HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:32 PM
3D and slope Pilot in training
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Question before i order this plane....

Is it more floaty than the Parkzone Extra 300.... i don't want two planes with the same style.

I need something thats got less wingloading and still be fairly crash resistant....

The Carbon Z looks like my type of plane
Gotlieb is offline Find More Posts by Gotlieb
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:32 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Terry you are getting more activity on these CZ YAK forums that anything else....
helicow is online now Find More Posts by helicow
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:36 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Terry you are getting more activity on these CZ YAK forums that anything else....
Ya, they seem to be pretty popular. I made a good size batch of parts last weekend, but looks like I may be making another batch pretty soon. I'll always have them in stock and ready to ship!

Terry
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Jul 2009
566 Posts
Anyone experimented with moving the CG back as far as possible. Where is the point where you stop gaining maneuverability and just make the plane impossible to fly? I've gone as far as 12cm back and it still seems controllable. Cutting weight and making this thing fly as good as a 3DHS plane is my goal but I think I have my work cut out for me.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:34 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
My Yak is running great now the motor mount that broke in 2 places was replaced. They also replaced the motor just in case as it was making a loud bearing noise. The noise sounds very similar to the Parkzone Extra 300 motor.
My original motor had the notchy feel when turned by hand.

Running Turnigy nanotech 4S 3000 Lipos which cost me $95 for 2 with UPS shipping from HK

So could have bought 3 for the price of 1 Eflite lipo
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Mar 04, 2011, 06:48 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I tried a new spinner and prop and got rid of nearly all the vibrations but it's still super loud at full throttle, I think it is the airflow going across the cowl. I noticed a delay in my throttle, prop starts spinning at about 20% throttle and hits full throttle at around 80%. I am using a DX6i, do I need to reprogram the esc to fix this (read something about the 1.8-1.9 thing to help resolution with the Tx) and also wanted to program the esc to a 4s instead of the 70% cutoff rate and maybe remove or lighten up the speed brake, not sure if this is a good idea or not.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:28 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Got Terry's mount in and it looks great. Also inspected each part as I pulled the old mount off. The gaskets are compressed to different degrees (new gaskets become compressed quickly requiring the screws to be tightened again.) The screws that mount to the cowl/firewall are very stressed where they go through the motor mount. The back plate of the spinner is also showing signs of fatigue. See pictures off all these below. Also had one of the o-ring/gaskets crack when I was installing the new mount.

All this vibration is eventually going to take it's toll on the cowl...That will mean a new airframe if it should fail. Would have to pull the motor all the way out to inspect the mounts on the cowl but with everything else connected to the motor showing wear so quickly it might not be a bad idea.

Pictures are here.

Any chance we can close one of these two threads...Or can we get them merged maybe?
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:57 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,343 Posts
Small Parts Mount

Just installed the "Terry" mount. Fine machined part. Will add an eflite spinner (EFLSP225) and re-maiden.
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:12 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,343 Posts
Btw....

To continue the motor mount saga I was at my LHS last week to see if they had any eflite replacement mounts and they had two. They were both numbered and bagged the same but were distinctly different. This reflects the same problem when Horizon shipped me a "replacement mount" which was smaller and incorrect. I had sent the picture of the broken mount which came with the plane and the smaller, incorrect replacement to help Horizon identify and acknowledge a problem, do the right thing and move on. I am still pissed at the treatment I recieved from Scott Griffith.

I then snapped this picture at the LHS and sent it to them to further my point and recieved no response. Not sure what is up with the crew there but it is good to know that we the customers can come up with our own options.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:28 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
To continue the motor mount saga I was at my LHS last week to see if they had any eflite replacement mounts and they had two. They were both numbered and bagged the same but were distinctly different. This reflects the same problem when Horizon shipped me a "replacement mount" which was smaller and incorrect. I had sent the picture of the broken mount which came with the plane and the smaller, incorrect replacement to help Horizon identify and acknowledge a problem, do the right thing and move on. I am still pissed at the treatment I recieved from Scott Griffith.

I then snapped this picture at the LHS and sent it to them to further my point and recieved no response. Not sure what is up with the crew there but it is good to know that we the customers can come up with our own options.
I think I saw the same thing sitting on the shelf @ my LHS, I didn't look that close cause it was on a wall behind the counter but it did look smaller than the others.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:46 PM
United States, CA, West Hills
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
Landing help/tips

Hi Guys,

I flew my Carbon Z for the first time today on low rates. It flew good but only problem i have is landing, out of 4 landing 3 were bouncy and landed hot.

Can you guys please give me any tips/pointer on landing this plan?

Thanks
zsultan is offline Find More Posts by zsultan
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:55 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,343 Posts
When landing this type of plane make a low speed pass about five feet off the deck. Make sure the front wheels and tail wheel are level with the deck and each other. On the comearound slowly decrease the throttle and maintain the 3 point attitude and she will grab the runway. Once you do it the first time you will get it everytime thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsultan View Post
Hi Guys,

I flew my Carbon Z for the first time today on low rates. It flew good but only problem i have is landing, out of 4 landing 3 were bouncy and landed hot.

Can you guys please give me any tips/pointer on landing this plan?

Thanks
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:27 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I find it's easier for me to come in further and lower from the runway than expected and I ride it in at about 25% throttle (which still seems fast for a landing approach) and as as I'm 2-3 off the ground and 10' away from the runway I cut the prop and let it settle with a slight flare, I find using too much elevator on the flare will cause it go in the air again or take a unwanted bounce. I'd say pick up the speed a little if you're bouncing, maybe a bit less flare. I did program flaps but haven't used them yet, I find this plane is fairly easy to land once you get used to it, coming in hot intimidates me a little but I find the landings much smoother.
Last edited by slo-fly; Mar 05, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:35 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I love how this plane handles the wind, it's big enough that it doesn't get tossed around and has the power to chew right through wind, super strong and stable. I had fun with the crosswind landings, crabbing it in for the first time was a little nerve wreaking!
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, West Hills
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
I currently fly a Wingsmaker Handyman, does n't this plane feel too heavy in the air? It has power but also its considerably heavy.

How do you compare this to a multiplex acromaster? I was talking to a guy at the field and he says he has both acromaster and Carbon Z, claims acromaster is a much better flyer. Is it so? Does carbon Z need a smooth pavement to land? place i fly doesnt have smooth pavement, the pavement was not maintained for years and it's rough with little gravel.

Thanks
zsultan is offline Find More Posts by zsultan