HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:55 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Would THIS Servo Work...??

Ok this is the servo out of a Stryker, the EF DSV-130M:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1090

Naturally, no specs. But they've been great performers for me. I doubt speed would be a concern; more just wondering whether they've have enuf grunt for the CZ Yak.

Anybody??
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:26 PM
R0CC0336
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2009
57 Posts
@alucard

Thanks, I was afraid to go to extreme one way or the other on the CG not wanting to make it so unstable it met ME. I will try shoving the battery back as described and see what happens. I may look into the 13 prop but might just stick to the 12 for CG dialing as to not mess with to many variables at once.?.? IDK.

I set the control surface throws to the measurements listed in the manual. It seems like they get the job done but again I will take it one adjustment at a time.

Thanks again!!!

Do you know of a Gens Ace (or like) battery that is pretty close in size, weight and power?
rocco987 is offline Find More Posts by rocco987
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:48 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I couldn't fly 3D if somebody held a gun to my head.
Hahaha! That's ok. I'm not the greatest 3D pilot in the world either.
In fact, the CZ Yak is my first 3D plane. I've got about 50 flights onto it so far. I'm taking it slowly on step at a time.
But the only way I can progress into being a better 3D pilot is by having a good setup. If you stick with an acrobatic setup that doesn't do well at all in 3D, you'll have a hard time learning.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:55 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post

Naturally, no specs. But they've been great performers for me. I doubt speed would be a concern; more just wondering whether they've have enuf grunt for the CZ Yak.

Anybody??
These are the same servos as used in the Parkzone T28 rudder and elevator. Metal gear and digital. I have one of these on one wing of the Carbon Z and the original on the other wing. They seem to work fine together.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:00 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco987 View Post
@alucard

Do you know of a Gens Ace (or like) battery that is pretty close in size, weight and power?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3300-4s1p-40c-4444.html

Fits perfectly and seems to be right on for CG. I was lucky as I just happened to have this for another plane I had gotten rid of.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post

Anybody??
DSV130M and EFLR7140s are basically the same servos, same construction, same gearing, possibly there is a difference in the motor, or board, but none that I can tell. They are both crap, you would be better off with cheap hobbyking stuff. HS-85s are a huge improvement, feel similar to the stock servos, but much stronger, and reliable. The HS-82s can be OK, they are cheap, and very fast, but not as precise, and don't hold position as well as the 85s or stock. HS-5085s are the best, and are expensive, fast, strong, lock into place, and extremely precise.

specs pasted from the Stryker Q thread-

Quote:
DSV130M(almost identical to EFLR7140)16g weight, 1.05/26.5mmL X .48/12mm:W X 1.15/29mmH, they don't publish torque or speed specs, but they measure around 30oz/in torque and .18 sec to 60 degrees at 5.2V, comparitively an HS-85MG is almost the same dimentions 29mX13mmX30mm, heavier at 22g, but MUCH stronger at 45oz/inch, and a hair bit faster at .15 seconds per 60 degrees. The stock servos are digital, they are commanded 300 times a second, HS-85MGs are analog and commanded 50 times a second, you feel this with digitals building torque much faster, and holding a given position better, although the strong HS-85s feel like they hold just as well. You will need 3" extensions and the standard dubro arms (included arms too short). The stock servos have poor quality control, failure prone electronics, and the geartrain mounts are weak, so they will probably strip, or break the gearshaftes from their mounts. I had one stock elevon servo strip before the first flight, and the other stopped centering after about 5 flights, replaced with HS-85MGs, and no problems since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco987 View Post
@alucard

Thanks, I was afraid to go to extreme one way or the other on the CG not wanting to make it so unstable it met ME. I will try shoving the battery back as described and see what happens. I may look into the 13 prop but might just stick to the 12 for CG dialing as to not mess with to many variables at once.?.? IDK.

I set the control surface throws to the measurements listed in the manual. It seems like they get the job done but again I will take it one adjustment at a time.

Thanks again!!!

The Yak isn't terribly CG sensitive, you can fly it well with a CG back pretty far unlike the PKZ Extra300 that is unfliable with a CG just 1/2" back from neutral. Ideally you want an aerobatic CG that holds a downline upright and inverted without pitching out, or tucking in, trimmed, it should fly level at 3/4 throttle, perhaps with a hair bit of elevator to hold it up both upright or inverted. For 3D, moving the CG back a little will make the plane fly level at 1/4-1/2 throttle, usually climbing a bit, with more power, and pitching out of a dive just slightly, again upright and inverted tendencies should be about the same. This helps keep the nose up, gives the tail more authority, and helps stabilize high AOA manuvers and hovers.
Batteries are important, being the stock battery needs to be all the way back to get a decent CG, a heavier battery will make the plane nose-heavy, aerobatics suffers a little, 3D suffers a lot, and landing speeds have to be higher, but it bucks the wind better, and feels a bit more stable at speed. Something in the 300-350g range will be good for aerobatics, and sport flying, the heavier 350g lipos around 3000-3200mah will be more nose heavy, but are still easy to deal with. For 3D, 300g is basically the limit, 250-300g is good for 3D(2200-2650mah), lighter is even better to get that CG right, and save some weight. To get the full power out of the APC props on the stock power setup, you need about 80A-100A discharge capacity requiring 40C lipos in the lighter 2200 mah sizes, and 30C in the larger 3000mah sizes. The stock Lipo, and something like a 35-40C 2650mah is ideal as a well rounded lipo. For me, a 2200, rearward CG, and 13X4 prop is the best for 3D, 2650-2800mah and 12X6apc is best for pattern, or freestyle, and a 3,000mah with the 10.5X9 or 11X7APC props are best for fast sport flying and speed runs. Basically 3 different setups and purposes for this plane, and it does them all well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
These are the same servos as used in the Parkzone T28 rudder and elevator. Metal gear and digital. I have one of these on one wing of the Carbon Z and the original on the other wing. They seem to work fine together.
They are the same part number, but I think there was a change about a year ago when the EFLR7140 was introduced in the Yak. All the DSV130s I have that were bought in older aircraft (corsair, Extra300, Habu), are still running fine, they are smooth and sound different than the gritty and louder ones in more recent aircraft. SO far I've had about 8 out of 14 or so fail, in 2 Yaks, stryker F-27Q, and a couple replacements. In milder aircraft, they seem to hold up OK(Radian Pro, P-47), but in more demanding planes they either strip, or glitch, usually locking up, or failing to return to center. I suspect HH changed specs or manufacturers.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
R0CC0336
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2009
57 Posts
@alucard

Again, thanks. Great information...

Found a Sky LiPo 2200mah 14.8v 4S which weighs 250ish grams for $23.37...

Will pick that up and a 13x4 prop and give it a go...
rocco987 is offline Find More Posts by rocco987
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:12 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Is the motor in the yak identical to a e-flite power 25?? Same bolt pattern?
Yes, it is the same. In fact all 3 versions of the power 25,( the 870,1000,and the 1250 kv) have the same bolt pattern.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:08 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
alucard0822 - I am always impressed by your responses. You are detailed and specific. You have provided me much useful information - thanks again.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:11 PM
Not home......at the field
Greenvile, PA
Joined Apr 2009
80 Posts
I have been following this thread since the beginning and have had a Yak for a while now. I was wondering what 2200 mah lipos some of you use? I have several 40c that won't even get the plane off the ground without the lvc kicking in.

Here is a vid my daughter shot a couple days ago. I am using a 3000 mah bat and everything else including the prop is stock.(I did get the aluminum motor mount upgrade.) I like to use Blue Lipo 2650's the most but only have two. I have worn out two props (12x6 and13x4) on this plane and have gone back to the stock for now.

68 Inich Extra and E-Flight Carbon-Z Yak.wmv (5 min 20 sec)
hamburgrd is offline Find More Posts by hamburgrd
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:16 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburgrd View Post
I have been following this thread since the beginning and have had a Yak for a while now. I was wondering what 2200 mah lipos some of you use? I have several 40c that won't even get the plane off the ground without the lvc kicking in.

Here is a vid my daughter shot a couple days ago. I am using a 3000 mah bat and everything else including the prop is stock.(I did get the aluminum motor mount upgrade.) I like to use Blue Lipo 2650's the most but only have two. I have worn out two props (12x6 and13x4) on this plane and have gone back to the stock for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I257zr4jg4

2200 is not enough 2650 4s is right on !!!!
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:37 PM
Not home......at the field
Greenvile, PA
Joined Apr 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Thank you. I have a couple 3000 that are good for windy days but my next order will be the 2650.

I also have some skis to try out this winter.
hamburgrd is offline Find More Posts by hamburgrd
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Big 10-4 on that...Sky lipos from Hp do well, imo
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Need Suggestions, Pls

Fellas, need some ideas, pls

Basically a bud of mine got a CZ Yak, crashed it (totalled) and so he sold me the motor (EFLM7300) & esc for a song.

But I already have a CZ Yak; and rather than let this motor & esc sit, I wondered the flwg:

a) is there another E-Flite model it'd be good in; or
b) if not, what other model would this power combo be good in?

I already have a passel of 4S/2650's so I'd really like to try this powerplant in something other than the CZ Yak

Thx in advance

Jeff
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:03 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I bet it would fly well in MY Cz Yak!
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06