HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:50 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
I've got just about a dozen flights on my Carbon-Z and I'm really starting to like it more and more. I tried it with a Turnigy 3000 but I prefer the 2650 Turnigy and the 2650 Zippy 40C's much better. Seems to fly a lot nicer with the lighter batteries.

My hovering seems to be improving, not nearly as easy to hover as a small foamie, but not too bad. My landings are dismal. Either I break off an elevator counterbalance or I nose over or both. Just ordered some lightweight 3" foam wheels in the hopes that they will cure that problem.

Overall, the more I fly it, the more I like it.

Ditto here on everything you just said. She likes the lighter batts so I'm sticking w/ the 2650's. Short flt time, but most of that at or near WOT.

Hovering definately tougher than on 3D profiles. She's got the power in spades but wants to wriggle all over the place. CG too far fwd? Probably; but moving it too far back makes the landings and T&G's porpoise-y.

The most fun I have w/ the Z is doing blenders at WOT. I swear it looks as if she'd explode in midair since the moves are so violent. What fun.

Also, I tried the 13x4E twice now and have gone back to the stock prop both times. 13x4 is longer and gets nicked easy on landings. Stock prop (for me, anyways) seems the best choice for speed & power.

cheers
Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 10:47 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,128 Posts
My plane has something vibrating loudly. It's most noticeable when the plane is at less than stall speed or when knife edging or pretty much whenever the plane is sucking some amps. It reallly doesn't go with motor rpm and I'm sure it's not the prop, motor or mount. I thought it was the gear buzzing in it's slot but I tightened that up but it persists. Any ideas?
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jul 03, 2011, 10:55 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I would guess its some part of the landing gear. Either the white cover piece or possibly the wheel pants.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:34 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
981 Posts
I had noises today that made it sound like gas engine. I landed and saw one eng screw almost falling out, and two other looses. All are now lock-tighten'd. Close call!

I have always had a spool up sound when I accelerate, but I believe it is the wheel spinning up.
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:26 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Mine sounded like a lawn mower LOL! I was thinking about taking whats left of the yak and installing it into this
Flying Mower (1 min 18 sec)
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:28 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,639 Posts
Changed all servos and added new motor mount....flying with 4S 2200.....I have to say, my first impression, this bird flies very heavy. Plenty of power for sure.....
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:41 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Changed all servos and added new motor mount....flying with 4S 2200.....I have to say, my first impression, this bird flies very heavy. Plenty of power for sure.....
The only way to get the plane to fly right is to get that pig of a motor out of it. 7oz up front is way too heavy for a 48" wingspan. needs to be more in the 5oz/ 150g or under area and the plane feels good....no it feels great. Flys like it was designed to and you dont flex the landing gear out trying to land by getting all the weight out of the front. I dont know why HH put that motor in
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:44 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonso View Post
The only way to get the plane to fly right is to get that pig of a motor out of it. 7oz up front is way too heavy for a 48" wingspan. needs to be more in the 5oz/ 150g or under area and the plane feels good....no it feels great. Flys like it was designed to and you dont flex the landing gear out trying to land by getting all the weight out of the front. I dont know why HH put that motor in
Which motor do you have in yours?
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
i have an exceed...cheapy. 140 something grams. 990kv I think. run a 12-6 apc. but you could get a hacker, torque or omega in that size range.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:20 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
896 Posts
I like the stock power setup, it's overpowered and a bit overweight for sure, but I like it, runs about 1000W with the 12x6 or 13X4 APC e-props. I also own a 3DHS 51" Slick(recomended Hacker A30-12XL 700kv 2650mah 4S lipo 650W), better 3D plane, floats better, and can do spins and flips quicker, but it isn't as powerful, and isn't as fast. Swapping a smaller/lighter motor would make 3D a bit better, but it would lose it's best attributes IMO, and probably still wouldn't be up to the Slick's level in slow flight. It isn't the 3D performance that sold me on the Yak, it is the 80MPH knife edges, turning it on it's edge and pulling a hard turn at high speeds, fast conventional and KE loops where the plane almost dissapears at the top, vertical blenders, and rocketing out of a hover into a 50MPH vertical climb as far as can be seen, the slick will fly better than the Yak in most other things, but not when it comes to raw power and speed, at least going by the reccmended setup.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Jul 05, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:43 PM
CQD
Joined Jul 2011
4 Posts
Modelflight Australia refunded me in full on my Yak Carbon Z due to multiple faults that they admitted the model had, vibration being one of those faults which cause them to sound like a nitro when the motor mount starts to break, most of the time this is not detectable to the eye as the mounts break behind the screws and anti vibration washers (some good they do lol).

My model was still in perfect order when sent back, but I just had enough of continuous inflight failures, she had tons of grunt and flew like a bird, was probably the most comfortable plane for me to fly to date, that being said when you pay $400.00 for a model you expect it to work without issue, one should not have to make better parts then the model came with, for instance the motor mount is made from diecast.....what were they thinking???, I could have resolved most of my issues by simply making another mount from steel, but even after making sure the prop I used was balanced it happened again, then I noticed that the prop shaft was not true, to make sure it was the shaft and not the armature I placed the shaft in my lathe and sure enough it was 10 thou out, turning it down made no difference as it left me with uneven thread that was sure to let go.

I ordered another two shafts and at the same time informed Modelflight of the issue, both shafts arrived the next day (amazing service from Modelflight) and both shafts were bent one was again 10 thou the other a mere 6, I turned the 6 thou one down and used it, plane flew great and just as I said to myself "that seems to have cured my issues" it started that horrific noise again, this time very loud indeed, I brought her down only to discover that the mount had broken again, I simply went back to my model room with the intention of replacing the mount AGAIN!, but when I put the new mount in and fitted the motor I spun her up again and noticed the noise still there on my hobby bench (pool table covered in black plastic , I grabbed the prop and checked for play and sure enough the rear bearing had disintegrated, no doubt caused by the continuous failure of the mounts due to shaft faults.

Again I called Mathew at modelflight and explained what was going on, again his service towards his customers is unsurpassed and the next day I had a new motor, new motor mount X2 and two new shafts couriered to my door (how bloody good is that?), so fitted new motor, mounts and re-used my turned down shaft as the two new ones were.....you guessed it, not true, I fired her up on the bench...dead quiet very smooth, so out the the strip I go, I give her what for and the outer edge of the left elevator comes off, right where the ply brace is, I landed her no issue there, but I check the other elevator and it's about to let go also, so out of sheer courtesy I call Mathew and let him know of this new development, I did not ask for new parts I informed him I will repair them, but the next day two new elevators arrived via courier, once again I have NEVER known such service from any vendor let alone a model plane supplier, although I should add here that Tates Toy Kingdom whom I purchased the model from know me very well, they know I am a well established pilot of 20+ years and they vouched for me in regards to the very first claim, I guess it helps when you deal with the same people for many years.

So even though I had repaired my elevators I thought I would bang on the new ones, but before I did I performed a simple flex test and one failed immediately as it was not even glued, the other failed with very little effort, again I informed Mathew and instructed him to NOT send parts and that I will use the repaired ones that I trusted, they never failed again, but the motor issues did, another mount went and I pulled the motor and the rear bearing was sloppy again, I simply re-packed it and sent it back getting a full refund and a very sincere apology from both Modelflight and Tates.

I had given up the balsa nitro's.....or so I thought, I am currently flying my 330 until my MX2 arrives, my troubles with that model are in the MX2 thread.

I love E-flight, it's clean it doesn't smell, it's not oily, you don't need a field box, which is a pain even when you have your own field, but damn it's so very hard to find value for money, over the last twenty years I can assure you all I have had every conceivable failure, both on the ground and in the air, but none as successive as E-flight foamies.

My father also flies, he introduced me to it when I was very young (I am 45 now) I watched my dad build Hustlers from scratch only to have idiots drop carriers on him and watch his work plummet ever groundwards, he too switched to E-flight but due to continual failures he just finished a scratch built "Ugly stick", but now he is too scared to maiden it, he put a lot of effort into modifying the originals problematic issues, I had two here from different eras and he had plans from a different era again and incorperated all the best aspects from both the models I supplied and the plans he had and then went the extra few yards to incorperate his own ideas, it is a truly beautiful model, but unless I get my hands on it, it will never see the horizon, and he wont let me fly it stating "if it's going to crash, I'm crashing it", dad still can't trim his models in flight, if they have an issue he lands them makes adjustments and flies again, quiet often he will hand the controls to me to trim the beasts in, he is almost 68 now and very set in his ways, I want to see this stick fly, but wont push him, he will do it one day I'm sure.

P.S the boats in the background are for sale.
CQD is offline Find More Posts by CQD
Last edited by CQD; Jul 04, 2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Because I like to type :)
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:41 AM
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
I like the stock power setup, it's overpowered and a bit overweight for sure, but I like it, runs about 1000W with the 12x6 or 13X4 APC e-props. I also own a 3DHS(recomended Hacker A30-12XL 700kv 2650mah 4S lipo 650W), better 3D plane, floats better, and can do spins and flips quicker, but it isn't as powerful, and isn't as fast. Swapping a smaller/lighter motor would make 3D a bit better, but it would lose it's best attributes IMO, and probably still wouldn't be up to the Slick's level in slow flight. It isn't the 3D performance that sold me on the Yak, it is the 80MPH knife edges, turning it on it's edge and pulling a hard turn at high speeds, fast conventional and KE loops where the plane almost dissapears at the top, vertical blenders, and rocketing out of a hover into a 50MPH vertical climb as far as can be seen, the slick will fly better than the Yak in most other things, but not when it comes to raw power and speed, at least going by the reccmended setup.
I have a 51 slick also and the yak will never be that plane nor should it try to be. the stock motor has a lot power and its fun to fly like that when your on it. I typically fly a mixed bag so I like my planes to be all things. My YAK still just as fast top speed, not as fast in the acceleration dept, but not sluggish either. i see what your saying, I just prefer the feel of lighter flying plane. a seven ounce motor belongs on a 55-60 inch plane IMO
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hook 'Em Horns!
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
Deleted
stevehookem is offline Find More Posts by stevehookem
Last edited by stevehookem; Jul 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:31 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,387 Posts
I had my first maiden flights (x2, ~5-6min) last Friday and all went well. A couple of clicks of trim and it flew like it was on rails. I had spent a fair amount of time balancing the stock prop and retightening the motor mounting screws. I did a full throttle ground run-up and the whole plane was vibration-free.

Based on what I've read I was expecting the worse but so far so good. I'll keep a careful eye (and ear) on things for sure.

The only problem I found so far is that the blind nuts that hold the elevators to the Fuz were poorly press-fitted and both of them pulled out of the plastic housing. I just applied a bit of CA and refitted them. I also used a bit of blue theadlocker on each bolt. Both seem fine now.

Also, I'll probably ditch the wheel fairings and use some larger 3 inch foam wheels since our grass strip is a little lumpy/bumpy.

Another club member has had his for over 7 months now. He initially had a problem with the motor mount (first production run) and he got a buddy to make him a better cnc motor plate. He has not had a single problem since then and loves this plane.

So far I'm very happy and impressed with this plane.

Cheers,
TomC
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:07 AM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
Questions.

I'm seeing a lot of these pop up for sale. Is it just the normal ppl get bored quick and move on or are there issues with this plane .. other than the steep price?

There are 2 hangin in my LHS ... I've been thinking about jumping on a used one...

v/r
Eric.
p0stal is offline Find More Posts by p0stal