HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:07 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Build Log
Worlds Smallest 8 motor Micro Quad "The Shredder"

I am building a 10" Motor 2 Motor 8 motor X8 Quad for Acrobatic type flying NOT AP. I have everything except the servo Y splitters and they should be here Fri. Cant wait to see if my idea works.

List of equipment used:
(4)Trex 250 booms
(4)Trex 250 Boom Mounts
(2)4" Square CF 1mm Thick
(8)Turnigy Plush 6a ESC's
(8)1811-2000 Brushless Motors 2000Kv
(8)5" 3 Bladed Props(4 rev & 4 reg)
(8)Prop adapters
(4)E-flite Ultra Lightweight servo splitters
Gaui GU-344 gyro
Walkera 22 LG

Videos:

Running on 2 Hyperion 450mAh 45C 3S LiPos

This is my DIY 8 motor UAV (The Shredder) (0 min 38 sec)

Running on 2 Hyperion 900mAh 45C LiPos

This is my DIY 8 motor UAV (The Shredder) (0 min 58 sec)

Running on 2 Hyperion 900mAh 45C LiPos

This is my DIY 8 motor UAV (The Shredder) (1 min 27 sec)
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Z06 Tony; Jan 29, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:46 PM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
for future reference, you can just solder the wires together and create a more reliable Y connection

Moe
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:57 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkmk13 View Post
for future reference, you can just solder the wires together and create a more reliable Y connection

Moe
Thanks bro. I thought about that but with 8 motors I am already soldering more than I want to. I have to do 38 solder points.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,492 Posts
Hey Tony, looking forward to seeing this. Good luck with the build.

Here is a way to make an easy to do the power distribution. I find this much easier than soldering a bunch of wires together.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Feb 10, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Started the build today. Got the frame togeather with some tall LG. The frame only weighs 65g. Should be able to shave a little more off but this is only a prototype frame. If it works I will rebuild it again and fix anything I did not like. Pics will be uploading soon
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:31 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Pics of the frame

Here are some pics of the frame. It weighs 65g. Forgot the back skids were taller so used some 600 canopy grommets on the front skids. Will add a plate between the skids and the frame to even it out on the final version.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Pics with the motors mounted.

Here are some pics with the motors mounted. I have 4 motors and ESC's wired up so far.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:34 PM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
looking good
waiting for some videos

what motor are you using?
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:38 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkmk13 View Post
looking good
waiting for some videos

what motor are you using?
Just listed all the equipment used for the build.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:01 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,047 Posts
Very interesting so far.

I recently got an AR Drone, and after almost fifty years of conventional RC and a bit of heli flying I am really flipped out by the concept of quads and multi rotor flying machines.

I will be following this with interest. It looks like "I eat rice burners" is an inborn instinct with you and I really look forward to seeing this aerial hot rod perform.

I love my Drone, but yearn for something much hotter that's small and that I can fly with a conventional RC transmitter. FPV, or at least airborne video would be important to me. Now you have me wondering how small I can go. I guess the limit is electronics since you have to lug a certain amount of it along no matter what.

Good luck.

Edit: Anyone care to comment on how compact and light the electronics can be made? The gears are spinning!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Oct 18, 2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:32 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Very interesting so far.

I recently got an AR Drone, and after almost fifty years of conventional RC and a bit of heli flying I am really flipped out by the concept of quads and multi rotor flying machines.

I will be following this with interest. It looks like "I eat rice burners" is an inborn instinct with you and I really look forward to seeing this aerial hot rod perform.

I love my Drone, but yearn for something much hotter that's small and that I can fly with a conventional RC transmitter. FPV, or at least airborne video would be important to me. Now you have me wondering how small I can go. I guess the limit is electronics since you have to lug a certain amount of it along no matter what.

Good luck.

Edit: Anyone care to comment on how compact and light the electronics can be made? The gears are spinning!

Pete
You want small?

Have you seen this?

http://www.snelflight.co.uk/QuadPod.htm
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:27 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Very interesting so far.

Good luck.

Pete
Thanks, its not brushless but I have a Walkera UFO #8 and a X-Wing I am selling. They are small. The X-Wing is a little bigger w/ a little bigger motors
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:30 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
I forgot to mention this project is based on the already successfull "Ripper" Here is the build log w/vids

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318363
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:09 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,047 Posts
Thinking about it I remember some early quads in one of the hobby shops I used to visit. The thing was way small and had a little dome over the center section. Never saw it fly and was not overwhelmingly interested at the time.

Now that I've flown the Drone and pondered on how it is controlled, I've gotten interested, but mostly to learn about and build one of my own.

Saw a video, (don't remember if it was here or elsewhere) of a guy flying a hex drone, losing a motor in a minor crash and flying on five motors. That impressed me since I was wondering about man carrying versions and safety. I guess with motors, the more the merrier. (and safer)

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:19 PM
romantist
Chicago
Joined Jul 2004
1,063 Posts
Wow, talk about power! Interesting...... Can't wait to see a video!
palomo is offline Find More Posts by palomo