SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:10 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Flew the yak this morning, everything was going great, last flight of the day I come around for the landing approach and lose the elevator or had a brownout, the plane was heading straight for the ground and it wasn't pulling up. Here's the aftermath of my yard sale lol!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:27 PM
3D and slope Pilot in training
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Jikes that is alot of money down the drain. Does not look like its savable?

RIP
Gotlieb is offline Find More Posts by Gotlieb
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:37 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Wow that's too bad. Guess it's time to fire up the hot glue gun. The replacement fuselage's are on backorder till may. Maybe you will get lucky and find one somewhere on the net.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:40 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Well My first 2 youtube vids of my yak were poor landings so I figured I would at least get a video of a decent one. I'm still getting used to the whole plane thing but I like it.

E-flite Yak 54 Carbon Z - Late morning flight- Yes I can land it softly!! (5 min 28 sec)
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Well My first 2 youtube vids of my yak were poor landings so I figured I would at least get a video of a decent one. I'm still getting used to the whole plane thing but I like it.
Looks like you need some more space. Those trees look a bit plane unfriendly

Maybe the lack of space also aids the landing problem.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
I watched all three your videos now and i think your flying sites are way to tight.... you need space man. Need to level that bird off properly and then bring it in with throttle.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:10 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlieb View Post
Jikes that is alot of money down the drain. Does not look like its savable?

RIP
It will fly again, all the chunks fit nicely together however the motor has a bent shaft, not sure if replacing the shaft will save it, the esc has 2 caps that bent and popped off and the lipo got slammed! Also bent the cnc mount I just got from Terry. Everything else looks savable, haven't checked the servos yet but I called HH and they said to send it in, hopefully they might be able to help, if not, it's getting glued back together!
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
It will fly again, all the chunks fit nicely together however the motor has a bent shaft, not sure if replacing the shaft will save it, the esc has 2 caps that bent and popped off and the lipo got slammed! Also bent the cnc mount I just got from Terry. Everything else looks savable, haven't checked the servos yet but I called HH and they said to send it in, hopefully they might be able to help, if not, it's getting glued back together!
Is it bind and fly?
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:53 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Yes. BNF
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:49 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I guess I should have invested $35 in a remote Rx and $30 for a flight logger!
Last edited by slo-fly; Mar 07, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:01 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I was just inspecting the cnc mount from sotog (Terry) after the crash, has a slight bend but no signs of stress or fractures, I think it would be impossible to ever break Terry's cnc mount, as mine took a very hard hit straight in and only bent the mount ever so slightly, the motor shaft bent more than the mount, very impressive!
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:03 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Left wing came loose during flight

My friend maidened his Carbon-Z today. The flight went very well. So, later he asked me if I wanted to give his Carbon-Z a try. Well, things started off great...performed some rolls and inverted flight. The Carbon-Z has a very good roll rate and seemed very balanced in the inverted attitude. While performing a 2/3 throttle up-line climb, I ended the climb with a tumble (throttle off, full left rudder, full right aileron, full forward elevator). I was impressed with how the Carbon-Z tumbled so well. After the tumble, I performed a couple of CCW circuits. On the second circuit, I noticed the Carbon-Z wanted to roll to the right...something didn't feel right. Then suddenly, the entire left wing began to flutter. I then noticed (along with 3 other of my flying friends) that the left wing had backed out at least 1 in. away from the fuselage. The left wing was totally unsecure. Well, things didn't end well. I couldn't control the Carbon-Z and down it went, nose-first into the ground. The damage was extensive, including a completely broken fuselage and I believe the motor was damaged, as well.

Anyway, we are still scratching our heads at how the left wing came loose . My friend is taking a closer look tonight. So, hopefully we'll have an answer. It was definately a mechanical failure and I did nothing that would have stressed the Carbon-Z enough to induce a wing failure. The tumble was very graceful...not a violent maneuver at all.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:08 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Geez, y'all are making me glad the wind and rain kept me off the flightline today. Sorry to hear about the busted Yaks.

Slo-fly, there have been several complaints about failing servos. All this talk of no response from servos is making me nervous.

racin, you are not the first person that had a wing come off. Some said the threaded the screw in to the foam instead of the nut inside the wing. Not really sure how that is even possible as you have to get the screw through the mount on the fuse. I'm wondering if this screw issue is a result of using the incorrect screw for the wing. Basically using the elevator screw instead of the wing screw.

The top screw is the one for the wing...
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Slo-Fly -- !

Thinking that maybe the wires shorted out on the ESC? My new YAK-54 carbon went down yesterday in a muddy field due to operator error; I ran the battery completely dry and ended up taking her down in a nearby field. It did a huge jump upon hitting the ground, I just barely got her to level out before hitting. The fuse ended up breaking in half right behind the cockpit as it bounced off the ground. I think the shear force just tore it in half; better the weak tear in the fuse than 2 wings or even worse - control surface damage. It's a clean break, so I think epoxy will fix it right up.

However, I don't want to end up loosing my electronics on my landing approach especially elevator... Any burnt electronics smell after the crash? I wonder if our setup is bulletproof? Eflite usually does a good job and I have two of their speed controls which have been working ok. Ill take things off your hands for backups, but my vote is to fix it and bring her back out to the field, so we can fly them together next time!
flyinsti is offline Find More Posts by flyinsti
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:59 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
flyinsti, I would spar that fuse. I broke mine in the same place and tried just epoxy. Broke it again two flights later on a hard, but not too hard, landing. Did a write up on my spar placement a few pages back in either this or the other forum. I likely over did it a little, the spar on the bottom would have been enough I think.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie