Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:31 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0stal View Post
Questions.

I'm seeing a lot of these pop up for sale. Is it just the normal ppl get bored quick and move on or are there issues with this plane .. other than the steep price?

There are 2 hangin in my LHS ... I've been thinking about jumping on a used one...

v/r
Eric.
I've had zero issues with mine so other than having trouble landing in deep grass, no quality related issues at all. As for getting bored, maybe people just aren't pushing themselves. You know, if you're not crashing, your're not learning?
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:12 PM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
I've had zero issues with mine so other than having trouble landing in deep grass, no quality related issues at all. As for getting bored, maybe people just aren't pushing themselves. You know, if you're not crashing, your're not learning?

Word!

or maybe it's too much plane for some?
p0stal is offline Find More Posts by p0stal
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:14 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
...yes, $299 is a wad of $ but for the performance you get....its a bargain. no other pnp else can touch it in that price range.
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
What glue can i use?

Hello!

Too day I was out flying and had a "minor" crash :-)

What glu is the best too use on this plane?
Can I use epoxy?

/J
Joha76 is offline Find More Posts by Joha76
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:44 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joha76 View Post
Hello!

Too day I was out flying and had a "minor" crash :-)

What glu is the best too use on this plane?
Can I use epoxy?

/J
Direct from the owners manual;

"Repairs
Thanks to the construction of the Carbon-Z Yak 54,
repairs to the foam can be made using virtually any
adhesive (hot glue, regular CA, epoxy, etc). When
parts are not repairable, see the Replacement Parts
List for ordering by item number"

Cheers,
TomC
TomC is online now Find More Posts by TomC
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:08 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Direct from the owners manual;

"Repairs
Thanks to the construction of the Carbon-Z Yak 54,
repairs to the foam can be made using virtually any
adhesive (hot glue, regular CA, epoxy, etc). When
parts are not repairable, see the Replacement Parts
List for ordering by item number"

Cheers,
TomC

Gorilla glue !
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:46 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonso View Post
The only way to get the plane to fly right is to get that pig of a motor out of it. 7oz up front is way too heavy for a 48" wingspan. needs to be more in the 5oz/ 150g or under area and the plane feels good....no it feels great. Flys like it was designed to and you dont flex the landing gear out trying to land by getting all the weight out of the front. I dont know why HH put that motor in
lawlz its a good think you dont fly fuel planes. most fuel engines for a plane this size would be 10-16oz and fly just fine.

im really starting to believe most people having trouble with being "heavy" need to quit flying so many flat plate foamies with 5oz/sqft or less for wing loadings instead of normal planes with a 15-35oz/sqft wing loading. ive said it a million times. the plane has a good stock recommended CG, and its wing loading is smack dab right where it needs to be for a 3D plane of this size stock 16.2oz/sqft.

the way people cry about the stock motor size, being too nose heavy, the weight of the stock batteries. its a good thing most people in this thread do not fly fuel planes & easily a good thing they weren't flying 15 years ago.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Last edited by Toysrme; Jul 06, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:29 PM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
383 Posts
agreed. it floats around in harrier about as slow as any.
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:42 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Exactly what you said...."15 years ago" Its a new day fellas...enjoy it. They sure dont make them like they used to...and its a good thing they dont!
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:54 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
maybe if all you flew was crappy nicd brushed electrics...

myself. 9/10 id rather have the reliability, low cost extremely high power/weight of nitro. the yak is simply the "trunk plane" cause it's a good .30 size.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:33 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonso View Post
The only way to get the plane to fly right is to get that pig of a motor out of it. 7oz up front is way too heavy for a 48" wingspan. needs to be more in the 5oz/ 150g or under area and the plane feels good....no it feels great. Flys like it was designed to and you dont flex the landing gear out trying to land by getting all the weight out of the front. I dont know why HH put that motor in
Yes that is a heavy motor....will follow your lead on that.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:49 AM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
Thinking of picking a used BNF Z Yak that is in great cond, only flown 15 times, etc for $230.00. I have been wanting to get this bird since it first came out. I have been going through this thread and have seen some issues that guys have had. Does the new motor mount that HH is replacing fix the issues with cracking mounts, and also does a upgraded prop APC, etc help with the vibs? Is a upgrade on the servos necessary? since it looks like the stock servos are prone to failure. From all the flt reports the Yak seems like a great flyer, but I just don't want to keep throwing money into this thing if there are recurring issues.

Matt
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:01 AM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_matt View Post
Thinking of picking a used BNF Z Yak that is in great cond, only flown 15 times, etc for $230.00. I have been wanting to get this bird since it first came out. I have been going through this thread and have seen some issues that guys have had. Does the new motor mount that HH is replacing fix the issues with cracking mounts, and also does a upgraded prop APC, etc help with the vibs? Is a upgrade on the servos necessary? since it looks like the stock servos are prone to failure. From all the flt reports the Yak seems like a great flyer, but I just don't want to keep throwing money into this thing if there are recurring issues.

Matt
hi
There are the concerns I have about this plane.

Thanks for asking.
p0stal is offline Find More Posts by p0stal
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:47 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Does the new motor mount that HH is replacing fix the issues with cracking mounts, and also does a upgraded prop APC, etc help with the vibs?
I have just received the new style mount in the mail today. From just looking at it, I would think it would be much stronger than the stock one, although it looks to be made of the same material.

As for the upgraded prop, even if you buy an APC prop, it will still be slightly out of balance. Only question is how much, and you would probably still need to balance it. It's just that the stock prop is so badly out of balance, that you're better off buying a new one, even if you don't balance it.

Quote:
Is a upgrade on the servos necessary? since it looks like the stock servos are prone to failure. From all the flt reports the Yak seems like a great flyer, but I just don't want to keep throwing money into this thing if there are recurring issues.
I have 20 flights on the stock servos and they are working great. I personally really like the performance of the servos too. Although I did open up all 4 servos and inspected them, then glued the soldering connections down with epoxy.

As far as putting money into it, I think you don't have to if u read through this thead properly and figure everything out. I've had almost everything happen to me that hapened to everyone else on this thread, such as broken Servo Horns (both on the ailerons), snapped elevator, cracked motor mount... But all these things were fixed with just glue. Simple fixes... Doesn't have to cost much.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Last edited by xxxcellarator; Jul 07, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:04 PM
3D Want2B
United States, NC, Asheboro
Joined May 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
As far as putting money into it, I think you don't have to if u read through this thead properly and figure everything out. I've had almost everything happen to me that hapened to everyone else on this thread, such as broken Servo Horns (both on the ailerons), snapped elevator, cracked motor mount... But all these things were fixed with just glue. Simple fixes... Doesn't have to cost much.
Agreed! I'm close to 200 flights on mine. So far it's cost me two APC props (a 12x6 and a 13x4) and a $15 CNC motor mount. Roughly $25 over 5 months, that's bang for the buck in my book!
THEAUTOPICASSO is offline Find More Posts by THEAUTOPICASSO