Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Jet20 View Post
Would this be good as a 1st 3d plane?
No !
Get a epp like techone or zoom , i enjoy more doing 3d in my techone's than my carbonz, you need lots of experience to do 3d with cz by the other way any epp profile 3d you can do whatever very easy,

In low rates the CZ is very docil and good flyer but I will never recommended to learn 3d because this is mor like a 3D brick lots of finger to maintain the aircraft in the air
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined May 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg View Post
I picked up the Yak last week and its my new favorite plane.. I was a little worried after reading the reviews but this thing is solid. I was being stupid on the 2nd flight and managed to crash it. This crash would have totaled a balsa plane. I glued the tail back on and got a few more flights in before the sun went down, just on low rates hahaha
http://youtu.be/IxQWpeX9-P4
I have had my yak54 for over a year now and it's been one of my favorites. And after many hours of practice (6-8 minutes at a time) on a low wind day I can hover it with no problem although like previously mentioned the profile foamies are definitely a lot easier to learn 3D on. It is definitely a great flying airplane and easily repaired. The only issue I've had with mine is that I fly on a grass runway and the wire landing gear has "mushroomed" the inside of the fuselage so the gear would angle back when I was trying to land. Not good so I got some Great Stuff Non expanding foam in the blue cans from Lowe's and the tube that comes with it fits right in the slot the wire gear goes in and you can pull forwards on the gear and fill it with the sprayfoam insulation. Let it dry and It works great
Sailmac1 is offline Find More Posts by Sailmac1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:07 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Buddy of mine bought one of these this weekend and after the third flight the motor threw 2magnets. Has this been an issue with this motor? Wonder if HH will just ship out another one or he'll have to pay to ship this motor to them?
gewiens is online now Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Buddy of mine bought one of these this weekend and after the third flight the motor threw 2magnets. Has this been an issue with this motor? Wonder if HH will just ship out another one or he'll have to pay to ship this motor to them?
HH have a great service just contact them im sure you can get a warranty replacement !
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Saturday wasn't a good day for me

Tonight I start project frank en yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmac1 View Post
I have had my yak54 for over a year now and it's been one of my favorites. And after many hours of practice (6-8 minutes at a time) on a low wind day I can hover it with no problem although like previously mentioned the profile foamies are definitely a lot easier to learn 3D .
yeah , I'm more into pattern flying but its a great plane.
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
I've had mine almost two years and my stock motor has had no problems.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, MI, Algonac
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
I need a little help with a couple things w my yak.
first of all, I completely destroyed the plane. I lost all radio, and the plane went wot straight into the ground from about 70 feet or so. it acted like it lost signal, because all ailerons, elevator, and rudder went neutral except the throttle was wide open. luckily it was pointed at the ground and not at the nearby express way or someones house. I fly w a dx8, ar8000 rx w telemetry, completely stock plane & nanotech 4s 3300 35-70c. I know that it didnt lose bind, because the the telemetry low voltage alarm didn't go off until it hit the ground and battery went bouncing across the field. it was a fresh battery, still over 15 volts. I was wondering if anybody had any idea what caused this to happen?
second question: I was hoping that someone could recommend some new electronics for the plane. I have enough new parts that I have been collecting to build at least 1 new complete plane, but need everything else. I need all servos, new esc, and possibly motor. Im not the happiest with the stock servos, as I have had to replace a couple in the 6 months since I got the plane. I would like to upgrade, but have no idea what to get? I would like something that fits w o modification to the airframe if possible. I need a new esc (broke board in half on impact) and possibly motor. I am completely happy with the power of the stock set up so I might go that route, but if there is something better for the same or less $ I am open to suggestions.
thanks for taking the time to read all this, mike.
mcaiger53 is offline Find More Posts by mcaiger53
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,213 Posts
Here's a few options, look into a 80 amp hobbywing esc, next are hitec servos, hs82 are analog and work great for around $20 each, or the hs5085 which are digital and around $45 each. You'll need to enlarge the servo space in the fuse and wings as the hitec servos are slightly bigger than stock. The motor I'd go with on 4s is the hyperion 3025-8, for 3s a 3020-8.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:30 AM
United States, CT, Watertown
Joined Oct 2012
56 Posts
Does anyone have specs on the yak stock motor? Destryoed the plane and trying to see what else I could throw this motor in. Need wieght and maz amperage can't find it on horizon sites. thanks
Fastest3 is online now Find More Posts by Fastest3
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:51 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,213 Posts
I think it's a 200g motor, probably good up to 1000 watts and 70 amps.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been thinking of the hobbywing esc since here are a few on here for sale. I think my motor is repairable. Is the hyperion motor a upgrade, or just a cheaper alternative?
Thanks again, mike.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,213 Posts
Hyperion motor is an upgrade, the 3025 is good for about 1500 watts, drop in fit and weighs the same as stock. The 3020 is about 2 ounces less than stock and good for 1000 watts, great 3s motor. The hyperion motors are more powerful and easier to work on, you don't need a press to change motor shafts either.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Great info, thanks. This forum is great.
The hyperion motor sounds perfect. My stocker seems ok, the shaft is a little tweaked, which I already purchased. If I need a press, idk if I will mess w it.
Thanks for the help
Mike
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
I looked at the hyperion 3020-08, which claims 1050 watts at 70amps. I can't find if its capable of 4s or only 3s?
Thanks again.
Mike
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:58 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,213 Posts
It's capable of 4s too, with the higher Kv I would put a 12x4 or 12x5 prop. On 3s you want a 13x5 prop. On the 3025 I use a 12x6 or 12x7 on 4s.