HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
BUILD IT LIGHT & WIND IT TIGHT
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
Wow! A 13x8 on the stock setup is probably drawing way more watts than a 12x6 or 13x4. I'm really surprised it hasn't burnt up but it kinda sounds like bad bearings or a magnet has came loose. Check everything!
Ok will do thank's !!!
AWESOME KONG is offline Find More Posts by AWESOME KONG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:20 AM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Does that gear have much if any flex? Looks like it's pretty rigid. I would be afraid of ripping the fuse where they are attached. I only fly mine off nice soft grass field and have never had a problem with the stock gear. I think the flex is a great advantage.
The gear has some flex but I use nylon bolts to attach it to the gear mount on the fuselage and the nylon bolts will shear off before the stress damages the fuselage. This mod is simply personal preference. I like the consistency on the grass when taxiing before and after flight and I don't get any nose-overs following a rough landing.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Last edited by crobar; Jul 21, 2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:58 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWESOME KONG View Post
It has'nt failed yet ;} but I don't want it to ! I was thinking maybe a balance problem ? cause with out a prop the only thing to vibrate is the can I would think. and after I plowed her into a chain link fence on the 6th flight I had to put a new shaft in it and the same as stock it vibrate's ? I did pull the motor mount when it was new and all looked good. so maybe I will throw my extra 300 15 in it and a 11X8 prop off of my apprentice just to see if the vibe goes away. and thank's for your help ;}
Why going through the hassle of putting a different motor in if you are already taking the original one out to check and see what it is? logically it can only be the motor itself or the motor mount, so please check if the motor mount is broken. If not, I bet it's the bearings which were damaged when bending the shaft. Over time they got worse and now have to be replace.

How does it sound if you spin the prop by hand? Does it feel smooth and fine or does it sound loose? All very easy to check
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:37 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Help!!

Ok guys, I need help big time!

I wacked my cz yak. NBD, but the motor got wet.
When I pulled apart the motor to dry out, I messed up the c-clip that holds the shaft on. I also lost the small ring that goes below it.

Does anyone have an old busted up bl25 motor that I could get those peices off of? Heck I would even buy the busted motor.

Worst case, I'd buy a good motor that someone is selling, If I couldn't get the other

Or, does anyone know where I could buy a similar c-clip and spacer? the shaft is 5.5mm

I wasn't upset about crashing, that's a easy fix. But I'm really upset with myself for messing up that clip. One little piece that will keep me from flying

I would really REALLY appreciate any help at all.

Thanks,

Daniel
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
BUILD IT LIGHT & WIND IT TIGHT
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddlers View Post
Why going through the hassle of putting a different motor in if you are already taking the original one out to check and see what it is? logically it can only be the motor itself or the motor mount, so please check if the motor mount is broken. If not, I bet it's the bearings which were damaged when bending the shaft. Over time they got worse and now have to be replace.

How does it sound if you spin the prop by hand? Does it feel smooth and fine or does it sound loose? All very easy to check
That's the thing it all feel's good & smooth with out any slop and this is from the factory like befor the maiden. I did some checking on the yak befor I bought it to see if there where any problem's with it and every one was talking about the motot mount going out. But mine is fine so fare, but I'm only around 15 flight's at this point.
AWESOME KONG is offline Find More Posts by AWESOME KONG
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
Ok guys, I need help big time!

I wacked my cz yak. NBD, but the motor got wet.
When I pulled apart the motor to dry out, I messed up the c-clip that holds the shaft on. I also lost the small ring that goes below it.

Does anyone have an old busted up bl25 motor that I could get those peices off of? Heck I would even buy the busted motor.

Worst case, I'd buy a good motor that someone is selling, If I couldn't get the other

Or, does anyone know where I could buy a similar c-clip and spacer? the shaft is 5.5mm

I wasn't upset about crashing, that's a easy fix. But I'm really upset with myself for messing up that clip. One little piece that will keep me from flying

I would really REALLY appreciate any help at all.

Thanks,

Daniel
I have a spare motor with only 6 flights on it, like new condition. I can send it to you for $50 and I'll pay for shipping. I'd suggest a hyperion 3025/8 motor if you can shell out $75 for a brand new one. Those motors are rated at 1250 watts, 1750 peak. It's the same weight as stock motor, it's a drop in fit and the shaft is much easier to change. Let me know if you want my stock motor, I can send it asap. The hyperion 3025/8 is 970kv, the hyperion 3026/1000 is 1000kv, I haven't tried the 3026/1000 yet but it looks like it will work, not sure though.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Last edited by slo-fly; Jul 21, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:46 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Oooh ill have to check on that Hyperion!! I also realized that because of how the prop pulls, the c clip isn't even needed!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:04 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
The hyperion motors are off the hook, I believe they are made by scorpion. I run 1100 watts with a vox 12X6, around 1200 watts with a vox 12X7 or 13X5 prop. The 970kv has some torque to it, feels great with the yak.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
Oooh ill have to check on that Hyperion!! I also realized that because of how the prop pulls, the c clip isn't even needed!
I used a motor this same size without any clip on for quite some time. Never caused a problem. The washer isn't really necessary either when mounted like this.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
The vox props are off the hook too, almost half the weight of apc props. I also added the carbon fiber spinner from a pa bandit which is crazy light, and a pa prop adapter too, the lightest adapters I've ever seen. I love this combo, it's so silky smooth even at full throttle, not even the slightest of vibrations!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Sounds sweet!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:51 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWESOME KONG View Post
That's the thing it all feel's good & smooth with out any slop and this is from the factory like befor the maiden. I did some checking on the yak befor I bought it to see if there where any problem's with it and every one was talking about the motot mount going out. But mine is fine so fare, but I'm only around 15 flight's at this point.
Check the connection to the ESC and the ESC itself. A loose connection can also make the motor spin weirdly.
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Remaidened and splattered mine this morning. After working til about 2 in the morning to get it assembled from parts, again, everything went pretty well for a little while. I flew a few batteries through two other planes first. All still well. First flight with the Yak went fine. Second flight fine also except I grass landed it this time because of wind direction. Grass was a little long and the elevator was grabbing too much grass to taxi back so I retrieved it on foot. No big deal. Immediately put my last battery in, 2200 4s Gens Ace, and the elevator is acting funny. Before I could get it pointed in the direction I wanted it in to make a quick landing, it rolls hard and dives into the pavement, completely nose first, completely out of control. I stand dumbfounded(not that I haven't done this before) staring at the pieces parts scattered everywhere listening to the motor still running even though it, the esc and battery are completely separated from the rest of the wreckage. My very first thought was loss of radio control. My Turnigy9x radio and $9 Hobbypartz receiver have been fine in other planes. Never any issues at all. While inspecting the wreckage I notice that the elevator halves are separated from each other. I mean the plastic stabs that slip inside each other to hold the two halves together. I'm really puzzled how they could be separated from each other even though the tail of the plane, wings and all, are pretty much undamaged. Hardly a scratch actually. It hit that nosefirst. At first I assumed the impact made them separate. The innermost hinges on the elevator are pulled loose from the foam. I tried to reconnect the two halves but couldn't get them close without fear of tearing something else up. Now I'm thinking the grass landing stretched the two elevator halves enough to disconnect them and the free half was on top of the controlled half which explains why the plane was pitching up constantly on its own. The death spiral was probably caused by the independent elevator halves. I guess. Perhaps next time I'll do a preflight check between each battery. You'd almost think I wouldn've noticed the two elevator halves being so far off but I simply changed batteries and put it right back into the air. I've already looked at frankensteining my two ruined fuses together to make a good one. We'll see.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Last edited by krexken; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Sorry to hear about that krexken. For some reason you and I have had bad luck with the yak. Wait a year for parts and it gets destroyed on the first flight. My last 4 flights have resulted in 3 hard crashes, I finally got the yak together again but afraid I'll destroy it again.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@krexken

Bummer. Sorry. We all probably should be doing preflight checks before EVERY flight. But I doubt any of us do. I'm always in a mad rush to get up in the air. I've forgotten to put the canopy on my Extra 300 before! Hopefully you can peice it back together.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe