HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:00 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I had a bought a new motor mount, I'm not even sure why cause I only use the www.smallpartscnc.com mounts for the yak but I noticed they changed the design from the original. I thought I had the v2 (the older mount) but appears it has changed, did this just happen recently? I never bothered to look at the stock mounts cause I prefer the aluminum. I've noticed the aileron horns now come with screws, or at least the replacement wings do. Maybe they will make a prop improvement some day, it really needs to be done. Until then they make a great paper weight or drink mixer, just keep them away from the dog cause they are sharp and will splinter if chewed on. Fortunately there was no damage to the dog but I lost a really great paper weight/ drink mixer.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Last edited by slo-fly; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
I just epoxied the control horn and rat-holed the screws.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:13 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,210 Posts
My yak came with screw on the horns and a motor mount that is like a 1/4 inch thik. I buy early this year i think was late jan or early feb. So i think thise are improvment on newst yak's
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:10 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
A tail heavy plane is just a band aid to fly 3d. And good plane and a good pilot will normally have a neutral cg for 3d. If you go tail heavy then some stall maneuvers might be a little easier, but the plane will fly crappy. It's better just to practice with it neutral and have good flight. I know it's tempting to move it back, but it's not good. This plane will still do 3d with the stock setup and neutral to slightly nose heavy cg.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@srt8madness

I'm not much of a 3D flyer myself, but I know that for my style of flying (more scale/pattern), a tail heavy plane just doesn't feel good to my fingers. I understand the reasoning that many want a tail heavy plane, but I agree with you in that a neutral CG makes more sense overall. I think certain airframes handle better or worse at different center points of gravity. But I guess in the end it's all up to the pilot.

By the way, those new control horns look like a much better design. I'll have to upgrade to some of those.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:00 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
Measured my balance point and it's right at 4 5/8" from the leading edge of wing next to the fuse with a 3s 2200 in it.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:43 AM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Does anyone know when the fuse's will be in stock, or how to find out?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:50 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
Does anyone know when the fuse's will be in stock, or how to find out?
Read the last and 4th to last posts on this page- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...83590&page=500
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:55 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I can't find any fuselages for sale online or at my local hobby shops. I feel very lucky I found one a few days ago. I have a feeling they won't be back in stock for a few months. I did find a hyperion 3020-8 motor in stock at my lhs, just need esc now, 3s yak should be ready in a week or so.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:22 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
slo-fly, sent you a PM
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:49 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
I anticipated this and ordered a complete spare airframe as soon as the parts were showing in stock. I hope I don't need it for a while.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:00 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I went ahead and backordered a fuse from my lhs, the employee said hh will have fuses in stock in 2 days, hopefully he's right!
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:48 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,210 Posts
My lhs tell me the same for every item is not instore. I know you guys on USA continental are more professional on that matter. Here in PR is like no other option. That is why all serius "BORICUAS" just order online and every lhs are in the black list of death
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:23 AM
ledpole
United States, NJ, West Deptford
Joined Jan 2012
53 Posts
What size battery you flying in Carbon Z Yak?

got a YAK 54 & know it calls for 2800mAh 4S 30C. I think the E-Flite batterys are way overpriced. Have friends flying a HobbyPartz SkyLipo 4S 3000mAh 30C but they have been out of stock for over 2 months. Found a Turnegy Nano 4S 2650mAh 35-70C & Turnegy Nano 4S 3000mAh 25-50C. Will be using mostly for sport flying. Have several flat wing foamies to learn 3D with.
What are you using now & are you happy with the performance? Thanks for your expertise.
Thats what really great about the people on this site. You save all of us time and expenses and usually give great advice from someone who has already done it. Being new to electrics have more questions than answers right now..
ledpole is offline Find More Posts by ledpole
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:53 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I just wanted to give everybody a heads up, fuses are back instock according to hh website. Order them while you can!