SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Only if you strip out those set screws...And even then, I would call HH and make them give you a new motor. Although I can buy more stuff as soon as I sell my motor I do need some TP for my Velox (Thunder Power batts)
Well, a new v2 motor seems better than the old stock motor. I'll keep the stock motor to "experiment" on later.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:08 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
v2 motor? didn't know there was one.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Over-the-counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
v2 motor? didn't know there was one.
Please pardon! I should have written the motor available from HH as a replacement for the stock motor, i.e, EFLM7300/BL25 Brushless Outrunner Motor,1000Kv page 16 in the instruction manual.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:24 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Oh you ordered another stock motor. I thought they might have come up with something different already.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:32 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Please pardon! I should have written the motor available from HH as a replacement for the stock motor, i.e, EFLM7300/BL25 Brushless Outrunner Motor,1000Kv page 16 in the instruction manual.
Are you going to buy this? If so, you are just perpetuating HH's lack of respect for the customer. Call them after/if you can't manage to get the set screw out and make them give you a new one. It's the only way things will ever change around there. They glue those things in specifically to force many customers in to purchasing replacement motors instead of shafts.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Last edited by StormJunkie; Apr 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Oh you ordered another stock motor. I thought they might have come up with something different already.
Yes, I hope the replacement motor I ordered is as described by StormJunkie in post #807.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:38 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Oh, it will be as I described...But why would you chuck $70 out to them because of a manufacturing issue? They will continue their business methods as long as consumers like us allow it.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:38 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if an EFlite power 32 motor would make the Carbon-Z Yak too nose heavy. I might also need to go to an 80 amp ESC. But the plane would be a rocket!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:39 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Hey Storm will it be very obvious that my shaft is bent if I power up the motor that was in the crash or will I have to put a dial indicator to it? I never even checked it just assumed.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:41 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
It should be pretty obvious tom. Look at it from several angles, but if it's bent it will appear to wobble when it spins.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Oh, it will be as I described...But why would you chuck $70 out to them because of a manufacturing issue? They will continue their business methods as long as consumers like us allow it.
Well, (walk of shame) this one is on me. I crashed the plane flying in 20mph wind with gusts and bent the motor shaft.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:44 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
The stock motor is in fact the elf7300 bl 25 but what he was saying is the actual motors that were installed in the production planes have the glued in set screws but the replacement motors don't. Here is a pic of the one out of my Yak.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
It should be pretty obvious tom. Look at it from several angles, but if it's bent it will appear to wobble when it spins.
Yep, that's what my motor and shaft did after the crash. But at least the motor was good for one more flight after the crash!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:47 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
I understand that Trill; but HH sells replacement motor shafts because we (the consumer) are supposed to be able to replace them. So you crashing, short of destroying the entire motor, is not a reason for you to have to buy a new motor.

I know you already bought a new motor, but I would go ahead and try and replace the shaft on the other one. If you can't; call them and request a new one. This is not just an issue with the Yak, but with every PNP, BNF, RTF they sell and it's not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Yep, that's what my motor and shaft did after the crash. But at least the motor was good for one more flight after the crash!
You still have a perfectly good motor...What you don't have is a good shaft in it.

One thing to remember when replacing the shaft is to put a hole big enough in the two by four or spread the 2 2x4's far enough apart that the C clamp has room to fit between them when you tap the shaft out.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
BTW, my "V2" motor mount arrived from HH today. I don't know about the quality, but at least it is thicker than the original motor mount.