HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,434 Posts
E-Flite Carbon Z Yak54 Un-Boxing with Chuck T

well although this is a plane that has been out for a while, it is the one i have chosen in my next step forward in this hobby and seeing as so many have followed me in the past few years from my first UM J-3 Cub to this, i thought you too might like to see how i go with this next level of flying. In this video i un-box the Carbon Z and show you how well it comes packed, it is the sort of quality we expect from E-Flite. Then i show you how i set up my controls and you can see the huge movement the control surfaces have. We listen to that super strong motor too and boy does it sound sweet. Then in the next video we will have the maiden and your see just how well this plane flew, so keep an eye out for that one, or just Subscribe and get notified when i put a new video up. Anyway i hope you enjoy this next step in ChuckT's flying adventures

cheers chuck

E-Flite Carbon Z Yak54 Un-Boxing with Chuck T (9 min 3 sec)
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:23 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,438 Posts
Nice one Chuck. Best of luck with your maiden. I maidened mine over a year ago and it flew like it was on rails. Very easy to fly on low rates and a 13x4 apc prop (balanced) helps keep the speed down a bit (also hovers better).

cheers,
TomC
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:03 PM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
349 Posts
My first few flights went perfect.

1 12 2013 Yak 54 F1 (4 min 21 sec)

1 12 2013 Yak 54 F2 (5 min 28 sec)

1 12 2013 Yak 54 F3 (5 min 21 sec)

1 12 2013 Yak 54 F4 (5 min 1 sec)

1 12 2013 Yak 54 F5 (5 min 57 sec)
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
349 Posts
What's the best prop that will give the yak54 a little more speed? I have a few 12x6E and a 12x8e ?????
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,434 Posts
E Flite Carbon Z Yak54 Maiden with ChuckT

Finally got an early morning with little wind, so we were out at 7am getting the maiden flight in, of the E-Flite Carbon Z Yak54 and can i say, i did have a little "klacker factor" having never really flown anything like this before, all was put to ease the moment the Carbon Z Yak took off. She flew away fairly straight and rock steady and after 2 clicks of right aileron trim the Yak flew "hands free" As your see in the video, i was soon feeling a little more relaxed and started to really get a hang on this planes air frame's characteristic's
Anyway for those that have been following my adventures i can tell you this is one very nice airplane and easy to fly on the low rates and expo suggested in my unboxing video. Keep an eye out for another video in a month or so, to see how we are going flying the E-Flite Carbon Z Yak54

cheers chuck

E Flite Carbon Z Yak54 Maiden with ChuckT (7 min 54 sec)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Congrats on the maiden flights!
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:18 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeguy5 View Post
What's the best prop that will give the yak54 a little more speed? I have a few 12x6E and a 12x8e ?????
I'd bet the 12x8 will give it more speed but it might be pushing the limits of the motor and ESC, depending on your battery. Probably fine for short bursts but I'd still put a wattmeter on it and do the ol' finger temp test after a flight.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Apc 12x6E is fast enough for me.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:08 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
I'd bet the 12x8 will give it more speed but it might be pushing the limits of the motor and ESC, depending on your battery. Probably fine for short bursts but I'd still put a wattmeter on it and do the ol' finger temp test after a flight.
A 12x6 at static shows 1005wattts @ 68amps WOT. 12x8 and you'll be looking for trouble with the stock ESC.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Oct 2006
38 Posts
Had to have a little fun with some LED's.

Yak 54 at night - Maiden flight (1 min 33 sec)
mvaneck is offline Find More Posts by mvaneck
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:35 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
So after weeks of being nervous about flying my Yak after the unfortunate Extra 300 disaster, I took her out today and gave her a proper maiden.

The wind was negligible today, maybe 5 MPH. That was a sign that it was time to get over the fears. Pre-flight showed I had the elevator reversed. A tweak to the DX7s and we were off. With faster planes, I like to get them in the air quick and throttle WAY back. I had my throws on low and it was a great day!

After about 2 minutes trimming her out, I was ready to climb and roll. And roll she did. I'm not anything more than intermediate (if that) with planes yet. This one was pretty forgiving in the error department. I flew her for about 4 minutes and decided it was time to land for the first time. That was a bit edgy but I got her on the ground pretty easily. After checking everything to make sure all was in one piece, I took her up again and flipped the throws to high. I'm thinking as I do the first roll, "I'm NOT ready for high throws...yet." I flipped the throws back down and flew some patterns. Getting it back to the ground was just as easy the second time. All in all, I'd say it was a confidence building day.

Question: how does she handle in 10-15 MPH winds? Those are pretty normal for this time of year. I'm wondering if I should shelve her until the calmer winds come back in a month or so.

I LOVE this plane. I just hope HH gets my 300 back soon. Been over TWO weeks and they STILL haven't looked at it.
davebales is offline Find More Posts by davebales
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,434 Posts
we flew ours today in real gusty conditions they handle it with ease didn't even feel the wind, i flew the new VisionAire first then my yak great morning out, i about to edit some video of the VisionAire so if you watch that when its up your see the sort of wind we flew in

cheers chuck
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:16 AM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
we flew ours today in real gusty conditions they handle it with ease didn't even feel the wind, i flew the new VisionAire first then my yak great morning out, i about to edit some video of the VisionAire so if you watch that when its up your see the sort of wind we flew in

cheers chuck
Thanks Chuck. LOVE the reviews and flight videos. Keep it up, sir.
davebales is offline Find More Posts by davebales
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:52 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Picked up the yak today, first 3d plane for me. Im coming from highspeed fpv zephyrs and a couple helis, cth assassins.... Been flyin a radian pro for awhile but its no more for me. Gunna maiden this weekend, any final advices. Stock plane with apc 12/6, servos are on their way..... Hs85's
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:13 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
980 Posts
Jeepers, I wouldn't select the CZ Yak 54 as my first 3D plane.. Too heavy. Put it back on the shelf, and select a light 3D EPP plane to start with. There are many 39 inch EPP foam planes ready to fly that weigh 16-18 oz that will just float..
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr