HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2010, 02:14 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABAL99 View Post
hi friends Z06
i just saw your forum and that is funny because i just made something like you but it is a tricopter not a quadri
anyway i will post pictures soon , as i just made the frame
i am on the electronic set up now
Thanks post the pics when you can
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:39 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Just uploaded some vids in the 1st post. It handles the wind better than my Ripper built using the same motors/ESC/Frame but not as zippy. Seemd like it can carry more weight though but not what I was looking for. I was hoping it would be more powerfull than the 4 motor version. Gonna rebuild the Ripper a little lighter this time and only use 1 Hyperion 450mAh 45C LiPo.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:35 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
can you post the way you wired it up, with the y harness.

also the motor and prop direction please
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
Whats up Tony ?........I just wanted to show you an Octocopter prototype frame I just received from Paul at 3DX Hobbies.....It is lasercut from plywood.....We are looking for some one that knows enough about quad and octocopters to help us with the development of more frames.....We were thinking about selling this frame for between $30 and $40....we were also talking about incorporating retractable landing gear along with camera mounts.....We will also be looking for input from outside sources on other frame designs along with hardware and electronics.....People who give good input will receive free frame hardware and other goodies.......Paul owns a CNC laser cutter and produces the Airfoilz line of RC Depron planes.....
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
can you post the way you wired it up, with the y harness.

also the motor and prop direction please
Sure the top motors are wired per the Gaui manual
#1, #3 CCW
#2, #4 CW

bottom motors wired
#1, #3 CW
#2, #4 CCW

Since they are upside down if you flip them over they are actually running the opp way. If you look at them from the top they are spinning the same way as the motor above. For the Y harness I have motor #1 Y- split with the motor below it and so on. All the bottom props have to be mounted upside down. I tried every motor direction, prop combination etc.. and that the oly way it will fly with the GU-344. If I reverse the bottom motor wires and flip the bottom props over they top motor and bottom work against each other when you turn it cus 1 set of motors is turning 1 way and 1 set is turning the other way.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:11 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Sure the top motors are wired per the Gaui manual
#1, #3 CCW
#2, #4 CW

bottom motors wired
#1, #3 CW
#2, #4 CCW

Since they are upside down if you flip them over they are actually running the opp way. If you look at them from the top they are spinning the same way as the motor above. For the Y harness I have motor #1 Y- split with the motor below it and so on. All the bottom props have to be mounted upside down. I tried every motor direction, prop combination etc.. and that the oly way it will fly with the GU-344. If I reverse the bottom motor wires and flip the bottom props over they top motor and bottom work against each other when you turn it cus 1 set of motors is turning 1 way and 1 set is turning the other way.
Just flip the props around and don't reverse the motors

Basically you have the bottom props on backwards. They will work but not put out as much thrust that way.
Flipping them over they will still produce thrust in the same direction, but use less power and make more thrust.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:50 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Just flip the props around and don't reverse the motors

Basically you have the bottom props on backwards. They will work but not put out as much thrust that way.
Flipping them over they will still produce thrust in the same direction, but use less power and make more thrust.

Pat MacKenzie
I cant do that cus the prop would be going the wrong way. I would have to reverse the motor wires. If you own a quad go ahead and put your props on so the CW prop spins CCW and the CCW prop spins CW and tell me if it flies.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2002
17,105 Posts
Quote:
I cant do that cus the prop would be going the wrong way. I would have to reverse the motor wires. If you own a quad go ahead and put your props on so the CW prop spins CCW and the CCW prop spins CW and tell me if it flies.
The only quad I have is an old Roswell flyer.

Viewed from the front/top of the quad both props on yours go the same direction, so they should both face the same way.
All you are doing is tranposing them from the front to the back.

Flipping any prop around will not change the torque reaction or the direction the thrust goes. All it does is make it work less well

I still say your bottom ones would work better is they were flipped over so that the curved face was forward.

Try it out and see for yourself. Should only take a few moments. Flip the bottom props over and don't change any motor wiring.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:56 PM
Joined Jun 2010
549 Posts
yes that is correct^
bradleyK is offline Find More Posts by bradleyK
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:00 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
The only quad I have is an old Roswell flyer.

Viewed from the front/top of the quad both props on yours go the same direction, so they should both face the same way.
All you are doing is tranposing them from the front to the back.

Flipping any prop around will not change the torque reaction or the direction the thrust goes. All it does is make it work less well

I still say your bottom ones would work better is they were flipped over so that the curved face was forward.

Try it out and see for yourself. Should only take a few moments. Flip the bottom props over and don't change any motor wiring.

Pat MacKenzie
I have tried that. Again if you take your quad and put the CCW props on the CW motors it will not fly. Try it on your quad and tell me if it flies. A prop that is designed to spin one way will not work spinning the opposite direction.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:56 AM
Joined Dec 2002
17,105 Posts
Quote:
I have tried that. Again if you take your quad and put the CCW props on the CW motors it will not fly. Try it on your quad and tell me if it flies.
Of course it won't. But that is not what i am suggesting you do.

Quote:
A prop that is designed to spin one way will not work spinning the opposite direction.
It will work, but just not as well. And that is also precisely what you are doing with the bottom props, spinning them the wrong way, trailing edge first.

I probably should give up, but one last try to see if I can explain this.

Look at the picture you posted. The red arrow shows a regular right hand prop.
When spun in the direction shown it will produce thrust upwards and torque will be in the opposite direction to the rotation. The quad uses both these forces for control.

The green one is exactly the same kind of prop, but mounted backwards. It also spins in the direction shown. Thrust up, and torque in the opposite direction to the rotation. But it simply will not work as well at developing thrust as the front prop.
Flip it over and don't do anything to the motor and what happens?
Torque will be unchanged and still be in the opposite direction to the rotation, since that comes from the motor.
Thrust will also still be in the same direction as before, but you will get more of it.

Not sure what else to say, other than taking a prop off and flipping it over does not reverse its thrust or torque reaction. All it does is make it work more poorly. The fact that the prop is on a quad is irrelevant.

I am not saying you can take all the props and move them around on a quad. They have to be in the correct place to produce the correct forces.
But once you have them in the right place they should face the right way, so that the curved side and/or letters on the prop face "up".
If they are on the other way all the forces will be in the correct directions, but you are losing efficiency.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:59 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Because I am getting alot of guys telling me my props are on backwards and I am SURE they are not I did some searching and here it is a nice flying 8 motor uav like mine only looks like an MK and the props are the same.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1715
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:21 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,247 Posts
@Z06 Tony- Try taking a prop off of a bottom motor, flip it and put it right back on the same motor you just took it off of. Do that for the other three props as well. Let us know how it works out.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 25, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:49 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
@Z06 Tony- Try taking a prop off of a bottom motor, flip it and put it right back on the same motor you just took it off of. Do that for the other three props as well. Let us know how it works out.
I think I figured out why everyone is telling me my props are on backwards. The pic is not how they are mounted now as it would not fly that way. If you look at the 1st vid you can see I already switched them. I came to the conclusion that the power is not much more and I want a more agile quad and the 8 motors weights it down too much. Working on the Ripper 2.0 now. It has the same stuff as my 4 motor Ripper but lighter. Will post a link to the page when I get started.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Z06 Tony; Oct 25, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:59 PM
FRANCE
Joined Dec 2004
1,545 Posts
HI FRIENDS
here is mine
Set up is almost finished and maiden flight this week-end perhaps
i will post my own thread here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post16416161
KABAL99 is offline Find More Posts by KABAL99