairspray trick too and it works.

Slope P - do you just belly land that thing? Any trouble snapping props?
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:03 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Slope P you are in demand!

Any idea of the weight prior to electrifying it?

Any issues with the gull wing on landing? Did you glass the wing? With what weight cloth?

Your plane really looks great, very clean.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:39 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,015 Posts
Chris,

Thanks man.....

No issues what so ever with the wing. I sloped it a few times but LZ was tall grass. Wing is monokoted with fiberglass tape on all the joints. Been flying it for four years now.

Yes, the wing is bolted on and easy to get to everything and weighs a little over 3 1/2 pounds ready to fly with 3s 4000mah pack. I seem to remember Jeff did a light fuse for my e-version.

What pix do you want to see?

Get it built and fly it. It's fast and highly aerobatic.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:46 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,015 Posts
Reed,

Now you mentioned it I'd bring a spare prop. Been using the same Graupner 11/7 prop for two seasons now. I launch it on a bungee launcher and do land on it's belly but also have gears for it for the club runway. A 3s 4000 pack fits under the belly hatch so I did make the belly hatch removeble.

Still waiting for my JART 70 wing to be bagged. Can't wait to get that going. Been thinking of building two wings and make a e-twin out of one.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:12 PM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Slope P, I'd be interested in any pics of the inside of your Corsair for example the wing hold down bolts, gear layout etc

Received my servos today so roughly mounted them - another excuse to use the dremel, lol.

My PZ Corsair was involved in an unfortunate incident over the weekend and wont be airborne again but I stripped off all the useful bits and I think the canopy will be almost perfect. The spinner should be ok too.

Chris
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:41 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,015 Posts
Chris,

A little busy these days. Will try to take some pictures tomorrow.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:36 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
No problem.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:39 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,015 Posts
Chris,

Sorry it took a few days to post these pictures. Had to get new batteries for the camera.

LP