SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
I just recieved my Yak! I gotta say it seems very fragile, like balsa may be stronger??? Now Im scared to take it up! Still waiting on tx/rx though.
Dr.JJ is offline Find More Posts by Dr.JJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:03 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.JJ View Post
I just recieved my Yak! I gotta say it seems very fragile, like balsa may be stronger??? Now Im scared to take it up! Still waiting on tx/rx though.
It is no stronger than balsa but you can buy replacement parts.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
For those with Phoenix Sim

I only had about 8 flights with my CZ Yak, winter hit and haven't had a chance to fly her again. From what I remember worked on a variant last couple days. For those of you with more flights on her and are running phoenix let me know what you think. Feel free to make adjustments and re-post your variant if I'm way off the mark. Plane loads as the mini yak with my adjustments. Also here's the cz yak scheme that looks great.

Cheers
thanks.
can you please tell me how to load this into the sim. look like a nice work.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:19 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
She is well known for durability and can take some hits. Balsa crashes end up in splinters. Foam end up in two pieces u glue back together with gorilla glue or epoxy. Parts easy to change if wrecked beyond repair. Id be far more nervous flying balsa than the cz yak.
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Last edited by IEATSRT; Feb 21, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
thanks.
can you please tell me how to load this into the sim. look like a nice work.
It's a bit twitcher and faster than the real one and stalls quicker still messing with parameters but getting there. For the variant right click on it and then save. When it prompts where click my documents then Phoenix folder, then variants, then fixed wing and then hit save. After its saved right click and unzip it ... Voila. Then in Phoenix change model, airplanes, electric look for mini yak, click the arrow drop down will apear and u can select the variant. For the scheme save in my docs, Phoenix, schemes folder. Again u have to unzip it. Once variant is loaded click model edit and in the scheme drop down menu choose the carbon z scheme, it's spot on!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
Surely for the price, they could have made it with more durable foam, this stuff is like cheap ice chest foam! Oh well, I realize you want it light, and its really intended for experienced pilots who are less likely to crash, but Im just sayin....
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:46 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
I think it's pretty darn durable, especially compared to a balsa plane. I crashed mine several times hard enough to destroy a balsa plane. Ice chest foam is stiff but much more fragile compared to this plane.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
I think it's pretty darn durable, especially compared to a balsa plane. I crashed mine several times hard enough to destroy a balsa plane. Ice chest foam is stiff but much more fragile compared to this plane.
+1 on this. I would have gone through several balsa planes and/or major repairs if I treated my balsa planes the way I do the CZ Yak. My only glue job came after breaking off the tip of the elevator counter balance while doing a sloppy harrier landing. A little CA and I was flying in a few minutes.

Awesome plane and durable as heck. Not sure how much more durable it could be. There aren't many planes, foam or otherwise, that are meant to be crashed. I think some of the problem is that people are jumping into this plane a little too soon given their abilities. Fly the snot out of a Parkzone Trojan T-28 and when you can make it dance, slide on over to the Yak on low rates for awhile and you won't be looking for replacement parts as much.
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:03 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
+1 on this. I would have gone through several balsa planes and/or major repairs if I treated my blasa planes the way I do the CZ Yak. My only glue job came after breaking off the tip of the elevator counter balance while doing a sloppy harrier landing. A little CA and I was flying in a few minutes.

Awesome plane and durable as heck. Not sure how much more durable it could be. There aren't many planes, foam or otherwise, that are meant to be crashed. I think some of the problem is that people are jumping into this plane a little too soon given their abilities. Fly the snot out of a Parkzone Trojan T-28 and when you can make it dance, slide on over to the Yak on low rates for awhile and you won't be looking for replacement parts as much.
+1 on the t-28
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,060 Posts
Quote:
It's no where near as fragile as a balsa plane. They go home in a bag and into the trash after a crash. Normally the yak can be glued back together. That said, each of us make our own choices, but I would not begin to attempt to fly the Carbon Z without lots of previous 4 channel plane experience. It is not for the timid. It is 70 mph out of the box and at speed will do lots of damage if piled in. I don't remember how much experience you said you had, but thought I remembered you saying it was not much. I've only been in this for about a year and a half and had a Carbon Z for several months before just recently getting up enough nerve to fly it. I regularly fly about a dozen different 4 channel planes without crashing now, but the Yak was a cheek clincher for sure. If you are new and a natural at these things, good luck, but if you're not a natural, take a bag with you the first time.
Edit - a third on the t28. It's the one that will stay with you forever that you can learn on too. All the old hands in the two clubs I fly with have a t28 to fly when they want plain old fun no matter how many super fancy planes they have. It's the first one out each trip and maybe the last flight of the day also. If you get tired of it, you aren't trying hard enough and then if you do, put a bigger motor in it, move the cg back a bit and start all over.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
its really intended for experienced pilots who are less likely to crash
You know this, but you still bought it as a first airplane. I wouldn't be to concerned about stuff like the cnc motor mount. I doubt it will live long enough for the stock mount to be a problem. I'll give odds that no experienced pilot recommended this to you as a good first airplane. Since you didn't want to start with a trainer my guess is you won't get an instructor with a buddy box either. You may be one of those 1 in a million people who is a natural pilot. I hope so or this bird will be lucky to last 15 seconds. Then we will have to read about how this cheap foam plane disintegrated on impact and it is all the planes fault.
Best of luck,really

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,707 Posts
Quote:
It's a bit twitcher and faster than the real one and stalls quicker still messing with parameters but getting there. For the variant right click on it and then save. When it prompts where click my documents then Phoenix folder, then variants, then fixed wing and then hit save. After its saved right click and unzip it ... Voila. Then in Phoenix change model, airplanes, electric look for mini yak, click the arrow drop down will apear and u can select the variant. For the scheme save in my docs, Phoenix, schemes folder. Again u have to unzip it. Once variant is loaded click model edit and in the scheme drop down menu choose the carbon z scheme, it's spot on!
ok !! done thanks.. I hope my CZ does not fly like that variant. . i never flew one but i think this variant still need lots of tweek. keep going you are doing a great job.

+1 for my t-28

DR. you have big balls going on this as a first plane. make sure you use very low rates and i mean very low. and becarefull to much expo can also get you into trouble if you got nervous and pull full stick. Try very low rates and no more than 25-30% expo. try to have some1 with experience close to you and everybudy else very far from you
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:27 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
ok !! done thanks.. I hope my CZ does not fly like that variant. . i never flew one but i think this variant still need lots of tweek. keep going you are doing a great job.

+1 for my t-28

DR. you have big balls going on this as a first plane. make sure you use very low rates and i mean very low. and becarefull to much expo can also get you into trouble if you got nervous and pull full stick. Try very low rates and no more than 25-30% expo. try to have some1 with experience close to you and everybudy else very far from you
Yes I found this variant and scheme in another thread. I made some small adjustments to it such as increased pitch and yaw dampening to stabilize it a bit but still more to do. I find it a difficult task in phoenix to get a plane to fly like the real ones. So many parameters to change and mess around with. This variant seems to fast and roll rate is a bit quick. I need to go fly the real plane again and get a good feel for it again as its been a while and continue on with trying different adjustments. Was hoping someone would have a really accurate variant somewhere but have been unable to find it so far.

As far as expo getting you into to trouble I'm not sure this is the case. It decreases sensitivity around center to the first half of the movement of the stick. This has a trade off however as once you go over half way out it has to make up for the dampened lack of movement on the first half of the stick so it will move more aggressively once you pass the half way point. Over correction and stick slamming will for sure get a beginner into trouble. I use 25% expo on my warbirds and larger numbers with 3d ships, usually start with manual recommendations and tweak from there. As a general trend one usually sees as the rates go up, so too does the expo.

It is quite possible to make this plane as tame as a pz trojan if you know what your doing. Drastically limiting the control throws (I'll guess to 15-20%) and adding about 30% expo on all channels (except throttle) would really tame her down. It will be faster but this too could be limited by decreasing the travel adjust on the throttle channel. I am not saying it is a good choice for a first plane, but I am saying that it isn't necessarily doomed if one does go that route providing they do lots of homework and fly a simulator lots before the maiden. There are some differences when it comes to landing, can't just chop the throttle and float her down like you can with a trojan it requires more throttle management on landing than the trojan. Dr.JJ's biggest hurdles will be orientation, over correction and landing all of which the simulator will help with. JJ pz means parkzone, very good flying foam planes that are usually a second plane for most, first 4 channel for some and first plane for a few. The Trojan as stated is a really good plane, floats and lands well... flies nice in general.
Last edited by IEATSRT; Feb 22, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:

It is quite possible to make this plane as tame as a pz trojan if you know what your doing.

I'm impressed. I thought I was doing pretty good to jump from the sim to the T-28 as my first plane. I dumbed down the throws on the T-28 for a while and learned to fly. As a first plane, it served to ingrain all the orientation issues that come with flying and allowed me to get comfortable with all the control surfaces. When I was flying without orientation mistakes, able to do all the basic aerobatic moves including inverted figure eights all day long and greasing all my landings, I felt like I had completed the first step in my apprenticeship.

I then went on to buy and fly a number of other Parkzone planes. Then came a number of balsa planes. When I finally got the CZ Yak, I bought it to be my all-weather basher and my crash test dummy plane. It was still a handful on low rates until I got used to it. Now, the throws are maxed out and it gets thrashed hard about 12 flights per week. I love this plane as a 3D trainer and it is a confidence booster when I take a move that I learned on the CZ and try it on my balsa planes. For whatever reason, the CZ is one of my favorite planes to fly (my T-28 will never be sold either I'm currently building a 71" AJ Slick from 3DHS but I'll wager that the CZ will get a lot more flights on her than the Slick.

My other posts already speak to my opinion of the durability and performance of this great little foamy, as do my videos on YouTube. My point in responding is that for a new pilot who has never flown before, I think it is an ambitious choice. It is not as forgiving as the T-28 if you were ever to make a mistake (I made mistakes, not sure about the rest of you) and is not as easy to save while in the air.

Can it be done? Sure, absolutely. Are you doing yourself any favors, don't think so.

But, that's just me talking. All I know is that the CZ would not be on the list of planes that I would recommend to a friend as a good choice for their first plane. Maybe some of you are born with more skill than the rest of us. If so, Iím really jealous.

Have a great time learning to fly, itís an awesome hobby and the CZ is a great little plane.
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
Its all good food for thought, and I appreciate the feedback.