HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:22 PM
I cant land there!
Anaheim, CA
Joined Jan 2008
298 Posts
Discussion
HKDoppler: Doppler speedometer for PC/Android/iPhone

HKDoppler is an Android/iPhone app that automatically reports the speed of RC airplanes as they make speed passes. It calculates that speed using the audio doppler method pioneered by enthusiasts on these and other boards. HKDoppler was designed to be extremely easy to use; before flying your plane, you launch the app, press "Start Listening", and go! The app will be constantly listening for your speed passes and will vocalize the speeds as it detects them.

HKDoppler was designed to work with EDF planes, but actually works with many prop models as well. Please, download a trial version of the app, (search "HKDoppler Trial" on android or "RCS Starter" on the iPhone) for free and see if the app works with your model! The trial version will expire in 7 days and if you like the app, please support us by buying the full version! The app cost $3.99 on both the Android and Smartphone.

There is a lot more information at my website as well as links to download all versions of the app:
http://www.hkdoppler.com

If you are having issues with the app, please turn it on and set it next to a computer speaker, then go to this youtube video:
Windrider F 35 LSJS1400 5S (1 min 28 sec)

You should get at least one reading from this video. If you do not, something is wrong with your phone's setup.. please search the thread and post here and I'll get back to you asap. You can also e-mail us at contact@rcspeedo.info

Here's a short promo vid I created for the app:
RCSpeedo - Mobile Phone RC Plane Speedometer App (0 min 34 sec)

Original Post:
Hey folks, I'm nearing completion of development on an android (smartphone) application that continuously listens through your phones microphone, picks up on doppler shifts, and then audibly (and visually) reports the speed back to you. Basically it will be a nice, clean version of the "waveoscope" application the really smart folks on this forum have pioneered usage of to calculate jet/airplane speed from video, except this one will work automatically, with immediate response, on a smartphone It's got a lot of cool features that I'll touch on in a later topic when it goes for sale on the android market (I'm thinking $3 or $4 is fair).

Here's a video of the app in action:
RC Speedo for Android Demo (1 min 9 sec)
neonbjb is offline Find More Posts by neonbjb
Last edited by neonbjb; Jul 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: App name changed
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:30 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,927 Posts
Evo 4g

I got the EVO 4G Droid and I am going to a jet rally this weekend. Send me a PM or email

CRCJA at AOL dot com

Ralph
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:45 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
So is this app to dopler a video or the real things..
I have just ordered my latest lot of stock from Jeti, in this shipment is the new airspeed meter sensor.... Once I know what it reports I could probably compare the results of your app against it..
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:00 PM
I cant land there!
Anaheim, CA
Joined Jan 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorrock View Post
So is this app to dopler a video or the real things..
I have just ordered my latest lot of stock from Jeti, in this shipment is the new airspeed meter sensor.... Once I know what it reports I could probably compare the results of your app against it..
It dopplers the airplanes in real time. The way I've been using it is hitting the "start listening" button, putting the phone on a nearby flat surface and just flying. The phone will speak the speeds as you make your passes.

CRCJA: is it an EDF rally or a turbine one? The app is definitely weak with turbines currently as the sound of turbulent air tends to muffle the sound of the rotors, which is what you really need to perform this calculation.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:13 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbjb View Post
For right now, I'd like to get some feedback on it. I've tested it on my own planes, but my problem is that currently, my fastest jet tops out at 75MPH I want to make sure it works well in the faster echelons of speed, as that's where it's going to be most useful. So what I need is someone who:
1) Has a smartphone with an android OS that is at least as good as the Droid (ie it was released in the last year)
2) Has an airplane of some sort that can go faster than 130MPH
3) Is willing to help me out by taking a short video of the app working with the plane so I have some video demonstrations to release with the app.
I've got a Sprint EVO 4G and various Electra and eBandit planes capable of 200 MPH, we'll be shooting some video this weekend anyway. I was just thinking about this the other day too, funny...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:17 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,489 Posts
I have "Doppler Speed" for the iPhone (same type of app you are making). It is very accurate, so it would be a good comparison for your app if you have someone around you with an iPhone.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
I cant land there!
Anaheim, CA
Joined Jan 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
I've got a Sprint EVO 4G and various Electra and eBandit planes capable of 200 MPH, we'll be shooting some video this weekend anyway. I was just thinking about this the other day too, funny...

Jack
Jack, this would be interesting as around 180+ MPH is when the doppler shift becomes very hard to trace. I'm currently putting some finishing touches on the program that should allow it to track airplanes in this speed range. I'll get back to you tomorrow if I can get a copy out for you to help me test with! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I have "Doppler Speed" for the iPhone (same type of app you are making). It is very accurate, so it would be a good comparison for your app if you have someone around you with an iPhone.
Jim, I'm aware of this iPhone app, but to my knowledge it required you to press a button just before and after an airplane makes a pass to calculate the speed; is this correct?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:40 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,927 Posts
Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbjb View Post
It dopplers the airplanes in real time. The way I've been using it is hitting the "start listening" button, putting the phone on a nearby flat surface and just flying. The phone will speak the speeds as you make your passes.

CRCJA: is it an EDF rally or a turbine one? The app is definitely weak with turbines currently as the sound of turbulent air tends to muffle the sound of the rotors, which is what you really need to perform this calculation.
Mostly turbines, but enough EDFs to make it fun. Best in the West jet rally, I can doppler my Fly-Fly planes, Clay's Foremost, Tams fleet etc

Ralph
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:38 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,926 Posts
Well, neonbjb was nice enough to send me a beta copy of "Doppler Radar" (his Doppler Speed applet for Android phones). This version has a hard-coded temperature set now, it's just temporary (he asked what to set it at, I said 86 degrees F, perfect for South Florida this time of year). Take a look at the bit of testing I did;

Doppler Radar, Windows Media, High Definition, 221MB
Doppler Radar, Windows Media, Standard Definition, 21MB

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Oct 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
6,992 Posts
OK now that is a cool product!...I want one!...oops just a crapy phone...I guess its time to step up!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:15 PM
I cant land there!
Anaheim, CA
Joined Jan 2008
298 Posts
Thanks again for your help Jack, I look forward to hearing what you think of the app after testing it this weekend.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but the app will automatically use the phone's GPS to figure out the temperature/humidity of where you are at, so it should be accurate no matter where you are. The app also has/will have a couple of other features that aren't in the copy that I sent Jack; one of which is the past speeds list that he talked about in the video.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:48 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,782 Posts
Wow!!!

Do you think you can do one for an HTC using windows operating system? I want very bad......

Very well done.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:24 PM
Fairbanks Alaska
Joined May 2010
182 Posts
It would be nice if it automatically pulled the temp into the program for you using LBS.
unknown flyer is offline Find More Posts by unknown flyer
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:55 AM
I cant land there!
Anaheim, CA
Joined Jan 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown flyer View Post
It would be nice if it automatically pulled the temp into the program for you using LBS.
It will
Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:26 PM
Fairbanks Alaska
Joined May 2010
182 Posts
Great!
unknown flyer is offline Find More Posts by unknown flyer