HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:42 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super cub 3000 View Post
what about the wheels on my new yak i read .few pages back that i should go up to three inch wheels for nose overs is that realy nesecarry
The wheel size doesn't cause roll overs, they are 2 3/4. The problem is that the stock wheel pants have a small gap around the wheel, the wheel doesn't protrude that far below the pant, and the wire gear flexes and bends easily. If you are in taller grass, the wheel picks up grass, pulls it into the pants, and jams up the wheel, landing at higher speeds in grass can cause enough drag that the wire flexes, and the front edge of the wheel pants grab the ground. The gear is tall and wide, there is plenty of control movement available, and nosing over at slower landing speeds isn't much of a problem even in grass. If you land faster, harder, and on very low rates, you can't stop the noseover, the Yak really doesn't nose over any worse than most other 3D balsas in it's class, and is actually better than some, it just takes a proper landing, with sufficient rates to keep from nosing over, and bending the gear wire back if it gets bent rearward over time. You can also trim the wheelell larger in front and back so grass won't get stuck in there as easily, and the gear can bend a little further rearward without hitting the ground. Hitting the elevator counterbalances is an issue though, especially with rough grass and harrier landings. I wrapped packing tape around the sides, and across the rear edge to strengthen them, and added a larger wheel with gear bent little taller so it has more clearance. Over hundreds of flights with probably 99% from grass, I have had no issues.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:59 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Hi guys,

Just did a little video with my old trusty bone stock CZ on the weekend and used a "stick cam" for the first time. Let me know what you think? Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEcn9...Q&feature=plcp
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:08 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,404 Posts
I have also had the elevator ends rip off in grass. What I have done now is to put packing tape over the angled fiber support piece. I have not had anther one rip off, but I have also been a little more careful.

I think increasing the height of the tail wheel would help, but that would also make the nose lower maybe causing prop issues. Just a thought.

Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:22 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
That's some great flying oatmeal savage.
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
That's some great flying oatmeal savage.
Yes it is. Harvey D worked the sticks while I attended to the camera. He's a great young pilot. It was only his fourth flight on a CZ (over a period of several months). I'd love to see what he could do with it if he got to know it a little better.

Thanks for the comment!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
563 Posts
Selling my CZ Yak as a (nearly) bare airframe.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589553
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:00 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Extended Servo Arms

I'd noticed on a friends Sebart Katana just how much throw he was getting from his tail control surfaces compared to my Yak.

Anyway I got some servo control arm extensions from HK a while back and fitted them today to the Towerpro MG16R servos.

I wasn't to scientific about the change but I did have to reduce my throws back (previously were on 150% on my radio) to 100% on the elevator and around 90% on the rudder due to everything reaching their limits!

Can't wait to try it out.
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
I'm using long dubro arms on hitec servos on my Yak, the greater throws do help a lot, the plane can be sluggish, and the lack of throw with the stock setup makes it worse. Most balsa 3D planes have at least 45 degrees movement on all surfaces. The yak can pretty much get there, but with down elevator, the horn hits the H-stab at 30-35 degrees and limits travel, no real good way to fix it.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:05 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
I know this is a odd question but, could some one measure the pilot figure that comes with the Yak please? I've been searching for a pilot figure for my Deuces Wild and can't find anything in it's size. It needs to be 3" tall. Thanks in advance!
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
i know this is a odd question but, could some one measure the pilot figure that comes with the yak please? I've been searching for a pilot figure for my deuces wild and can't find anything in it's size. It needs to be 3" tall. Thanks in advance!
2 7/8"
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
2 7/8"
Sweet! Thanks so much! I've been looking all over the net and the smallest sport pilot was about 4" the Yak pilot will do nicely.
Thanks again!
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Sweet! Thanks so much! I've been looking all over the net and the smallest sport pilot was about 4" the Yak pilot will do nicely.
Thanks again!
You are most welcome. He's cheap too!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:48 PM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
645 Posts
Got my Yak going last week with a HK SK motor and for $23 the thing is dynamite. If E-Flite ever sell a complete air frame (that's available and not on back order) they would surely increase their sales as the thing flies really, really well and is beyond tough.
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Thinking seriously about giving the Yak a try. Wanting to step up from my PZ Extra 300. I want a 3DHS 48" Edge 540 but not sure if my current skill level would be enough. Leaning toward the Yak due to it being able to take more of a beating and easier repairs. I have been reading through this thread and the only things that causes me to hesitate is the servo problems and needing to buy a stock of 4s batteries. I have been asking for advise all over the the place so here is the chance to give me your 2 cents worth. Thanks in advance.
MARCOELDRAGON is online now Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
645 Posts
See if all the foam pieces are in stock and build your own. This is a lot more work but you'll have a cheaper, better plane.
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy