SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:33 PM
sw michigan
Joined Aug 2010
81 Posts
Discussion
Yahoo! Maiden my first nitro plane!

Hi! I just had to tell someone that my maiden flight with my first nitro plane went great! It is a hanger 9 pulse xt 40 with an os46 on it. This was my first attempt at an arf, and a nitro motor. I was unsure of break in procedure for the motor so one of the guys at our club helped me out ALOT. After initial break in it was time for some fun. Man this plane flies nice! This is the largest and first non foam plane I have flown. It feels so much more solid in the air then I am use to, and not having to change batteries after 6 minutes was so nice! I think I am hooked on nitro, can't wait to go again!
miller red is offline Find More Posts by miller red
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:17 PM
Jupiter Fl
Joined Mar 2010
562 Posts
Welcome to the other side of the Hobby! I started out with foam powered electrics also.

With that said, I cannot express how much I love flying my nitro powered Ultra Stick!

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Gregg
gsnewflyer is offline Find More Posts by gsnewflyer
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:40 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,686 Posts
Congrats on the maiden! Hope the fun continues for you.
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:02 AM
spartanburg, S.C. (US)
Joined Jul 2009
22 Posts
my first will be soon comin... hanger 9 jackal with a jett 56lx... like your self ive been flying fast ele.... nitro smell will be sooooooon....

robby
robbyvaughn9 is offline Find More Posts by robbyvaughn9
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:50 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller red View Post
Hi! I just had to tell someone that my maiden flight with my first nitro plane went great! It is a hanger 9 pulse xt 40 with an os46 on it. This was my first attempt at an arf, and a nitro motor. I was unsure of break in procedure for the motor so one of the guys at our club helped me out ALOT. After initial break in it was time for some fun. Man this plane flies nice! This is the largest and first non foam plane I have flown. It feels so much more solid in the air then I am use to, and not having to change batteries after 6 minutes was so nice! I think I am hooked on nitro, can't wait to go again!

Wait till you try the larger size ones...
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:51 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,332 Posts
Congratulations on the flight and let the fun begin!

I'm also a convert from foam. I started with the HZ Super Cub and then a balsa electric FW190 and finally smelled the fuel and haven't looked back. I quickly got a prop jet with a .75 and then a trainer for more relaxing everyday flying and am ARFing a Strega Mustang right now.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Oct 15, 2010, 08:37 PM
sw michigan
Joined Aug 2010
81 Posts
Ya looking back I think I would have been better off starting with a nitro trainer instead of having the 2 foam planes. I honestly don't think I will spend much flight time with the t-28 anymore. Even though it is a great plane this pulse just does everything so much smoother, faster, and longer, not to mention the sound and smell, which I love. But I don't know, the SC taught me a lot pretty quickly and the t-28 taught me a lot more and did wonders for my confidence. Anyway I can't woulda, coulda, shoulda, this is where I am at now and loving it!
miller red is offline Find More Posts by miller red
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:05 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
The joys of nitro...the hard starts, dead sticks, oily mess and noise. Your next step will be a 4-stroke...harder starts, more dead sticks, but less oil and noise. Then 2-stroke gas engines...wooden drill props, chasing down air leaks in fuel lines, dripping petrol and diagnosing electronic ignitions. Finally, 4-stroke gas engines for outstanding economy, sound and good torque (if you can only get it tuned right)...the look and feel of your first Saito or other high end engine that you admired in someone elses plane or in the LHS for so long

I have my electrics, but love my nitro/gas engines for the noise and smell, tuning triumphs and quick refuelling turn arounds. You eventually get good at tuning any engine. There's nothing like that little puff of smoke in a hard turn, or the burbling 4-stroke up high, or having to go around again because you set your idle too high...
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot