HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:28 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
774 Posts
Thanks guys - It looks like I will need to go in from the bottom and modify the innards.

BTW I replaced the aileron servos with HS 82mg's and put 3 flights on them today with no surprises. Considering the dremel and filing work to get those fat daddies in, I wish I had just saved my pennies and stepped up to the smaller HS 5055 or 65's for what should be a much easier fit and with less modification to the servo trays required.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Last edited by crobar; Jun 18, 2011 at 02:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:02 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,138 Posts
Actually I'm in the process of building mine from parts. Waiting on more servos to complete.
krexken is online now Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,122 Posts
Servo Alternatives

Has anyone used HS-81MG's as replacement servo's?

If so, how do they compare with the stock 7140's?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 19, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
I hope they are not using the same quality of servos Eflite used on blade 400 helicopter. They was really bad quality about $15.00 to replace them and the $3.00 sg90 servos was better than those. Sorry eflite but my perception of your brand name and many other peoples perception based on this product, is very bad. I wont buy an eflite again.
Oscar J is offline Find More Posts by Oscar J
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:01 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
After many, many, many hours spent trying to get the Turnigy 3648 to work with the stock prop adapter and trying to figure out why the servos are acting weird, I finally got things figured out and then after readjust the aileron clevises, one of the horns broke/shattered where the screw goes through from the clevis. This was simply from working with the plane on my bed, haven't even gotten close to flying it yet! LOL
I mean, like, are you serious?!!! I've never had anything like that happen before, even on the chinese crap that everyone say are poor quality. And trust me, I didn't tighten it like a gorilla, just snug. Looks like everyone's predicament of this plane is happening to me as well

As for the stock prop adapter on the 3648, the stock motor has about 1/2 the shaft length as the 3648. So the stock prop adapter sits on the tip of the 3648's shaft since it doesn't have a deep enough channel. Therefore the prop also sits extremely far from the motor/plane. As a result, even the slightest imperfection will cause an outrageous vibration at full RPM (even if the prop is perfectly balanced like I had balanced mine). It vibrates so bad, to the point where you cant even hold the front end. I ended up braking the stock motor mount in the process. Had to make another using one of the Turnigy X-style motor mounts. So in the end I scrapped the stock adapter and used the one that came with the motor and now it's spinning smooth like a baby's bottom.

As for the servos, they were freezing up under use. every 1 or 2 seconds of moving them around they would stop for a split second then resume. It ended up being some kind of incompatibility with the Turnigy UBEC that I was using. I had 2 of those UBECs, one of which was from a plane that it has been working in for a long time, and they both did the exact same thing. So I installed a Hextronic UBEC instead and it worked perfectly.

Now, I'm onto the freakin Servo horns. I'm wondering if I'll ever get to fly this thing. I'm going to cut a piece of Wing Skid in the same shape as the unbroken horn from the other wing and epoxy it over the broken one. It won't be pretty, but it'll work.

I hope all this effort will pay off in the end. Thought it would be nice to share my experiences with this plane, so others can be prepared when buying it.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Last edited by xxxcellarator; Jun 19, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:07 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Guys,

After making all the mods and upgrades to the Yak, I maiden her yesterday. It was a warm, bright and sunny day but very windy @ 12.5 MPH.

Waited for a while for the winds to die down but to no avail, I decided to fly.
I was amazed at how it took off, no bad tenancies and just one click of up elevator and one right click for aileron.

Though the wind was bumping it around I was able to fly hands off and she seems to track straight between no turbulence periods.

I did a few approaches and was happy with how it slows down with no sign of stalling, way slower than the PZ Extra. So all in all, I love the way it flies though I was not able to do too much except for a few loops, KE and rolls.

I did a touch and go and then came around back for a single bounce landing Wind was still blowing strong so could not grease her in as I would have liked to.

A few pics I took.
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:13 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Congrats on the maiden. I dusted mine off today and got a flight in. Has been sitting for a couple months.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:51 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
OK nothing fancy but here it is. First flight of the yak after a couple months of collecting dust. Pretty much just a few rollers and some harrier flight. First test with a 13x6.5 prop so I removed the throttle curve I had for the 12x6 setup. I guess I am spoiled by my much lighter 3dhs Extra Shp but I'm sure with a little tweaking and maybe a throttle curve put back in she would be good. With all the extra air over the surfaces I could probably use some expo tweaking as well. Hard to judge by one flight. Heck I didn't even think to trim till almost the end of the flight. LOL

Eflite Yak 54 Carbon Z - Testing the Turnigy power setup!! (6 min 3 sec)
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:21 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Congrats on the maiden. I dusted mine off today and got a flight in. Has been sitting for a couple months.
Hey Bro,

Thanks Man. Happy that you flew yours, did you ever give her some real upgrades. It really flies nicely, well you do too lol.

I have been flying for a while now, since 1995 but had not for the last six years due to new house, kids and business. I flew giant scale aerobatic planes so brushing up with this.

How does it harrier roll and do rolling circles? Any bad tendencies?

Were you filming with the GoPro Helmet cam?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:33 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
BTW Tom, I love the sound from your Yak, really cool. How much were you asking for the Yak?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
It really does harrier rolls very easily. You can do them the traditional way with aileron, elevator, and rudder or it will even do them without rudder input if you increase the elevator. Probably the one thing it does as good if not better than my 3dhs Extra Shp. It needs a little more attention with harrier flight then my Shp but then again the sfg's and the pound less weight really help on that one. Besides the few issues with quality control I was in love with this plane before I got the Balsa. Now I am so used to the Shp it just feels different. I am flying on very high rates here but the plane tracks like it's on rails on low rates. I have the throws really maxed out here and could probably back them down a little or add some more expo. The 13" prop changes it quit a bit and will need a little tweaking here and there to get it dialed in to my liking.
I was filming with a Sony bloggie hd camera taped in a xm radio case to a hardhat. I am a little unhappy with the auto focus and the inability to disable it. Otherwise it's a great camera.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
OK nothing fancy but here it is. First flight of the yak after a couple months of collecting dust. Pretty much just a few rollers and some harrier flight. First test with a 13x6.5 prop so I removed the throttle curve I had for the 12x6 setup. I guess I am spoiled by my much lighter 3dhs Extra Shp but I'm sure with a little tweaking and maybe a throttle curve put back in she would be good. With all the extra air over the surfaces I could probably use some expo tweaking as well. Hard to judge by one flight. Heck I didn't even think to trim till almost the end of the flight. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9-90pjYivI
Hey!! tominator, you're using the same motor that I'm going to be using. Thought I'de be the first one to try out that motor on this plane. Clearly not 13x6.5 and only getting 750 watts on fresh battery? That's quite low, and much lower than even the stock setup. Are you using 4s or even 3s?

I've just finished fully testing my setup (as I mentioned in my previous post) and I ended up going with 11x5.5 on 5s. I had tried a 12x6 initially, but that was pulling way too many watts and amps. Was getting about 1400watts on Medium timing with 80+ amps. The 11x5.5 gives me 1250-1300 watts on High timing on a fresh battery and pulls close to 70amps. This is how I have it setup at the moment. It goes down to 1100-1200 watts and 60amps if I set the ESC to Medium timing. I'll change it to Medium timing if I find that I don't need that much power. I also bought a 13x4 prop. I'm pretty excited to see what that'll give, but I'm only going to try it after the first flight. I'm suspecting that on Medium timing, it will give me the same numbers as the 11x5.5 on High timing (1200-1300 watts). I suspect this to be the case since I know the 13x4 is less stress on the motor compared to the 12x6.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:39 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I'm running 4s 2650 packs. Are you running the superbrain 60a esc? Are you testing with the built in flight logging? I tested mine with a watts up meter with a battery that I only used to setup the esc with. Hmm you got me thinking now. I will go test again and see if I had a bad battery.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:43 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
It really does harrier rolls very easily. You can do them the traditional way with aileron, elevator, and rudder or it will even do them without rudder input if you increase the elevator. Probably the one thing it does as good if not better than my 3dhs Extra Shp. It needs a little more attention with harrier flight then my Shp but then again the sfg's and the pound less weight really help on that one. Besides the few issues with quality control I was in love with this plane before I got the Balsa. Now I am so used to the Shp it just feels different. I am flying on very high rates here but the plane tracks like it's on rails on low rates. I have the throws really maxed out here and could probably back them down a little or add some more expo. The 13" prop changes it quit a bit and will need a little tweaking here and there to get it dialed in to my liking.
I was filming with a Sony bloggie hd camera taped in a xm radio case to a hardhat. I am a little unhappy with the auto focus and the inability to disable it. Otherwise it's a great camera.
Thanks for the reply Tom. Cant wait for a less windy day to start pushing it.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:59 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Lol I'm not running the same motor I don't think. You mentioned running the 3648 and I am running the 3548 aerodrive xp. I am charging a pack now to test with though. What kv are you running?