Got my Hyperion 3025-8 in today! It's fitted up and ready to go
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:26 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,113 Posts
Cool. What prop and battery are you using with it? I think I'm going to try an 850kv 3025 next swing a 13x6 on 4s.
krexken is online now Find More Posts by krexken
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:52 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Various size 4s batts. I'm going to try a 12x6 on slofly's recommendation, but I'll bring a 12x8 & 13x4 along too
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Let us know how you like the 3025! It pulls around 1,000 to 1,200 watts depending on prop so keep in mind the flight times might be a tad less. Set your timer low at first and see how much you drain.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:06 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Tried to fly today and no matter what I did, the esc refused to arm, or even beep. I'm very frustrated.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:19 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
What esc are you using? Do you still have the safety switch?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Eflite60. And yes. I think it armed yesterday but i can't remember for sure
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:40 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
With the 3025 you might want to put a 75 or 80 amp esc in there and ditch the arming switch. I would do a watt test on various props if you can that stock esc working. If you want a good 80 amp esc for around $50 look into the hobbywing esc. The pro has a case with heat sinks, 5 or 6 volts to servo. The fun fly is lighter with no case, 5 volts to servos and a tad cheaper than the pro version. Check out www.falconsekido.com for info.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:26 PM
Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Can I use a 4s 3300mAh lipos or will this be to nose heavy? Just starting out with the plane and these are lipos i have sitting around
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:22 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptykon View Post
Can I use a 4s 3300mAh lipos or will this be to nose heavy? Just starting out with the plane and these are lipos i have sitting around
You should do fine with the 3300mah, you may need to put it furthest back in compartment to get the c of g correct though.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
You should do fine with the 3300mah, you may need to put it furthest back in compartment to get the c of g correct though.
I maidened it today and it flew well. I have a thrust 40 swinging a 13x6.5. I wanted a little extra power. One complaint is the soft gear. Even on a smooth landing it spreads apart and has some play front to back in the slot provided for the gear.
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Oh so sweet!

Will make an excellent self Christmas gift for Dec 2011.

rc
just ordered mine reckon it will make a great 2012 Christmas gift to myself

have always liked the look of this plane but really didn't think i was ready for it yet BUT! after a year of flying hard every week and flying so many different types of aircraft too i reckon i'm ready for the next challenge

I looked at the many great planes available for that next step, but with my love of this Horizon stuff and the fact that Modelflight has all the parts in stock, i went with the Carbon Z Yak54

so it arrives tomorrow

hope we get some good weather this weekend, at the moment it's not looking good

cheers chuck

PS Anything i should know about my new plane? i'm thinking all problems should have been sorted by now
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:05 AM
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined May 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post

have always liked the look of this plane but really didn't think i was ready for it yet BUT! after a year of flying hard every week and flying so many different types of aircraft too i reckon i'm ready for the next challenge

I looked at the many great planes available for that next step, but with my love of this Horizon stuff and the fact that Modelflight has all the parts in stock, i went with the Carbon Z Yak54

so it arrives tomorrow

cheers chuck

PS Anything i should know about my new plane? i'm thinking all problems should have been sorted by now
Awesome plane! It's the third plane I bought after getting in the hobby and the only issue I've had is with landing gear. The wire tends to bend back and forth "mushrooming" out the foam inside making the gear very loose. My quick fix was using "great stuff" brand spray foam insulation. The tube fits right in the slot the gear is in and by holding gear forwards while foam dries it works great. I have had to do this twice as i land on grass runway so there's more force pulling back on it than if you land on a hard surface. I have had issues wrecking other airplanes on take off as i had gotten use to taking off full throttle and elevator to shoot straight up quickly. I stalled and crashed a few other models before I realized my issue. This plane has done so well for me over the last year that i havent even broken a prop! Also I have not had any issues with servos or any electronics in it nor have I broken the motor mount yet. (Issues others have posted about) happy flying!
Sailmac1 is offline Find More Posts by Sailmac1
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
BUILD IT LIGHT & WIND IT TIGHT
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post

so it arrives tomorrow

cheers chuck

Mine is nose heavy with the stock LiPo all the way back tight aginst the firewall. To me the YAK-54 is as easy to fly as my stock APPRENTICE "UH ON LOW RATE'S" as a TRAINER and I mean low-low rate's cause you can dial it down to fly most AWESOM"LY !!!. And when you want to cut loose on high rate's OH BOY PURE AWESOMENESS !!!. ;} Oh yeah you have some AWESOME VIDEO'S CHUCK THANK'S FOR SHARING THEM !!!. ;}
AWESOME KONG is offline Find More Posts by AWESOME KONG
Last edited by AWESOME KONG; Dec 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Slow thought process ;}
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:16 AM
BUILD IT LIGHT & WIND IT TIGHT
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Hey Chuck I have flown the YAK-54 in 17 m.p.h. wind with 28 m.p.h. gust's and will say it can take what ever you can dish out this Airplane is simply AWESOME !!!. ;}
AWESOME KONG is offline Find More Posts by AWESOME KONG