HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,597 Posts
Please get Pheonix to add this to the Simulator!!!!
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:14 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdriedger View Post
51" AJ Slick
Wingspan: 51"
Length: 51"
Wing Area: 535 sq.in.
Weight (RTF): 55-63 oz.

Carbon-Z Yak 54
Wingspan: 48"
Length: 48.5"
Wing Area: 525 sq.in.
Weight (RTF): 60-61 oz.

... and the Slick spec calls for a smaller battery - 2200-2650mAh vs 2800-3200mAh
The Carbon-Z Yak 54 48" is a brick infront of PA Extra MX (58") included a 6S battery and the setup produces mighty 1000 Watts :-) Lets not compare it with that league

Courtesy:

Wingspan: 1,472mm / 58 in
Length: 1316.5mm / 51.83 in
Flying weight (including batteries): approx 1750g / 61.7oz /3.85lb
Wing area: 721 sq inch
Wing loading: 12oz/sq.ft
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:02 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Looks cool, and should be a big step up from the Extra300 for sport and IMAC flying, but the weight and 16.2oz/sq ft wing loading might be tough to overcome for 3D, just a hair lighter than the 17.25oz/sq ft wing loading on the Extra300 that Horizon states is too much for 3D. The video looks awesome, but I'm sure most demo pilots on Horizon's payroll could make a flying toaster look impressive, it remains to be seen how it's slow and post stall characheristics are with the "average" 3Der. The price is steep, but really is in the same ballpark as an ARF built similarly, and if it has the same rigidity as balsa and approaching composite, but the repairability of foam it might be a nice user friendly alternative. If it has the throws, "minimal coupling" design and control to overcome the weight, then I'd love to pick one up, but I fear it's a 60" plane stuffed into a 48" package, wider than scale wings or a pound lighter would have probably helped. However the design is cool, and I can't wait to see what is next, a 48" BNF Beast or Challenger III would lower the wing loading a lot, and be pretty cool.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Oct 15, 2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:49 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Kind of scary posting new airplanes in this forum sometimes. While comparisons are great and will always be made it is always fun to see the views of members on how an airplane should be made.........and how it should fly well before the airplane even makes it into a single consumers home.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Last edited by sun.flyer; Oct 15, 2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:09 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,597 Posts
My only concern is price. Most Eflite planes are decent. This one seems high. However in today's economy most will complain either way. I would like to see one on the sim, or in person. Looks like a nice plane. Only time will tell.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Oct 15, 2010, 08:42 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
HH is coming out with so many new planes I can't keep up!
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:17 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
I own and fly different types of foam airplanes. The new model looks like someone has put in a lot of time and effort into the design. I own several Multiplex airplanes paying higher prices for quality and proper design, I have no regrets. Anyone notice the fully air-foiled tail control surfaces? Considering the quality of the airframe along with quality electronics the prices seems very good. The big advantage of foam is durability, ease of repair and cost of replacement parts.

Does anyone know if they are using a larger version of a metal bell outrunner like the Parkzone Extra 300?
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:17 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer View Post
Kind of scary posting new airplanes in this forum sometimes. While comparisons are great and will always be made it is always fun to see the views of members on how an airplane should be made.........and how it should fly well before the airplane even makes it into a single consumers home.

Tim
I agree 100%. Hopefully when the plane is in the hands of the masses the reviews from end users will be unbiased and fair. The concept looks good to me,not sure why balsa arfs are put on such a pedestal by some only considering the design material used for this plane alone.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:27 AM
Triple boxed goodness!
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
I think E-Flite have done a pretty good job with this one, I think it fills the gap between profile foamies and full on balsa 3D ships. Still easily repairable and looks like it fly's well and does most if not every 3D in the book.

Tim, will you be getting this one for review? If so, I look forward to it.
simon737 is offline Find More Posts by simon737
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:44 AM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
why would I pay $400 for an carbon added flying beer cooler?

I love parkzone foam planes and horizon too, but really $400 just because its some new foam carbon infused?
I completely agree, if I pay that much I prefer balsa no foam.
shoeler is offline Find More Posts by shoeler
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
QuiQue has some excellent thoughts in the vid.
Thanks for that.

UM side bonus for me...
Seeing the UMX Beast next to the UM 4-site.
Just the size I was hoping for!
HH bring on the Beast!!

rc
And whats that micro-warbird on the left? Ah it's the e-flite p40, nevermind.
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:42 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
I agree 100%. Hopefully when the plane is in the hands of the masses the reviews from end users will be unbiased and fair. The concept looks good to me,not sure why balsa arfs are put on such a pedestal by some only considering the design material used for this plane alone.
+1 Bill!!!

Tim
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:48 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeler View Post
I completely agree, if I pay that much I prefer balsa no foam.
Who says you have to spend $400?? That is for the BNF version..............there is a PNP version as well.

Don't need a battery pack? Don't need an extra charger? Don't need a rx? Then get the PNP version and save yourself a $100. I'm wondering how many people on here even new there was a PNP version.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...075#quickSpecs

Tim
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:57 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon737 View Post
I think E-Flite have done a pretty good job with this one, I think it fills the gap between profile foamies and full on balsa 3D ships. Still easily repairable and looks like it fly's well and does most if not every 3D in the book.

Tim, will you be getting this one for review? If so, I look forward to it.
Simon,

I agree with your above comments. While it's true it is Quique on the sticks from what I can see in the video there doesn't seem to be a lot of excess stick wiggling or control surface corrections for the maneuvers he is flying in the video. The moments on this plane tell me it should fly precision and 3D fairly well and the stock power setup looks more than adequate for even the most power hunger pilot.

Not sure on the review thing Simon as the plane was just announced yesterday. Definitely looks like it would be a fun plane to review though.

Tim
Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:21 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,554 Posts
I think it looks great and look forward to flying one!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer