SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:50 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Thanks HH for once again going above and beyond. Had an issue with the original prop adapter on my Yak, so I called HH. They sent out a new one; but also threw a prop and spinner in the box Great service as usual.

Yep Slo-fly, and it's the area I need the most improvement in, although I'm getting better. Had the Corsair for about 2 months now and the Yak for 3 weeks. Don't think I have run a battery over 5 minutes yet. Not cause I don't want to keep flying, but because I know I need to keep practicing the landings. On the same note though, I'm not willing to just go up and then land...Might as well have a little fun while in the air before having to bring it down.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:54 AM
Watch my trickeration! Oops...
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Dec 2010
248 Posts
hang in there kid! You'll get it. I enjoy flying with you. It's always so exciting!!!
Mustangman50 is offline Find More Posts by Mustangman50
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:44 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Yesterday another CZ-YAK broke in the same place on the fuse as the others we have seen on this thread. Of course the pilot managed to hit the big yellow rock at the end of the field so we can't blame HH for this one. Mine is still doing great, you can't break them in the air, you have to hit something.

Picture taken at the SEFSD Electric only field in San Diego.
Name: brokenyak.jpg
Views: 445
Size: 146.2 KB
Description:
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Jul 2009
567 Posts
There's a simple fix to this fuse breakage issue. Break out the clear packing tape and reinforce the fuse in the weak area. Someone even put some carbon longerons in but packing tape has enormous tensile strength and will make the fuse much stronger.

Oh and don't crash! Anything that flexes the gear far enough for the fuse to hit the ground is a crash, plain and simple. I consider it a crash landing if the gear flexes far enough for the prop to strike and call myself lucky if that's all that is damaged.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Mar 02, 2011, 03:07 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I have busted mine there as well. I don't blame HH though. There has to be a weak point somewhere. If everything was solid and all beefed up it would add alot of weight in my opinion. I am a novice in the plane dept and realize this is not a trainer.
Here is a cell phone vid of a flight yesterday. I really need to find a better runway. I am coming in between 2 trees and have a short landing spot. This is about as hard of a landing as I've seen with one of these planes and she held up. This flight is after I hot glued it back together. I still get nervous with it and prolly will untill I master landing her. Hey is this a crash or just a hard landing?? LOL Just saying!!

E flite Yak 54 Carbon Z getting used to it! (4 min 3 sec)
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:53 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Wow! With a landing area like that I'd guess that you'll be improving sooner than later. I flew too long without landing gear and thought I could fly decently until I got some planes that needed landing gear.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:29 PM
Dublin, Ca
Joined Nov 2007
127 Posts
thats kind of a crash....why not just land in the field....dosent look too bad...
Joe in Dublin is offline Find More Posts by Joe in Dublin
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:12 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I have busted mine there as well. I don't blame HH though. There has to be a weak point somewhere. If everything was solid and all beefed up it would add alot of weight in my opinion.
Nice landing for where you were trying to put it down...lol. I'd call that a hard landing, and I'm a little surprised it didn't break the fuse. Nice flyin though. Liked the go around!

As for blaming HH, not on this one at all, that said; yes the plane is pretty weak in that area. As for making it stronger adding too much weight, I doubt it. Mine flew great today and it has two glue seams AND the added spars shown a few posts back and still flys great. If adding them on a new frame, you'd likely only need one or two spars. The one on the bottom of the plane adds the most landing impact resistance. It's a really thin spar, but positioned horizontally so the strength gain is significant. This will certainly go in my next fuse.

Flew four times today and had three good landings. One was a little hard, but with the spar there where no worries.

The motor & prop sound a little rough at high rpm though. Hope that whole issues gets resolved sooner then later.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
The motor & prop sound a little rough at high rpm though. Hope that whole issues gets resolved sooner then later.
.....what's your thoughts on the motor noise?
I'm wondering on the PNP version if there is timing issues with the ESC.
I need to order some lipos for it.
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:24 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
I'm clueless Scott, I'm hoping the experts figure it out soon. I know it's resulting in broken motor mounts and odd harmonics at certain RPM. Could be a balancing issues with something. I tried three stock props today. One brand new and balanced, one brand new not balanced, one used and balanced. Pretty much the same sound with all three.

During one of the prop swap outs, I did find something a little interesting though. One bolt on the motor mount/firewall hole was loose. Turns out that the little gasket was cracked. My new motor mount now has 8 flights on it and seems to look ok; but I still need to do a close up inspection for fatigue lines.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:55 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Mine is very loud too, at full throttle kinda sounds like a lawnmower lol! I get a little vibration @ certain rpm's as well. I need to try a different prop, not sure if this is normal. I just got the new cnc motor mount from Terry today, extremely impressed, this thing is well worth the money! Thanks again Terry!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:08 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
I checked the mail before I went to fly today hoping Terry's mount was in it, but no such luck. Most likely tomorrow.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:51 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
The field is a little soggy. It was covered in snow not long ago. I tried taking off and landing in the grass the first day I flew her but she doesn't seem to want to roll well in the grass. Maybe after it warms/firms up and the grass gets cut all will be fine for grass landings.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Jul 2009
122 Posts
Where are you guys getting these after market CNC motor mounts from? Can I get a link?
tjm5837 is offline Find More Posts by tjm5837
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:24 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm5837 View Post
Where are you guys getting these after market CNC motor mounts from? Can I get a link?
Hi,

I make and sell them. Send me a PM and I'll get you more info.

Here is a link to the classified ad I put up:

CZ Yak 54 Mount

Terry
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor