HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:48 PM
Joined Aug 2008
106 Posts
Discussion
S107 charging question

The Syma S107 comes with a USB cord to charge from a computer which I always use to preserve the life of the transmiter bateries. When the cord is used this way are you in a sense charging from a 120v source? What I was wondering was I've seen adapters to plug into a wall plug and you then plug the USB into it, using the wall outlet as the power source. Could these be safely used to charge the heli if a computer was not available? Thanks in advance.

Mike
ferret dad is offline Find More Posts by ferret dad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:58 PM
Z24
Tamiya For A Me A
Canada, ON, Strathroy
Joined Feb 2010
286 Posts
Exact same thing I was wondering.
Z24 is offline Find More Posts by Z24
Last edited by Z24; Oct 14, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
The USB voltage standard is 5V so yes, anything with a USB socket on it produces the same voltage.

Current rating is largely irrelevant. Charger only draws what it needs, less than the 500mA USB spec. Some computers seem to limit their USB sockets differently which only lengthens charge time at worst.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2008
106 Posts
arbilab,

so using an adapter that goes into the wall would be fine? This heli is charged by plugging into the heli directly and not thru a charger but I'm sure you know that. I don't want to burn up the battery or the heli itself by plugging it into the wall socket. If it works that way then great as access to the computer is not always available and using the TX would decrease battery life.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Something like this would work
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...FHTYMBE2PCDFHX
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:34 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
I have a half dozen of those USB AC adapters to charge all my sub micros while I'll flying one or two.

Here is a nice one with dual USB output so you can charge a couple of helis from one AC outlet:

http://www.meritline.com/usb-car-hom...--p-45795.aspx

Keep your Sub-Micro Fleet flying with a well stocked charging setup!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Last edited by Doubletap; Oct 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:19 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
You can plug the USB unit into anything with a USB socket, whether it's a computer, hub, or wallwart. They all produce 5V.
Last edited by arbilab; Oct 15, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined Aug 2008
106 Posts
Follow up....

While looking around on the hobby-estore site I found that they do sell a wall charger just for the S107 at only $5.00 so I ordered two, one for me and one for my son. Hes just getting into the heli thing since he sees me having a blast. He got a couple $19.00 cheapie 2-ch's he found on sale and has been playing around. I bought him a blue S107 (already have the yellow and the red for our grandson) and he loves it. Next up, a four channel.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:22 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Don't use this type of charger!

I just tried charging my S107 with a car charger for a coffee mug that has a USB port. The charging cable for the S107 got pretty warm and the light never lit up, but I continued to try and charge it this way- it didn't work, and now the helicopter won't charge any way I try. The electronics still work, but the battery is obviously not charged. Anyone know what happened? I just emailed Xheli.com (where I bought it) to see if they will help me with it (or replace it).....
BuckinBroncoMann is offline Find More Posts by BuckinBroncoMann
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:26 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckinBroncoMann View Post
I just tried charging my S107 with a car charger for a coffee mug that has a USB port. The charging cable for the S107 got pretty warm and the light never lit up, but I continued to try and charge it this way- it didn't work, and now the helicopter won't charge any way I try. The electronics still work, but the battery is obviously not charged. Anyone know what happened? I just emailed Xheli.com (where I bought it) to see if they will help me with it (or replace it).....
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me
One side of my USB lead started to melt
The USB charge lead is dead.
However you will need another USB lead for your S107

Does your S107 still charge from the transmitter?
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:38 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me
One side of my USB lead started to melt
The USB charge lead is dead.
However you will need another USB lead for your S107
Does your S107 still charge from the transmitter?
I also had a S107 usb charger that the Led stopped lighting up and s107 would not charge.
5 volts was going in but only 2.25 volts was being applied to the s107.
S107 charged fine with the S026 wall charger so I
Purchased a new USB charger from China for $2 shipped.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:01 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
The S107 does not charge off of the transmitter now either... I'm wondering if the charging port on the helicopter is fried. It looks ok visually though...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:50 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckinBroncoMann View Post
The S107 does not charge off of the transmitter now either... I'm wondering if the charging port on the helicopter is fried. It looks ok visually though...
Sounds like It fired the electronics board.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
The batt is only connected to the electronics when switch is ON. At the same time the charge port is disconnected.

However, there is a subregulator on the battery subject to failure if exposed to reverse polarity. The subregulator is a shelf item and cheaply available.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:48 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Thanks! Very helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
The batt is only connected to the electronics when switch is ON. At the same time the charge port is disconnected.

However, there is a subregulator on the battery subject to failure if exposed to reverse polarity. The subregulator is a shelf item and cheaply available.
Thanks for the insight! If xheli.com won't help me, I'll try my local hobby shop.