HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Yep, a pre flight inspection would have saved my last yak crash. I goofed up a landing recently on my addiction, it doesn't look like any damage but I'm gonna take the cowl off and inspect everything closely before taking her up again. I've learned my lesson the hard way, a bit costly too!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:31 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,540 Posts
Hey guys i need to order a new stab. When specs says right stab !! Is looking the plane from behind or from the front. Sorry to ask this but im not to good on english.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343100705.589271.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 102.8 KB
Description:

Looks like this one: EFL1008004
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Hey guys i need to order a new stab. When specs says right stab !! Is looking the plane from behind or from the front. Sorry to ask this but im not to good on english.

Attachment 5032131

Looking from BEHIND. Right and left are always as if you were sitting in the cockpit.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,540 Posts
Thanks a lot. Thats what i was thinking.

This is the 3rd plane my cat try to eat this year. I think I need to cook some cat soup my wife will not notice i will tell is chiken
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:

This is the 3rd plane my cat try to eat this year. I think I need to cook some cat soup my wife will not notice i will tell is chiken
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:02 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:

I couldn't help but laugh, sorry about the damage though. I have a cat that does the same thing, all my flip flops are chewed up, the antenna on my dx8 is chewed up but my planes are safe hanging from the ceiling now, the cat just stares at them now. That's nothing though, you oughta see what my German Shepard can do!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:05 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:

Attachment 5032131

lol, sorry, but this is too funny. I am so glad my cat didn't find out about that yet. My Yak is standing on the floor is she's sitting right next to it.... don't you dare kitty cat
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Out of curiosity, and because the CZ Yak is my first foamie and has yet to sustain any body damage, how would one go about repairing a missing chunk like that at home? Being a balsa guy, I'm thinking the foam edge might be sanded smooth and then a small balsa block shaped and CAd or epoxied in place. Then some Monokote, Ultracote, dope, or fiberglass and paint to blend it in as best as possible. Are there better materials to use in such a repair?

Quote:

Attachment 5032131

jwiebe is offline Find More Posts by jwiebe
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:14 AM
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined May 2012
53 Posts
There is a vinyl spackle you can get from local hardware stores that works well to patch foamies. It's very lightweight and easy to work with/sand etc. I got the tip from a friend of mine in my local flying club. I thought it was funny as I work at Lowe's and we have it right there. I usually pass it 40 or 50 times a day. Also I had a problem with my wire landing gear loosening up inside so I shot a little "Great Stuff" spray foam insulation in there and it has stiffened it up very nicely and has been working great. I put a lot of stress on my landing gear flying from a grass field. The tube that comes with the insulation just fits in the slot the landing gear goes in. Any excess that oozes out can be easily trimmed when it's dry.
Sailmac1 is offline Find More Posts by Sailmac1
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:25 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiebe View Post
Out of curiosity, and because the CZ Yak is my first foamie and has yet to sustain any body damage, how would one go about repairing a missing chunk like that at home? Being a balsa guy, I'm thinking the foam edge might be sanded smooth and then a small balsa block shaped and CAd or epoxied in place. Then some Monokote, Ultracote, dope, or fiberglass and paint to blend it in as best as possible. Are there better materials to use in such a repair?
Idk, $9 seems much easier lol!!

And instead of balsa, you would shape a foam block and glue it in, and paint it if you were really anal about the looks of a foamy
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
Idk, $9 seems much easier lol!!

And instead of balsa, you would shape a foam block and glue it in, and paint it if you were really anal about the looks of a foamy :d
++1
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Could someone take a look at my LG wire in the pics and let me know if it's bent and if so, how? I deadsticked it into a field a couple weeks ago and just replaced the motor shaft. When I had it out today taxiing around the tracking was so bad I didn't take it up. If the wheels bounced up off the hard runway a bit it seemed to grab and pull the plane around, sometimes in a very sharp turn. Felt like I had no control on the ground. Rudder, tailwheel and servos seem ok.

1. are the wheels supposed to be splayed out?
2. is the forward sweep correct?

Thanks!
jwiebe is offline Find More Posts by jwiebe
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Landing gear wheels generally have a little "toe in" (front of wheels are slightly angled toward each other) to make the plane track straighter while on the ground. It APPEARS from your pictures that your wheels have a little "toe out" ( front of wheels are slightly angled away from each other) which would make the plane track less straight while on the ground as well as make the steering more "unpredictable". You could try bending the wire SLIGHTLY to get a little bit of toe in. It doesn't need much of an angle to help quite a bit. Also, make sure that both wheels are spinning freely. A wheel that doesn't spin will cause a lot of problems also. Hope that helps...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:56 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Looking at the photos you should be fine by reversing the landing gear. As Mugen said you want the wheels to point inwards slightly.
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:01 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I run my gear with toe out, this way the gear will spread a tad on impact, kind of absorbs shock. If the wheels are toe in it can cause bouncing or gear will shake. I've noticed rc trucks usually have quite a bit toe out, mine does and it tracks perfect and smooth at any speed.
Last edited by slo-fly; Jul 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM.