HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Couldn't agree more oatmeal. Id like to see him try a Trojan first also but just trying to give some advice if he sticks with the yak for the first plane. My Trojan also will always be in my fleet. Matter of fact I'd even like to buy a stock one to get the float back. Mine weighs 3 lbs now with a power 25, retracts, flaps, 80 amp esc on 4s. Hoot to fly just miss the stock float at times. Good luck with the slick, still waiting to maiden my 57" 3dhs extra 330 sc.
IEATSRT is online now Find More Posts by IEATSRT
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:15 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
Couldn't agree more oatmeal. Id like to see him try a Trojan first also but just trying to give some advice if he sticks with the yak for the first plane. My Trojan also will always be in my fleet. Matter of fact I'd even like to buy a stock one to get the float back. Mine weighs 3 lbs now with a power 25, retracts, flaps, 80 amp esc on 4s. Hoot to fly just miss the stock float at times. Good luck with the slick, still waiting to maiden my 57" 3dhs extra 330 sc.
Honestly, if it were me, I'd put the Yak on a shelf for a while and go get a T-28. The CZ will always be there waiting. And besides, everyone needs a Trojan in their hanger! It could never be considered a waste of money! And while you're at it, get the white Navy version, much easier to see!
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
Honestly, if it were me, I'd put the Yak on a shelf for a while and go get a T-28. The CZ will always be there waiting. And besides, everyone needs a Trojan in their hanger! It could never be considered a waste of money! And while you're at it, get the white Navy version, much easier to see!
I agree about the T-28. Although I've never owned one, I've had a Corsair as my second plane (which I have heard is very much like the T-28, although it looks nicer in the sense that the fuse is bigger so you can fit a 6s battery lol). And even though I now have 8 planes and have sold around a few, the corsair still remains as one of my favorite planes and will always remain in my fleet for when I feel like having a peaceful and enjoyable flight.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
agree. the t-28 is the best plane for everithing. i flew mine in bad weather 15 - 20 mph winds with no problem. as other said is the one to relax in beteween my 3d's and my nitros. its the side salad for every trip to the field. too bad i just buy it after 5 years flying.

El Dax con su Trojano en el Ares 51-B (3 min 5 sec)
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Last edited by DaxFX; Feb 22, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...9-PA160110.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...4-PA160107.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...4-PA160123.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...9-PA160127.jpg

Hope the pic works. I have both corsair and Trojan . Corsair for the win for me. Running power 32, 4s batt, cc 80 amp esc, cc ubec, DSR electric retracts, flaps, mas 13x8.5. 900 watts blows yak out of water in speed. Might even take habu!!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Ok guys... just saw this thread and the Yak... WOW.

I want this plane lol.

I am new. My first plane was a micro P51... 40+ flights, bored with it, 1 semi-crash (small cartwheel) early on in the wind, some glue all good. Then I bought a Beast 3D.. 30+ flights love it, never crashed. I have a DX6i. Thoughts on me getting this plane??

I had considered a T28 as a first larger plane, but as the beast is beginning to make me want more I was/am doubtful that the T28 would do much for me.

Thanks

Ray
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:15 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post

I want this plane lol.

I am new. My first plane was a micro P51... 40+ flights, bored with it, 1 semi-crash (small cartwheel) early on in the wind, some glue all good. Then I bought a Beast 3D.. 30+ flights love it, never crashed. I have a DX6i. Thoughts on me getting this plane??

I had considered a T28 as a first larger plane, but as the beast is beginning to make me want more I was/am doubtful that the T28 would do much for me.

Thanks

Ray
Ray,
Congratulations on a fast progression through the hobby. 70+ flights and only one crash. You must be a natural
You may well be able to step up to the Yak 54 and pass other "easier" models. If you take it carefully you MAY just be ok. EG : I have the PZ Extra 300 and find the Yak easier to fly.
The main difference with the Yak for you is the greater momentum this plane will carry as opposed to the micros that tend to "float" in.
The good thing though about the Yak's modular nature is that parts are easy to replace if you do crash. It is a great plane and if you can successfully fly it, you'll be happy.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:37 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post

I want this plane lol.

Thanks

Ray
Don't sell the T-28 short. IMHO, it is probably the best flying plane offered by Parkzone and I've had most of them. It is a very capable plane that will perform all basic aerobatic maneuvers including knife edge, etc. It's not 3D capable by a long shot but by the time you can truly fly the pants off it, you're a pretty good pilot. And as has been mentioned, no matter what plane you move onto you will never part with your Trojan.

Now, having said that, apologies to all of you for almost hijacking the CZ thread. It is obvious there is quite a bit of passion for the T-28 out there and I was tempted to post a link to some of my T-28 videos too. But I resisted. And shame on the rest of you too! Lol. Let's get back to discussion about the good old CZ and if we feel compelled to jump in and save someone from themselves who plan on getting the CZ Yak as a first plane, we can refer them back to these posts, lol.

Slam those sticks boys!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
You know this, but you still bought it as a first airplane. I wouldn't be to concerned about stuff like the cnc motor mount. I doubt it will live long enough for the stock mount to be a problem. I'll give odds that no experienced pilot recommended this to you as a good first airplane. Since you didn't want to start with a trainer my guess is you won't get an instructor with a buddy box either. You may be one of those 1 in a million people who is a natural pilot. I hope so or this bird will be lucky to last 15 seconds. Then we will have to read about how this cheap foam plane disintegrated on impact and it is all the planes fault.
Best of luck,really

John
you must be one of those cup half empty kinda guys.... i dont think i would blame the plane if i crashed, unless a servo fails
Dr.JJ is offline Find More Posts by Dr.JJ
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.JJ View Post
you must be one of those cup half empty kinda guys.... i dont think i would blame the plane if i crashed, unless a servo fails
Nope. My cup overfloweth. I have been an active RC hobbyist for over 45 years. I have over 15 years of professional involvement both at the retail level and at the design and manufacturing level. I have seen this same story uncounted times. New guy wants to fly RC. New guy knows how airplane works. New guy doesn't like the looks of basic trainer, wants to start with P51/jet/Yak54. New guy ignores all advice from experienced salesperson or flyers and buys P51/jet/Yak54. If new guy is lucky his first flight will last 15 seconds and the repairs will be minimum. After the third or fourth crash either new guy will get trainer or give up hobby. You didn't take drivers ed in a F1 car, you won't take private pilots lessons in a P51. I,we all want to see you learn to fly successfully It is a great hobby and the CZ Yak is a great flying aircraft for those ready for a fully aerobatic airplane. At one time or another everyone here was a new guy and we are all trying to help you avoid the mistakes we made.
Best of luck however you decide to go.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
Its all good, I just felt stereotyped, which you are spot on w most of your insights. Im just not the type to try and blame the plane knowing that Im a beginner and the odds arent in my favor. If fact, it seems I might not have a snowballs chance in hell! But if all fails, do you think all the electronics would go into one of those 3dhs 48" epp yaks???
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:12 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
443 Posts
Deleted
Last edited by Oatmeal Savage; Feb 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:09 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Its all good, I just felt stereotyped, which you are spot on w most of your insights. Im just not the type to try and blame the plane knowing that Im a beginner and the odds arent in my favor. If fact, it seems I might not have a snowballs chance in hell! But if all fails, do you think all the electronics would go into one of those 3dhs 48" epp yaks???
I have the 3DHS EPP Edge, you could use the same bits although I fly mine with a 4s 2200 so the 2650 might be a bit heavy but there's room to slide it back. The other issue is the way the motor mounts in front of the firewall. I do really like that plane, much lighter & floatier than the CZ.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
It is quite possible to make this plane as tame as a pz trojan if you know what your doing. Drastically limiting the control throws (I'll guess to 15-20%) and adding about 30% expo on all channels (except throttle) would really tame her down. It will be faster but this too could be limited by decreasing the travel adjust on the throttle channel. I am not saying it is a good choice for a first plane, but I am saying that it isn't necessarily doomed if one does go that route providing they do lots of homework and fly a simulator lots before the maiden. There are some differences when it comes to landing, can't just chop the throttle and float her down like you can with a trojan it requires more throttle management on landing than the trojan. Dr.JJ's biggest hurdles will be orientation, over correction and landing all of which the simulator will help with..
So you mean to limit the travel to 20% on the control surafces from what they state in the manuel, right, then use about 30% expo on all channels, except throttle? Maybe go 60% on throttle? Are there any other settings I could do to make it more tame? Do you want more travel on some surfaces compared to others typically? Like alittle less on ailerons, alittle more on rudder, and elevator somewhere in middle???
Last edited by Dr.JJ; Feb 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
So you mean to limit the travel to 20% on the control surafces from what they state in the manuel, right, then use about 30% expo on all channels, except throttle? Maybe go 60% on throttle? Are there any other settings I could do to make it more tame? Do you want more travel on some surfaces compared to others typically? Like alittle less on ailerons, alittle more on rudder, and elevator somewhere in middle???
Those numbers are just guesses. The Yaks low rates as suggested by manual are:
Low rate Expo
Elev. 22% (or 15mm up and down) 25%
Ail. 30% (or 30mm left and right both ailerons) 30%
Rud. 60% (or 45mm left and right) 25%

Your going to want to be lower than that. Without flying the plane and adjusting it is hard for me to guess what they should be, you don't want too little control throw either. I would take those numbers (low rate manual suggestions) and subtract 5 or 10% to the rates, (perhaps just 5% on elevator and 10% on ailerons). Honestly the rudder could just get you into trouble and you could back that right off. I don't forsee any reason why you couldn't make it a behave like a 3 channel plane such as the old parkzone spitfire that didn't have a rudder simply by backing the rudder off to 0 (I THINK the servo should hold at 0 - I wouldn't unplug it or it could move in flight and then you'd be in big trouble not having control to get it to center again). That way you'd only be worrying about roll and pitch axis, and not yaw. All that said the rudder is helpful in taking off and landing and many suggest to prevent tip stalling use your rudder to make corrections on approach during landing direction in order to get lined up with the runway as opposed to aileron control. So yet another possibility would be to have rudder control high rate to somehting like 30% and low rate to 0%, that way you could turn your rudder control on by flipping the rudder to high rates for landing and taking off. Many different possibilities!! I don't mean to tell you what to do, I'm only making suggestions of what you could do and trying to make it easier for you. Additionally you could add 5% to the expo numbers. This is where the part about this being your first plane makes it hard for you... experience goes a really long way in this hobby that is for sure. As for the throttle you don't necessarily need to limit it. Power can get you into trouble and it can also get you out of trouble. I'm pretty sure your not going to go up and fly around max throttle so you could just manage that manually. I really wish you best of luck. I flew my simulator for about a month before I flew my first plane the pz corsair. I reduced the rates on it to 60%. The flight went perfect (grinned the entire flight I think), just nosed over on landing. Immediately after I was upping my rates 5% each flight. I really hope it goes well for you, if I can find time I'll mess around with my yak and try and find some actual flight tested rates that are really tame, no promises though I haven't flown anything since fall as there is snow everywhere and I usually just hang the planes up for the winter. I hope it goes well for you. If it doesn't, don't get discouraged... just go buy a Parksone T28 or Corsair- even check the classifieds and pick up a cheap used one! (YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!) Cheers.

Brandon