SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,272 Posts
Jj what transmitter? Hopefully computer so u can reduce your rates and add expo. If not reduce mechanically by going in on servo arm and out on control horn. Sim will help tons. Pick a day with little wind and a large area with few obstacles. Take her high but Not so far as orientation is in question. Nerves will be a problem. Stay upright! First account I've heard of thicker mount failing u should be fine. Most hard core 3d"ers still run them. Not trying to dissuade u but a pz warbird like corsair or Trojan are good to learn on though some will argue even those are second plane material. If u bought one You"d enjoy it for a long time. Sims are great but still "different" from the real thing
IEATSRT is online now Find More Posts by IEATSRT
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
The transmitter is a Devo 7 from Walkera. It came w my heli, but I bought a 7 channel reciever for it as it has settings for airplanes too. Its fully programmable. I would say its comparable to the dx6i. Has DR/expo/3 flight modes/travel adj/trim/mixing/ 5 point throttle and pitch curves, and prolly a few other things. Ive been trying to read up on everything so I can get w the lingo. I did consider the eflite war bird thats about the same size, but thought it would get boring to quick, but what do i know, im just startin. I really do like scale planes and helis though. Whats pz mean? I am intimidated by balsa planes, seems they are very fragile. Im hoping the cz yak is tough.
Dr.JJ is offline Find More Posts by Dr.JJ
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
I just checked out your line-up, thats some serious money you have in them. This hobby can be addictive! I really like the one from 3dhs, Ive been eyeballin the big foamie they have. Figured if things go bad, i could use my electronics in one of them. Which is more of a money pit, helis or planes?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,272 Posts
Yup lots to play with, lots invested. I keep a ton of spare parts on hand also, so times like those when I'm tinkering I can usually make something work. Attached some pictures of the extreme flight spinner and Zinger prop. I'm running 14x5 but haven't test flown it yet.. springs not far. My motor is 870kv so I pitched up to 5 and have a bit more airflow by going 14 inch diameter. Back to what I was checking into earlier it is hard for me to tell for sure but think it is the stock adapter on there, sorta lost track but looks like it. Though it is the stock adapter I used a different piece with it (the one that fits over top of the screw that the spinner back plate buts up against. I had to use a shorter one as the 870 kv motor is a bit longer than the stock motor. So in order to get the spacing I wanted I robbed that from a different adapter to get my spacing. Hope this makes sense. All that said you should be able to use the extreme flight spinner. Perhaps someone else can chime in with others that have worked. I personally like the larger spinner more than the stock one as it covers up the motor and mount better. Also, I can swap it with the red one from the 3dhs extra back and forth if I want. Just built the extra 330 sc... can't wait to fly it! Transmitter sounds like it will do the trick. I don't really like helis like planes... started in the hobby to old to be good at them... they are challenging, I mostly just fly my planes. Hope this helps, let me know if you need clarification. Cheers.

Brandon
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:25 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.JJ View Post
I just checked out your line-up, thats some serious money you have in them. This hobby can be addictive! I really like the one from 3dhs, Ive been eyeballin the big foamie they have. Figured if things go bad, i could use my electronics in one of them. Which is more of a money pit, helis or planes?
HELIS are money pits.left is right, down is up, and up is expensive. they are crazy money suckers when starting out. the better you get, naturally the less you will crash them.
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
[QUOTE=IEATSRT;20809312]Yup lots to play with, lots invested. I keep a ton of spare parts on hand also, so times like those when I'm tinkering I can usually make something work. Attached some pictures of the extreme flight spinner and Zinger prop. I'm running 14x5 but haven't test flown it yet.. springs not far. My motor is 870kv so I pitched up to 5 and have a bit more airflow by going 14 inch diameter. Back to what I was checking into earlier it is hard for me to tell for sure but think it is the stock adapter on there, sorta lost track but looks like it. Though it is the stock adapter I used a different piece with it (the one that fits over top of the screw that the spinner back plate buts up against. I had to use a shorter one as the 870 kv motor is a bit longer than the stock motor. So in order to get the spacing I wanted I robbed that from a different adapter to get my spacing. Hope this makes sense. All that said you should be able to use the extreme flight spinner. Perhaps someone else can chime in with others that have worked. I personally like the larger spinner more than the stock one as it covers up the motor and mount better. Also, I can swap it with the red one from the 3dhs extra back and forth if I want. Just built the extra 330 sc... can't wait to fly it! Transmitter sounds like it will do the trick. I don't really like helis like planes... started in the hobby to old to be good at them... they are challenging, I mostly just fly my planes. Hope this helps, let me know if you need clarification. Cheers.
Brandon[/QUOTE

With that bigger prop, hovering will prolly be more stable i bet. Do you remember if the stock motor gets hot? I was wondering if the smaller spinner allows the motor to cool better? Ive seen some spinners that are basically a small cone nut which allows more air to hit the motor. Just wondering if you had any thoughts on this.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
HELIS are money pits.left is right, down is up, and up is expensive. they are crazy money suckers when starting out. the better you get, naturally the less you will crash them.
Thats what ive heard, and the tiny ones are frustrating to work on. I try not to have too many rcs at a time. I sold my 2 trucks and my first heli to make room for a new plane and heli
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,272 Posts
[QUOTE=Dr.JJ;20809722]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
Yup lots to play with, lots invested. I keep a ton of spare parts on hand also, so times like those when I'm tinkering I can usually make something work. Attached some pictures of the extreme flight spinner and Zinger prop. I'm running 14x5 but haven't test flown it yet.. springs not far. My motor is 870kv so I pitched up to 5 and have a bit more airflow by going 14 inch diameter. Back to what I was checking into earlier it is hard for me to tell for sure but think it is the stock adapter on there, sorta lost track but looks like it. Though it is the stock adapter I used a different piece with it (the one that fits over top of the screw that the spinner back plate buts up against. I had to use a shorter one as the 870 kv motor is a bit longer than the stock motor. So in order to get the spacing I wanted I robbed that from a different adapter to get my spacing. Hope this makes sense. All that said you should be able to use the extreme flight spinner. Perhaps someone else can chime in with others that have worked. I personally like the larger spinner more than the stock one as it covers up the motor and mount better. Also, I can swap it with the red one from the 3dhs extra back and forth if I want. Just built the extra 330 sc... can't wait to fly it! Transmitter sounds like it will do the trick. I don't really like helis like planes... started in the hobby to old to be good at them... they are challenging, I mostly just fly my planes. Hope this helps, let me know if you need clarification. Cheers.
Brandon[/QUOTE

With that bigger prop, hovering will prolly be more stable i bet. Do you remember if the stock motor gets hot? I was wondering if the smaller spinner allows the motor to cool better? Ive seen some spinners that are basically a small cone nut which allows more air to hit the motor. Just wondering if you had any thoughts on this.
There's holes in the spinner backplate so air can get in there and help with cooling. I never did check stock motor temp and haven't had a chance to fly with the lower kv motor. In both cases though I personally feel as though the motors are over amped a bit which creates heat. For example the 870 is rated for 45 amps. Though stock motor ratings aren't published I would bet they are the same if not less. The stock system pulls more than that (static) so I think it is over amped a bit but prop unloading will bring that number down some in the air. Just don't go wot for really long bursts. Yes, in theory using a larger diameter prop will get more airflow over the control surfaces making them more effective when performing some stationary and slow maneuvers such as hovering, torque rolling slow harrier rolls etc.
Last edited by IEATSRT; Feb 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:12 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,272 Posts
For those with Phoenix Sim

I only had about 8 flights with my CZ Yak, winter hit and haven't had a chance to fly her again. From what I remember worked on a variant last couple days. For those of you with more flights on her and are running phoenix let me know what you think. Feel free to make adjustments and re-post your variant if I'm way off the mark. Plane loads as the mini yak with my adjustments. Also here's the cz yak scheme that looks great.

Cheers
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:09 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Ive heard the thicker mounts were still weak, but it will be ok for me as im not gonna be doing 3d for awhile. Is the cnc lighter?
Not sure if it's lighter. Just a better quality metal. Stock X mount will be fine for "normal" flying
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:45 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
[QUOTE=IEATSRT;20810445]
Quote:

There's holes in the spinner backplate so air can get in there and help with cooling. I never did check stock motor temp and haven't had a chance to fly with the lower kv motor. In both cases though I personally feel as though the motors are over amped a bit which creates heat. For example the 870 is rated for 45 amps. Though stock motor ratings aren't published I would bet they are the same if not less. The stock system pulls more than that (static) so I think it is over amped a bit but prop unloading will bring that number down some in the air. Just don't go wot for really long bursts. Yes, in theory using a larger diameter prop will get more airflow over the control surfaces making them more effective when performing some stationary and slow maneuvers such as hovering, torque rolling slow harrier rolls etc.
I wish they would release specs for the servos and motor, I ditched all the electronics and went with a castle ice lite 75amp esc, hyperion 3025 8 motor that's rated for 75amps or 1250 watts yet weighs the same as the power 25, hitec 5085 servos and a hyperion 2650mah 4s 35c lipo. Hopefully I'll get to fly it soon.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:03 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,272 Posts
Same here. I put in power 25 just cause I had it as a spare, but I'd like to try a torque or hacker with similar specs to your Hyperion. I have castle 80 amp was also a spare as well as castle ubec. Hitec 85 mg servos as well. The only thing stock is airframe. Looking forward to summer.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
Same here. I put in power 25 just cause I had it as a spare, but I'd like to try a torque or hacker with similar specs to your Hyperion. I have castle 80 amp was also a spare as well as castle ubec. Hitec 85 mg servos as well. The only thing stock is airframe. Looking forward to summer.
++1 on summer!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:24 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I'm not looking forward to summer over here in Phoenix Arizona lol! It's been a great winter so far over here, 70 degrees daily with calm conditions every morning and around sunset.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I'm not looking forward to summer over here in Phoenix Arizona lol! It's been a great winter so far over here, 70 degrees daily with calm conditions every morning and around sunset.
DANG... talk about amazing weather...