HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Check post 633. That has nothing to do with rookies. Actually I am a rookie and I had 40 good flights on it before I had to replace a servo. The new servo took me out.

After that, it just depends on how much time you want to put in to it. I hate the stock paint job, so for me it was just too much work to try and stay in it. Plus having to reglue or reinforce so many parts (control horns, spars on rudder and elevator, etc)...It was just way too time consuming for me. It is a fun plane to fly when it works right though.

And if you crash pretty hard, well then foam, balsa, or anything short of steel really isn't going to hold up.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:08 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Well I've been following this thread for awhile since I've been thinking of getting the Yak 54 after it came out. Really like the idea of the foam construction. Kind of eases your fear of crashing but now with all the reported issues I'm reconsiderring on getting one. I already have a 3DHS 41" Edge 540, 47" Extra 300 SHP V3, 42" E-Foamy and a PZ Corsair so I thought the Yak 54 would also be a good plane to have. Any advice on holding out or passing on getting the Yak 54? I really like the plane but to put out that much money on a BNF and then only have to put more money into it to make it reliable seems wrong. Just not sure if the issues aren't user error or newbes getting the plane because its made out of foam thinking that they can fly but really don't now how to fly. I guess it comes down to if I get the Yak 54 BNF and have issues beyond my control or lack there of, is HH going to correct the issue? Thanks!
RC_Feen,
I'm a newbie to the 3D scene, and recently bought the CZ Yak54 because I wanted a plane I could fly fast, precise aerobatics and start stepping into 3D. For me, this plane has been perfect. I can honestly say it's some of the most fun I've had flying an RC plane in the past year. While I only have a few weeks worth of flights on this plane, I haven't had any issues. I believe the others in this forum that have had issues, but I still believe those are the minority and for the vast majority, this plane is a quality product. I can only speak from my own experience, and time will tell if I'm fortunate enough not to have any mechanical issues.

My $.02, I think you'll really enjoy the CZ, but I can't guarantee you won't have any issues. My experience with HH customer service has always been positive, but I can't speak for others...
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:31 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Thanks!

StormJunkie....I've been following your post with all the issues you've had. From what you've stated....to me the Yak 54 doesn't seem worth the hassel and I've been real happy with my 3DHS planes so far. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:39 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
RC_Feen,
I'm a newbie to the 3D scene, and recently bought the CZ Yak54 because I wanted a plane I could fly fast, precise aerobatics and start stepping into 3D. For me, this plane has been perfect. I can honestly say it's some of the most fun I've had flying an RC plane in the past year. While I only have a few weeks worth of flights on this plane, I haven't had any issues. I believe the others in this forum that have had issues, but I still believe those are the minority and for the vast majority, this plane is a quality product. I can only speak from my own experience, and time will tell if I'm fortunate enough not to have any mechanical issues.

My $.02, I think you'll really enjoy the CZ, but I can't guarantee you won't have any issues. My experience with HH customer service has always been positive, but I can't speak for others...
Good point jpt1205! I appreciate the feedback.
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:00 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Almost new motor for sale if anyone is interested. Great price to have it as a spare.

In all fairness, it is a very fun plane to fly and if it wasn't for the time involved in the paint/trim job; I would likely still be flying one. Still have everything I need to build one up again one day minus the ESC & fuse. Going to hang on to that stuff and I may give it a shot again one day; but for now there are better ways for me (personal choice) to spend my time and money.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:04 AM
3D and slope Pilot in training
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Had a great time this morning flying my Yak. So far only the landing gear pisses me off a little bit. I will modify the gear by removing the pants and getting bigger wheels for grass landings.
Gotlieb is offline Find More Posts by Gotlieb
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:10 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
The dubro diamond treads look really cool on the Yak! The gear do bend fairly easily, but that likely saves other parts on landing.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:25 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
The dubro diamond treads look really cool on the Yak! The gear do bend fairly easily, but that likely saves other parts on landing.
The gear is really tough, was flying the other day with my dad in essentially calm conditions with 15mph gusts lasting anywhere from a few seconds to a couple minutes. I was harriering around, hovering, and torque rolling, came in to land in a gust, flying slow with the nose about 15 degrees up and 10' high, looking to set it down when the wind stopped dead, and the plane stalled and dropped flat on it's gear before I could get on the throttle(did have enough time to close the throttle). The gear spread far enough that the fuse touched the ground, the throttle was off, annd the prop was oriented where it didn't hit, just bent the gear a little, no other damage, and I bent it right back, and was in the air again within 5 minutes.

It did get interesting later on when I had my dad on a buddy box with the HZ UM Champ I got him for christmas, the little thing is actually pretty stable in the wind, but he flew it out about 200 yards down wind when a long and heavy gust came through and it took about 2 minutes to fly it back and land just about vertically at full throttle on a picnic table. Had him try my profile Xtra slick, and fly a simple circuit with the Z on very low rates, of course buddy boxed with my DX6i and DX8(gave control of ailerons and elevator only for the Z, I kept control of the rudder and throttle). He had a blast, first time he flew RC, although he was an F-4 pilot and instructor in the USN, has 500+ carrier traps and cat launches, spent 4 decades in military and civilian full scale planes and has a Masters degree in aeronautics, so he was a quick learner to say the least, and is now hooked I moved out of state, so we don't get a lot of time, so hanging out with dad and flying RC was awesome.

The stock gear does fine in moderate grass, just hold full up elevator as you taxi, pulsing the throttle, and the tail will stay planted, and as you roll out to takeoff, just back off the elevator as the plane starts to lift, and lifts off. For landing, just come in warm, but not fast, with a little throttle, keep the nose up to set the rear wheel down a couple inches before the mains, as you roll onto up elevator, and roll off throttle, the drag should pull the mains down while the tail stays planted, go full up, and taxi back.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Apr 16, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:36 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Hey alucard, you going to assist me one day when I decide to spring for that three axis Futaba gyro?

Yes, the gear is tough; but as you stated they will bend. Bending them back is not a big problem. Have done that with several gear sets before I got my landings down a little better. They may not look straight, but as long as it tracks straight, that is all that really matters.

Uploading a neat vid testing the spar that I put in the fuse (It's my old busted fuse). Will post when done.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:15 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Hey alucard, you going to assist me one day when I decide to spring for that three axis Futaba gyro?

Yes, the gear is tough; but as you stated they will bend. Bending them back is not a big problem. Have done that with several gear sets before I got my landings down a little better. They may not look straight, but as long as it tracks straight, that is all that really matters.

Uploading a neat vid testing the spar that I put in the fuse (It's my old busted fuse). Will post when done.
Sure, although I've only set up a microbeast 3 axis gyro on a Rex450 FBL converted heli, no other 3 axis units. My yak is running 3 separate gyros. I would like to see the spar video, sounds interesting.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,277 Posts
Since I fitted an APC 12x6E prop my Yak has been great.

No problems

Another local flyer is the same.
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Interesting, and it helped me relieve some aggression this bird has give me 15 min more on upload.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:33 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Interesting, and it helped me relieve some aggression this bird has give me 15 min more on upload.
I can only imagine Storm

I am rebuilding the yak as we speak. Got the puter in front of me so I don't miss out on anything good today.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:43 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Here it is...Tom, you should not have that problem at the elevator hinge area as your spars runs from just under the Rx hatch, all the way to the tail of the plane.

Carbon Z Yak Spar (0 min 52 sec)
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:56 AM
3D and slope Pilot in training
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
LoL aggressive video
Gotlieb is offline Find More Posts by Gotlieb