HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:18 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
If you bought it new then most of the issues are fixed. Throw out the stock prop and put an apc 12x6 on. You'll need to ream out the hole to fit the shaft. Once you get used to flying it, put on a 13x4 and let loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwong View Post
Hi All,

Hope everyone had a nice break during the holiday season :-)

I picked up a new Carbon Z and read as much as I could to see if this plane has any issues and the biggest one that stick are the motor mount, elevator servo and prop.

Had a look at my motor mount and it's made out of metal and seems pretty thick. Will it still break, One fellow said it crumbled like a cracker in his hand, is the stock metal mount really that brittle?, should I replace it.

I have spare hitec servos therefore will probably replace the elevator servo...what about the rest of them.

The stock prop I will replace with a spare apc 12x6e that I had kicking around.

Thanks All,

Gord.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:40 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
If you bought it new then most of the issues are fixed. Throw out the stock prop and put an apc 12x6 on. You'll need to ream out the hole to fit the shaft. Once you get used to flying it, put on a 13x4 and let loose!
Hi Str8Madness,

Yes, I bought it brand new and here is a pic of the motor mount. Does this mean HH fixed the servo issues as well

My friend's plane has this motor mount and no issues with many flights on it :-)

Hopefully the same is true for me.

Thanks for the reply and Happy New Year.

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, TN, Shelby
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
yes thats the improved motor mount, everything will break before that mount. So says my evil twin (the bad pilot)
moose115 is offline Find More Posts by moose115
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:11 AM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
I have the original one on mine, but had no trouble so far, well i will buy the new one before she goes back in the air

Also is the right screw on yours tight enough? Might be just me but the one looks 3 threds out👀

Happy new year!!! X
Tomas
carlostomasso is offline Find More Posts by carlostomasso
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:44 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
Hi Tomas,

Good eye, the screw is not all the way in....I removed the motor mount to check it for any defects and didn't bother to tighten everything up as I am still in the process of giving everything a once over.

My friend was flying his Scimitar today and notice it's using the same servos as the Carbonz which are the 7140s, hopefully HH addressed the servo issues.

Still wanting to replace the servos unless other owners have no issues with the servos that came with the newer motor mount.

Thanks,

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,886 Posts
I've never had any trouble yet with the original servos. Mine is old old one from first bunch of planes. I have new motor mount furnished by HH, but it's in the parts drawer so it hasn't been a problem either.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:30 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
More problems! I was flying today, wind was solid 12mph(verified by calling the local airport tower) and gusting even worse. On my 5th flight I was coming in for a landing, and the wind pushed the yak off the runway toward me. I ducked and expected a slightly rough grass landing. Well there was a guy just standing behind me on the flight line, who I thought would have moved when 1. I announced landing and 2. When the plane started coming toward me. Anyway, the left wing hit him and crashed the plane, breaking the wing, right elevator, landing gear, canopy, and prop. I was not too happy about what happend, but of course to him it was "my fault" for hitting him, even though he shouldn't have been standing there.

Oh well, I guess I'll spend about $30 and put her back togther....again
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:33 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwong View Post
Hi Tomas,

Good eye, the screw is not all the way in....I removed the motor mount to check it for any defects and didn't bother to tighten everything up as I am still in the process of giving everything a once over.

My friend was flying his Scimitar today and notice it's using the same servos as the Carbonz which are the 7140s, hopefully HH addressed the servo issues.

Still wanting to replace the servos unless other owners have no issues with the servos that came with the newer motor mount.

Thanks,

Gord.

I haven't had any servo problems. The CZ servos are actually the same as the parkzone t28 rudder/elevator servos, just one is branded eflite and one parkzone. They cost the same, around $15 ea. They aren't hitec quality, but they are a 13g metal gear servo. It sounds like you'll be fine. Also, most of the reported servo failures happend on the ground instead of the air, although not all. I haven't seen any bad servo reports lately, so like I said, you should be o.k.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
love the yak!

Was out flying my QQ collection yesterday, the yak was simply awesome.
I am soo happy to have this instead of my extra 300.
The yak feels as a big plane, the HS servos are like a diamant smooth, silent, fantastic.

The knife edge was just mind - blowing, the guys on the field just did not breathe
I had some nanotechs 4 cell 3300 70c.

Thank you HH.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:09 PM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
My lovely flying day
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
Chrome grill on my yak

Not the best picture, but u might see my chrome-silver grill on my yak. This is just to make it different
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:23 PM
Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlostomasso View Post
Not the best picture, but u might see my chrome-silver grill on my yak. This is just to make it different
The silver grill gives it a nice touch, good job!
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Feb 2010
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptykon View Post
The silver grill gives it a nice touch, good job!
Thank you Triptykon!
My Mrs could not understand why do I spend hours painting something painted from factory

Well RCG boys will understand
Tomas
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlostomasso View Post
Thank you Triptykon!
My Mrs could not understand why do I spend hours painting something painted from factory

Well RCG boys will understand
Tomas
I know exactly what you mean. I repainted my entire yak!
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:21 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,406 Posts
Finally maidened mine this morning and what a sweet flying plane this is loved it Corinne got some video so will be doing a video soon

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker