HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:43 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ferry View Post
Yeah... I've been wondering that as well. I've gotten a ton of comments & questions on this plane as a "transition plane from epp" on my blog as I'm a EPP blogger www.3dpastor.blogspot.com but personally, I'm still not sold on it / I still prefer the epp options available in this size range. I think there are planes in the same size range, made of epp - that are just as good performance wise, yet retain the resilience of epp - and are cheaper! :-) For instance, The Bouncer from tufflight.com is my latest build - and I find it more than capable. Put Quique on the sticks and I'm sure he could make it look as good as his Carbon Z. :-)

My 2 cents. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Vw6KcZmCM
I don't see the yak as simply a transitional plane from EPP, but a very potent and versatile aerobatic, pattern and 3D plane that is a great step for people who are progressing from a variety of disciplines. I love flying profile foamies, they fly slow, fly precise, and can take hundreds of bumps and bruises, but at somewhere around 1/2 to 1/3 the weight, power and wing loading of a balsa 3D plane with similar dimentions, they just can't pull the fast spins and fast aerobatics of the multi-role planes. Same with sport planes, they are usually set up for faster flight, lower static TW ratios and have smaller surfaces in order to make them not as twitchy at higher speeds, and as a result suffer in post stall manuvers. The Yak seems aimed squarely at the smaller 3DHS 3D planes, and should be able to do everything from slow and low 3D to fast patterns, perhaps with a flip of the DR switch or a prop change. If it lives up to the hype, it should be somewhat easy for those progressing from parkzone warbirds to get into mixed 3D and aerobatics, those moving from profile foamies to include more capabilities for IMAC style aerobatics, and people flying high end 3DHS planes for a cheap and simple practice beater. Hopefully we can find out soon if it lives up to the hype.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 11:51 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
alucard0822,

I agree with you 100%. I had (still have, actually) the Multiplex Acromaster which was a great transition plane between a trainer and a real pattern plane. Though touted as a pattern/3D plane, the design was really for "pattern practice" and didn't 3D very well. I'm guessing that the Carbon-Z Yak will be to 3D what the Acromaster was for pattern - it should fly just like its balsa couterparts but without the fear of crashing it.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:33 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
903 Posts
stopped by my LHS last night, looks like this is scheduled to ship 12-10
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:51 AM
Syracuse NY USA
Joined Feb 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
I don't see the yak as simply a transitional plane from EPP, but a very potent and versatile aerobatic, pattern and 3D plane that is a great step for people who are progressing from a variety of disciplines. I love flying profile foamies, they fly slow, fly precise, and can take hundreds of bumps and bruises, but at somewhere around 1/2 to 1/3 the weight, power and wing loading of a balsa 3D plane with similar dimentions, they just can't pull the fast spins and fast aerobatics of the multi-role planes. Same with sport planes, they are usually set up for faster flight, lower static TW ratios and have smaller surfaces in order to make them not as twitchy at higher speeds, and as a result suffer in post stall manuvers. The Yak seems aimed squarely at the smaller 3DHS 3D planes, and should be able to do everything from slow and low 3D to fast patterns, perhaps with a flip of the DR switch or a prop change. If it lives up to the hype, it should be somewhat easy for those progressing from parkzone warbirds to get into mixed 3D and aerobatics, those moving from profile foamies to include more capabilities for IMAC style aerobatics, and people flying high end 3DHS planes for a cheap and simple practice beater. Hopefully we can find out soon if it lives up to the hype.
Definitely get your point - no argument from me on it either - its a good point. We will all find out soon, as you said, if it will indeed lives up to the hype or not. Thanks for the thorough, yet kind reply.
Mark Ferry is offline Find More Posts by Mark Ferry
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:33 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
122 Posts
I like the size of the plane !!!
I will try at least ONE plane ....
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:04 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
Yaks will begin shipping in the US tomorrow.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:49 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post

You guys are awesome, I'm Doin the happy dance!!!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 04:25 AM
Australia
Joined May 2008
98 Posts
Not posted in a while. Have been waiting 2 fly this and got my chance a few days ago. Normally fly only balsa this size (Sebart Katana 30e, Precision Aerobatics Extra 260). This yak is pure fun, yep it has a higher wing loading than previous planes mentioned, but 2 me this added 2 the fun. Perfect linkage geometry with surface horn attachment directly over the hinge line. No coupling in slow high alpha knife edge BUT it was real windy. This is what surprised me as it flew pattern superbly in turbulent wind but still 3D'd well also. Flat spins upright, inverted, knife edge spins really excell from extra weight. Have to admit I did drop it a few times unexpectedly on full stall landings due wing loading as used to sebart katana 30e and PA extra 260. Only had one flight on the plane as a mates but have to say i was really surprised how much fun i had. The stock power setup was odd for me to 3D as it seemed laggy until i got used to it. Very different to VOX 14x7 on 3s etc but loved the power when it winds out. Overall Great combo of Power,3D, Precision, Control Surface Geometry,STRONG landing gear and FUN.
3Dehover is offline Find More Posts by 3Dehover
Last edited by 3Dehover; Dec 11, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:29 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Apr 2003
416 Posts
Four Carbon-Z Yaks were in stock at the LHS this morning!
tdriedger is offline Find More Posts by tdriedger
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:14 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
I have one of these on order. I assume that the servos on this plane are not junk servos?!?!? What a bummer if I have to immediately tear this plane down and change out the servos to MGs or Karbonites.

----

Ah...I see "Digital High Speed Metal Gear." Cool.

- Richard
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:15 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdriedger View Post
Four Carbon-Z Yaks were in stock at the LHS this morning!
Hey tdriedger! Is that small hobbyshop still in San Carlos? Can't remember the name, it's been something like 20yrs since I went there when I was in HS Oh! the memories!!
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Last edited by M3_matt; Dec 12, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:06 PM
Joined May 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post

I put my backorder in but see it says now shipping late december..... Are they going to ship before or after christmas??? Thanks~
keon718nyc is offline Find More Posts by keon718nyc
Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:41 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
I put my backorder in but see it says now shipping late december..... Are they going to ship before or after christmas??? Thanks~
As I said above, we started shipping last Friday the 10th. Usually we ship to dealers who participated in the launch program first, followed by all other orders a few days later.

We should be caught up shipping all orders before Christmas.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:08 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
just got home from a quick trip to my LHS to pick up some stuff I'd ordered and guess what they got in today... (3) Carbon-Z Yaks!! two BNF's and a PNP

ooooh man was it hard to not take one of them home with me aaarrrghh
(I'm waiting on the ParkZone P-47)
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:51 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
............waiting for Atlanta Hobby to ship mine now.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1