HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:05 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,303 Posts
Oh. !! Yes he said schimitar you are right. As far I know the Schimitar is also 4s.

I have like 6 pnp planes from horizon all with eflite pro esc 30a and 60a. Non of them are set to 70% cutoff
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
I had a PNP from Parkzone that was set for 70% low voltage cutoff from the factory. It does happen. If a plane runs on 4s, it doesn't mean the esc's lvc HAS to be set that way. 70% can be used (although not the best) regardless of the number of cells being used.

EDIT: I agree that 70% lvc is not a safe way to fly. I changed my Parkzone plane's esc as soon as I noticed it was set for 70% from the factory.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Last edited by Mugen4Lfe; Sep 04, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:09 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,303 Posts
70% is not a very safe way. It will read the voltage at the moment of conect battery no matter how many cells. And will cutoff just at 70% of the readed voltage.

Is not usual tha horizon send a 70% lvc setup on a pnp or bnf plane. But as you said it can happen, someone make a mistake on that one. But as far for now non of my actual plane 5X PZ and the CZ YAK have came with 70% lvc. My 5 parkzones beep 3 time 3s setup and my Yak beep 4 times 4s setup.

I can bet that the issue in question is that the esc is setup to 4s and he is using 3s. Lets hope is that and just a simple programing help him
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
the ESC on the YAK came programed for 4s cutoff by default in this case not on 70% cutoff. if you put a 3s fully charged and the ESC reads 12.6v will think is a 4s with low voltage and will hit LVC,

to make sure you are set on 4s cutoff plug the battery with the switch in off position and you will get the 4 beeps..thats are how all yaks came from factory since they are madse to run on 4s.
Thanks! I programmed the ESC, and it seems to be working fine with the 3s battery. I have the following setup: 13 x 4 APC prop - 3300 3s 40c - 60 amp eflite esc - stock motor. I got the following numbers with it: 39 amps and 476 watts.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:59 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I think the 14x7 is your best bet for 3s on stock setup, ground clearance becomes a problem though. Do you have a 13x6.5 you can try?
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I think the 14x7 is your best bet for 3s on stock setup, ground clearance becomes a problem though. Do you have a 13x6.5 you can try?
I did try the 14 x 7, and clearance was an issue. I also tried the 13 x 6.5, and I was very happy with it. In fact, I got the formula just right this morning, when I used that prop with a 3300 3s battery. For the first time, the plane took off and landed beautifully. I was so happy to finally have this this plane flying as good as any in my hangar. That is when it happened...the plane started flying erratically. A flyby revealed that the rudder servo pulled all the way to the right, and locked up. (I read about the bad servos on this plane, but I figured that it was just a few unlucky people.) I brought it in for an awkward landing, and it came down on its nose. The only damage appears to be a bent prop shaft....ugh!!! Now, I have to sink more money into this beast!!
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@ufale

Ouch! I never even flew once with the stock servos. I changed mine to HS-85MGs the day I got it.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:16 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Sorry bout your mishap, time for hitec servos! The stock servos will work fine then all of a sudden one will freak out and usually it ends in disaster. The 3s yak is much better in my opinion, mine feels like it goes just as fast as stock on a 13x5, hyperion 3020-8 motor and 3s. It also feels like it has good torque, slows down well and feels much lighter, easier to land too! I feel more relaxed on 3s, doesn't make me as nervous as the 4s yak does.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:06 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
Need a Canopy

I need a new Carbon Z Yak canopy, if anyone has one let me know your price.
Thanks,
Mike
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:26 PM
Oh you pull BACK on the stick?
Bloomington, IN
Joined Feb 2010
500 Posts
Hey guys,

So I just received my PNP Yak yesterday and got it all assembled. Unfortunately my prop balancer has not yet come in, we were hoping to maiden it tomorrow but I'm worried about the prop. Have the props been updated or improved at all? or should I definitely wait to balance it before I fly?
Varmet6 is offline Find More Posts by Varmet6
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@varmet6

I don't know if the props have been updated, but it's always a good idea to balance ANY prop before using it.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:39 PM
Bloomington, IN
Joined Feb 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
@varmet6

I don't know if the props have been updated, but it's always a good idea to balance ANY prop before using it.
I figured so, this is the first time I've ever had to mess with it before, so I didn't have a prop balancer on hand :/

The anticipation is going to kill me
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:53 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
The prop has not been updated, it needs balancing. The stock prop is a pain to balance,better off using an apc prop or something else.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:58 PM
Bloomington, IN
Joined Feb 2010
500 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Guess it's a no go for now!
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:09 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
The prop has not been updated, it needs balancing. The stock prop is a pain to balance,better off using an apc prop or something else.
i do have a very hard time balancing stock prop !!! but at the end that prop runs very smooth ! about an hour sanding and cheking.. also the hub had to be balanced .