Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:37 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinsti View Post
Slo-Fly -- !

Thinking that maybe the wires shorted out on the ESC? My new YAK-54 carbon went down yesterday in a muddy field due to operator error; I ran the battery completely dry and ended up taking her down in a nearby field. It did a huge jump upon hitting the ground, I just barely got her to level out before hitting. The fuse ended up breaking in half right behind the cockpit as it bounced off the ground. I think the shear force just tore it in half; better the weak tear in the fuse than 2 wings or even worse - control surface damage. It's a clean break, so I think epoxy will fix it right up.

However, I don't want to end up loosing my electronics on my landing approach especially elevator... Any burnt electronics smell after the crash? I wonder if our setup is bulletproof? Eflite usually does a good job and I have two of their speed controls which have been working ok. Ill take things off your hands for backups, but my vote is to fix it and bring her back out to the field, so we can fly them together next time!
No burnt smell, no smoke, nothing was hot, I was barely even pushing it, just another Sunday stroll in the park and all of sudden I was watching the yak plow terra firma with no control of the elevator. I think it was the elevator servo, it's very firm and takes alot of force to get it to move. I am shipping it to HH for inspection, hopefully they find the servo faulty or I'm probably screwed. The only thing I have left of the yak that is intact is the rudder, Rx, a wing, landing gear, charger and half a elevator, I don't have much left so I figure it's worth sending it in. Hopefully I can get it fixed soon, I'm still in disbelief as to what happened! Somebody please wake me up!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:45 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
All four servos are the same, but the most common failure reported from what I've read is the elevator...Very strange. Get's worked the most maybe?

Here
are some of the posts I've read about servo failures.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:51 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Flew the yak this morning, everything was going great, last flight of the day I come around for the landing approach and lose the elevator or had a brownout, the plane was heading straight for the ground and it wasn't pulling up. Here's the aftermath of my yard sale lol!
same thing happened to mine a few months ago. Found that the RX mounted as it is jars the leads loose when taxiing over rough ground. I was flying with no issues, found a couple leads backing out, shoved them in, and they felt tight, then like an idiot flew "one last pack", figured I had about 50 flights before, so one more before I could rig something to lock in the leads. Well sure enough, after a nice 5 minutes of flight, pulled a stall turn, and lost elevator. Tried to roll to the side and pull it into a knife edge to at least slow the dive, but too little too late, and it hit hard. Had full control of everything but elevator, checked it on the ground in peices, and the elevator was unplugged from the RX, plugged it back in, and it worked fine. Got a PNP to replace it with, and first thing I did was to tape the leads together, Y-s and connectors together, and wrap some thread around the leads and RX, and remounted it on the side of the bay, so far so good. I ended up using the ESC, tail servos and RX in other planes, and no problems with them either.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Mar 06, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:19 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
StormJunkie --

Thanks for the stab info, I ordered a couple carbon rods from HH and they are on their way...

I was wondering if we were to replace our servos what would you guys go with, if we want to keep the same diameter for an easy fitment into our stock servo slots...?
flyinsti is offline Find More Posts by flyinsti
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:43 AM
3D and slope Pilot in training
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Sheesss guys i've never seen so many broken planes in one thread.... i think i will give this one a skip.
Gotlieb is offline Find More Posts by Gotlieb
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:24 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
fly- HS5065 or 55's have the right fit, but you go from 13g per servo to 21 or something Not sure what else may be available.

Gotlieb, If you are not interested in making the mods, or worried about the motor issue; then just wait 6 months or so. Eflite will correct some of this in the next production run I imagine.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:13 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlieb View Post
I watched all three your videos now and i think your flying sites are way to tight.... you need space man. Need to level that bird off properly and then bring it in with throttle.
Yeah I hear ya. I talked to someone from one of the local flying clubs at the r/c racetrack saturday. I believe I will be joining that club. I already have the Ama membership and have just been trying to decide which local club to join. Here in the baltimore area there are many to choose from.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Yeah I hear ya. I talked to someone from one of the local flying clubs at the r/c racetrack saturday. I believe I will be joining that club. I already have the Ama membership and have just been trying to decide which local club to join. Here in the baltimore area there are many to choose from.
Awesome.... good luck... keep making videos
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:33 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Thanks!! I want to get some more micro beast videos as well. I am soo much more comfortable with that plane at the moment. I'm really glad I didn't let the LHS talk me out of it. I'm sure I will love the Yak 54 just as much as I get used to it. I'm still a little nervous taking off and landing. That could be due to not having a runway.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Thanks!! I want to get some more micro beast videos as well. I am soo much more comfortable with that plane at the moment. I'm really glad I didn't let the LHS talk me out of it. I'm sure I will love the Yak 54 just as much as I get used to it. I'm still a little nervous taking off and landing. That could be due to not having a runway.
I am sure it is..... I would love to get myself a micro beast too.... how does it fly?
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:13 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
The umx beast was my first plane. I had some heli experience and lots of sim time but she flys great. I just got into the planes this christmas so my review doesn't have much credibility. I was told not to buy this as a first plane by the lhs. The plane takes off and flys great on low rates. I flew it on low rates only for the first few flights. Now I pretty much leave it on high rates all the time. Sometimes I will click the aileron to low rates and leave the elevator and rudder on high. This works well for me to practice inverted flight. I also like to land this way. Just my
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:06 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinsti View Post
StormJunkie --

Thanks for the stab info, I ordered a couple carbon rods from HH and they are on their way...

I was wondering if we were to replace our servos what would you guys go with, if we want to keep the same diameter for an easy fitment into our stock servo slots...?
I am changing the elevator servo at least. I can fly without a aileron or rudder but if you lose the elevator you're screwed! I will also get a remote Rx http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM9646 and a flight logger.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Last edited by slo-fly; Mar 07, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:59 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I am changing the elevator servo at least. I can fly without a aileron or rudder but if you lose the elevator you're screwed! I will also get a remote Rx http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM9646 and a flight logger.
I cannot find anywhere that says you can use a remote reveiver with the AR600. It does talk about the flight log. Make sure you can use the remote receiver before you order.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:17 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I just took a look at my ar600 in the Yak and it doesn't have a port for the remote rx. Just a bind/data port. I assume that is where the logger plugs into. I do have a ar6200 sitting here that utilizes the remote rx.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:30 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Mines had a AR7000 in it from the get go, so I already have that added security.

Interesting post about the connector falling out of the rx. Never heard of that before, those things seem pretty tight, but I also find it odd that most servo failures have been reported on elevator.