HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:18 AM
Italia, Toscana, Pontedera
Joined Oct 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C View Post
You should add broken fuselages to the list. Mine broke while landing on its 5th or 6th flight (Yep right behind the wings).
Sorry Bro, I landed mine more than 100 times, with and without wind, sometimes very strong, side comeing and never broke anything, we all know Carbon Z is a Z-foam bird and we know that carbon structure is reserved to half wings and rods, not fuselage...so simply you hit the ground too hard...I can assure you, if you brake this bird landing, you'll totally destroy a balsa counterpart...they are REALLY fragile so this time it is not our yak fault

Beleive me, this bird can handle very strong landings with just some minor gear bending...3d ultra light balsa planes, very often loose gear during not perfect landings...
RadamanZero is offline Find More Posts by RadamanZero
Last edited by RadamanZero; Apr 26, 2011 at 12:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:10 AM
3D and slope Pilot in training
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadamanZero View Post
Sorry Bro, I landed mine more than 100 times, with and without wind, sometimes very strong, side comeing and never broke anything, we all know Carbon Z is a Z-foam bird and we know that carbon structure is reserved to half wings and rods, not fuselage...so simply you hit the ground too hard...I can assure you, if you brake this bird landing, you'll totally destroy a balsa counterpart...they are REALLY fragile so this time it is not our yak fault

Beleive me, this bird can handle very strong landings with just some minor gear bending...3d ultra light balsa planes, very often loose gear during not perfect landings...
Agreed i did quite a few heavy landings bending landing gear and even had one parachute landing without breaking anything.

But its all sorted out now..... my landings are feather light now.
Gotlieb is offline Find More Posts by Gotlieb
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:25 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
To add to the fuse discussion, my first break was when I hit a pipe that was sticking one foot out of the ground with a wing. It slammed the tail down, breaking the fuse. The next day it broke again on a hard landing; but that was likely because I did not add any sort of spar when epoxying it back together. So if I hadn't broke it by hitting the pipe, I may not have ever broken it on the hard landings.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:36 AM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
It would be hard to break the fuze in this bird with a landing.. My CZ YAK-54 needs quite a long run way, as it tends to "float" in during landing for me, especially with the 13X4 prop. I cut the power and she floats in during landing, where I stall it by flairing at the last few seconds before touchdown. Compare this to landing my PZ Extra 300, where I have to land it somewhat hot, and it's a night and day difference..
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:44 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
I now have 50+ flights on my Yak. I installed an APC 12-6 before the maiden and everything else is stock out of the box. Canopy still on, motor still solid, original servos still working and still in one piece despite a couple of heavy arrivals. I did however complain to Mr Somenzini at SEFF that my Yak didn't seem to fly as well as the ones in the noon demos

John
Happy Yak owner
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:25 AM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
Well FML. Went flyin this morning at my local grass field and snapped the fuse on landing. Was a bit windy but not to much for me and conning in for landing about a foot off the ground a gust came and put it in hard and snapped right behind the canopy. Heading to my LHS to get some carbon rods. Now do you get round rods an push it into the fuse, if so how do you keep it strait so it won't go through the fuse, or do you get flat and glue it to the outside and then paint it.
Sniperp is offline Find More Posts by Sniperp
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:27 AM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Can a few of you guys PLEASE post links to the particular 5mm prop adaptors+spinners you are using with your APC (Landing Products) props?

I was able to ream out the center of a 12x6E prop WITH an exacto knife to use with the stock adaptor. I only recommend this if you are in prison and don't have anything else to do.

Anyway I had one stock prop left and used that unbalanced. Then I managed to swap on my unbalanced 12x6E prop that I reamed out on the stock prop adapter. The plane flew very nicely (much quieter) but I’m concerned that the prop will spin with the absence of teeth on the prop to mate with the stock prop adapter teeth. What setup is working for you?

motor mount broke? Yes, broke after a dozen flights.

unbalanced prop? Yes, 2 out of the 4 I had were really out of balance.

servo problem? No servo problems after days of flying.

lost canopy? No problem with canopy.

Are you a happy Yak-54 owner? Yes, love this plane. I replaced the broken stock motor mount with that CNC aluminum one and the APC props and love the setup. Now I’m looking for an aluminum prop adaptor for the APC props.

It's amazing how the motor did not fly out of the plane with the motor mount broken at all 4-points. The outer edge of the motor contacting the outer splintered motor mount pieces was the only thing holding the motor in place.
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Last edited by jdwphotos.com; Apr 26, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadamanZero View Post

Amen on the landing abuse this thing can sustain.

As for the breaking behind the canopy, I haven't had a broken fuselage yet. But I did noticed yesterday that I was in the habit of carrying the plane with one hand (powered off of course) by the section aft of the canopy. In hindsight, it's probably not the best way to hold a plane. It's akin to carrying a 50" long object near it's lightest point.

I actually once had 38" styrofoam warplane snap in half while I was holding it in this manner (yes I know...some people never learn).

The funny thing is that I don't think I carry my balsa planes in such a haphazard manner.

Anyway, I've started making more of a conscious effort to carry it at the wing root or the cowl.
NJNJperson is offline Find More Posts by NJNJperson
Last edited by NJNJperson; Apr 26, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:49 AM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
Scorpion 5 MM prop adapter.. $3.50 each.. And you will not have to ream out your prop anymore with APC props.. Just slide the correct ring into the prop cut out, and slide it onto the 5 MM prop adapter..

http://www.gravesrc.com/INNOV8TIVE_D...opadapter5.htm
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:45 AM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr View Post
Scorpion 5 MM prop adapter.. $3.50 each.. And you will not have to ream out your prop anymore with APC props.. Just slide the correct ring into the prop cut out, and slide it onto the 5 MM prop adapter..

http://www.gravesrc.com/INNOV8TIVE_D...opadapter5.htm
Since I order from HH, is this the right adaptor?
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/.../EFLM1925.html

and Prop
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...APC12060E.html

How do I determine which Spinner I need?
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:50 AM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
That will work.. You will not use a spinner on this combination.. The round nose of this prop adapter is your spinner.

I prefer the scorpion one, however as it is much easier to tighten a nut than the HH one..
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:08 AM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
The only thing that isn't quite right with using these "foreign" prop adapters is they move the pop too close to the cowl as you can see below:

I'm debating what to do.. I would need an aluminum washer I guess, but not sure who has them.. Does anyone else have some ideas? Seems for better airflow, you need to move the prop forward..
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:26 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
I now have 50+ flights on my Yak. I installed an APC 12-6 before the maiden and everything else is stock out of the box. Canopy still on, motor still solid, original servos still working and still in one piece despite a couple of heavy arrivals. I did however complain to Mr Somenzini at SEFF that my Yak didn't seem to fly as well as the ones in the noon demos

John
Happy Yak owner
I would use the thinnest/smallest flat piece you can get. Place it along the bottom of the fuse, but cut a little "slot" for it to slide in to so that you can orient it vertically. If you go through the attachments in this forum, you will see pics of what I did with mine. Extremely strong. So the "wide" sides of the flat cf strip should face horizontally, and the "thin" side should face the top and bottom of the plane.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Ace Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr View Post
The only thing that isn't quite right with using these "foreign" prop adapters is they move the pop too close to the cowl as you can see below:

I'm debating what to do.. I would need an aluminum washer I guess, but not sure who has them.. Does anyone else have some ideas? Seems for better airflow, you need to move the prop forward..
Thanks for the info guys. This is a big help. As far as the aluminum spacer, I'd suggest going to a hardware store (like Ace in our area). The store near me has tons of little hardware pieces that you can buy individually - works really good for finding make-shift hobby parts if you are creative. Now I know to head over there with this new spinner before heading to the field.
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
896 Posts
I run APC props on the stock spinner/adapter. At first, I just held the spinner backing plate as I tightened it down, but it was tough to get it tight. Then I used a thin(about 1/16" thick) rubber washer behind the prop, that worked well till I got it twisted and chewed it up swapping props. Now, I filed shallow flats on the outside of the adapter peice, and use a wrench to hold it while I tighten the prop, this works best. You want to file it fairly shallow aout 1mm, just enough to hold it, I made a wrench from a peice of thick sheetmetal around 8 gauge or 1/8" steel, filed to fit, and bent to get in there better.

File on each side where the red mark is, no lower being the flare at the end is thinner than the rest of the outer adapter.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Apr 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM.