HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
Mooooove over.
Manitoba
Joined Jun 2010
8 Posts
SUPER dissapointed with my eflite carbon z yak. First flight, I take her around the patch, fly her on low rates, and do some precision aerobatics, after a very smooth landing, I taxied it back with a tiny bit of up elevator, just to keep the tailwheel down. It was a nice slow taxi. Shut it down, carry it back over, i notice the elevator servo has some up elevator input. Check the servo, SEIZED. try powering it up. Nada. Neverthelss, a good flying airplane, with poor stuff. Warranty call tomorrow, but at that, if I get a new eflite servo (which you cant even buy stock direct) whats saying that it wont fail in flight, and I end up with a 400 POS..... Likley I cant return it now..... If I could, or could get close to what I payed for on the thing, I'd buy the 3dHs machine I was looking at. spending more would have been worth it......

Hitec servos for life..... Horizon hobby doesnt even know the word quality.
Monsterbull is offline Find More Posts by Monsterbull
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,879 Posts
Is the motor in the yak identical to a e-flite power 25?? Same bolt pattern?
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:20 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterbull View Post
SUPER dissapointed with my eflite carbon z yak. First flight, I take her around the patch, fly her on low rates, and do some precision aerobatics, after a very smooth landing, I taxied it back with a tiny bit of up elevator, just to keep the tailwheel down. It was a nice slow taxi. Shut it down, carry it back over, i notice the elevator servo has some up elevator input. Check the servo, SEIZED. try powering it up. Nada. Neverthelss, a good flying airplane, with poor stuff. Warranty call tomorrow, but at that, if I get a new eflite servo (which you cant even buy stock direct) whats saying that it wont fail in flight, and I end up with a 400 POS..... Likley I cant return it now..... If I could, or could get close to what I payed for on the thing, I'd buy the 3dHs machine I was looking at. spending more would have been worth it......

Interesting my Yak and another 2 who fly at my field have all had the motor mount break but thats all. Servos are all good
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:28 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
Interesting my Yak and another 2 who fly at my field have all had the motor mount break but thats all. Servos are all good
Watch them closely. The fellow at HH let it slip that they have a very high failure rate. Mine was on the aileron and it was sheer luck that I got it down in one piece.
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:33 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,998 Posts
Finally picked up some 13x4 apc props.. kind of an odd size around here but one of the shops had a few. Should be nice,not concerned about speed.. the carbon z probably does 70mph straight and level or better,has anyone clocked one of them on radar? Motor mount on mine is still fine but i dont fly nearly as much as some and i swapped the stock prop early on after a few flights.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:35 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
na tom it's all gravy.

about gyro's. bottom line first
whatever makes you happy
that being said:
yes, gyros, like many other things, will mask pilot error which is bad.
yes, gyros likely lower the progression rate of just learning to fly to start with
however, the following statement is also true:
if you're the best r/c pilot in the world trying to fly pattern competition without the assist; you're going to get your f'ing doors blown off by every competent IMAC/Pattern pilot as guess what every pattern pilot's ship has had since about 1997-2000. Yup. At the very least a rate gyro on rudder.

then you get into other things gyros are good at:
for instance. not everyone wants to actually be more than about a 20% skill competent pilot. Go read all your big R/C mag's in the 70's through the mid 90's. pay attention to the insane masterfully built scale aircraft. Which were big, REAL SCALE, very heavy wing loadings and short on power. Guess what happened at every competition, was in every mag article? crashed birds due to pure newbie pilot error! builders build man, they don't FLY!?!?!?!?!?!?

Now a days people can hover, but dont know how to correct for torque on takeoff with tail draggers if the takeoff run consists of more than a 5 foot run down the runway. So they just put a HH gyro on rudder to do it for them. hey, that's gravy.
And people dont know what to do when a crosswind hits a plane, so you know. gotta have that HH gyro on ailerons too.
And you know... that whole speed determining lift which can change the pitch on some planes thing is a total bitch too, so might as well put a gyro on elevator.

na, but there really are some scale designs out there that are beasts on the ground and greatly benefit from a HH gyro. And some people just don't get that trying to fly sub 4 pound airplanes, or just in general lightly loaded planes with big wings & dihedral does require some work to keep level.

whatever floats your boat.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:42 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
i will say the two things i always laugh at are the following:
people that put roll gyro in trainers / big high wing planes because of wind: hey numbnuts, why dont you... buy a sport plane that will actually fly in the wind???
and
people that put a rudder gyro on a plane that has no problem on the ground (long moment & insufficient throw with big features that catch in the wind are great candidates for a yaw gyro on the ground lol) just for ground handling. i mean... if you can fly knife edge, you officially have the prerequisite skill set to handle a tail dragger on the ground. find rudder stick, push over until plane goes straight line, hold)

seriously, i've seen that from the club numb nutz too. complains about the ground handling of a 4* so he could justify putting a gyro on it. really guy? so you can do knife edge and rolling circles, but can't hold the rudder over a smidge?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:04 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Finally picked up some 13x4 apc props.. kind of an odd size around here but one of the shops had a few. Should be nice,not concerned about speed.. the carbon z probably does 70mph straight and level or better,has anyone clocked one of them on radar? Motor mount on mine is still fine but i dont fly nearly as much as some and i swapped the stock prop early on after a few flights.
I have flown the my yak from the first day with a 13x4 prop. It is quite the drastic difference going from a prop like the 12x6. Not only is it 1 inch larger but 2 inches less pitch.

The plane flies really nice, but I find that the 13x4 might be a little bit on the slow side. I think this prop will give the plane a 3:1 Thrust to Weight ratio. Which is more than you need.

So today i cut down my 13x4 prop to 12x4. This should put it more where I like it. The nice thing is that it also reduced the power consumption quite a bit. It went down from 75amps and almost 1400watts to 65 amps and 1200watts (NOTE-this is on Turnigy motor,not stock). That should get me better runtimes too. And top speed will be improved.

Can't wait to try it out.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:13 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,067 Posts
I just put a 11x7E APC prop on. Made it even quieter. Seems like a nice match.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:59 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I just put a 11x7E APC prop on. Made it even quieter. Seems like a nice match.
Thats like going the opposite way compared to most people who go the 13x4 route. 11x7 will kill off some of the thrust while giving it more top speed. Nice for accrobatics, not as nice for 3D moves.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:16 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
just going more towards the speed end of sport plane side of the model. thats cool

i think the 12*6 is the best all around prop for the stock plane. fast enough for general sport flying, enough even thrust & speed to fly pattern aerobatics, enough thrust & spool for 3D.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:02 PM
R0CC0336
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2009
57 Posts
I have had the Yak for a few months and have half a dozen or more flights on it. So far I'm not very impressed with the way it flies. I follow this thread very loosely and pick up on things here and there but have probably missed a bunch of information; positive or negative.

I'm running the 12x6E APC prop and find the plane flies well for basic non-aggressive maneuvers. Anytime I try some thing a bit for aggressive like a blender or harrier the performance sucks. I am by no means a great pilot but I can hold my own. Things that I can accomplish with the PZ Extra 300 are horrible when attempted with the Yak. I'm thinking CG might be the contributing factor. I am flying the stock battery and have tried the CG range in this plane but nothing seems to help. I have heard the plane should be set up differently for 3D or Sport type flying...any suggestions or anyone else have this issue or is there something outside of CG I need to try?
rocco987 is offline Find More Posts by rocco987
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:03 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
Thats like going the opposite way compared to most people who go the 13x4 route. 11x7 will kill off some of the thrust while giving it more top speed. Nice for accrobatics, not as nice for 3D moves.
I couldn't fly 3D if somebody held a gun to my head.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:37 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterbull View Post

Mine flies fine now after fixing a littany of problems but if another servo cuts loose or any other issues I am going to stomp the living crap of of it and call it a wash.......
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:47 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco987 View Post
I have had the Yak for a few months and have half a dozen or more flights on it. So far I'm not very impressed with the way it flies. I follow this thread very loosely and pick up on things here and there but have probably missed a bunch of information; positive or negative.

I'm running the 12x6E APC prop and find the plane flies well for basic non-aggressive maneuvers. Anytime I try some thing a bit for aggressive like a blender or harrier the performance sucks. I am by no means a great pilot but I can hold my own. Things that I can accomplish with the PZ Extra 300 are horrible when attempted with the Yak. I'm thinking CG might be the contributing factor. I am flying the stock battery and have tried the CG range in this plane but nothing seems to help. I have heard the plane should be set up differently for 3D or Sport type flying...any suggestions or anyone else have this issue or is there something outside of CG I need to try?
The CG in the manual makes it a bit nose heavy, the stock battery all the way back is pretty close to neutral though. It does take a lot more throw to get the plane to snap around, and where the Extra can snap on pretty low rates, it takes more for the Yak. It also has broader wings, and will never snap or spin like the Extra, but can come close. Mine will snap violently in a blender, and slams on the brakes pretty hard, hovers decently well too, does a very good harrier, but you need about as much throw as you can get, and you need to fly with a little more heavy a hand, the throws in the manual have too much expo for me, and I increased the rates higher. The 13X4 does help slow aerobatics and 3D, makes it a different plane compared to the 12X6. you can also swap on the 10.5X9 Extra 300 prop, it barely hovers with it, but will move the plane very fast, especially if you wind it out with some distance, or come out of a hard dive.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822