HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:59 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
not use them as a crutch to prevent learning correct inputs for moves.

Gyros, in planes??? In my 600N, hell yeah; but in fixed wing seems like they would hamper the learning & muscle memory needed for quick stick inputs in 3D

Or maybe not....?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Gyros are an ongoing debate in many plane threads here on rcg. It's really a matter of preference. Some like them and some hate them. I really don't have an opinion one way or another. Seems there is alot of people who do though. Someone says Gyro and next thing you know its .
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:24 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
My take so far

I just bought a CZ Yak 54 form a guy in the club. It only had a few flights and the fellow that sold it said he just didn't like it. Here is what I have found so far:
The stock motor mount is a piece of junk and let go on the second flight. At max throttle the engine sounded awful even after I replaced the motor mount. I double and triple checked the prop and had it perfectly balanced. I finally found the stock prop adapter was off center and not balanced. When I replaced that the engine quieted right down. One more flight and I nearly lost the thing for a second time. I couldn't keep it level and it was just lucky it twitched level when I touched down. I found the servo on one the wings was finding neutral in 3 different deflections. One too high One too low and the actual correct one. Sound about par the course? Sound like what you shoud expect in a $300.00 PNP plane? My last plane from Horizon Hobby was the Parkzone 300. Another unfinished disapointment.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:07 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I just bought a CZ Yak 54 form a guy in the club. It only had a few flights and the fellow that sold it said he just didn't like it. Here is what I have found so far:
The stock motor mount is a piece of junk and let go on the second flight. At max throttle the engine sounded awful even after I replaced the motor mount. I double and triple checked the prop and had it perfectly balanced. I finally found the stock prop adapter was off center and not balanced. When I replaced that the engine quieted right down. One more flight and I nearly lost the thing for a second time. I couldn't keep it level and it was just lucky it twitched level when I touched down. I found the servo on one the wings was finding neutral in 3 different deflections. One too high One too low and the actual correct one. Sound about par the course? Sound like what you shoud expect in a $300.00 PNP plane? My last plane from Horizon Hobby was the Parkzone 300. Another unfinished disapointment.
i do not own this plane , but i think the pz 300 is one of the best flying planes i got, i dont see what the problem is with 300 flys great to me
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:18 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Probably not the best post in the world. Sorry
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Last edited by losifanatic; Aug 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:10 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
props, mount, servos, horns pulling out, common problem for the Z, never heard of the adapter having a problem though. It flies decently well when all the bugs are fixed, not as well as some of the better 3DHS, PA, and Extreme flight birds, but still pretty good for the cost, and simplicity.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:12 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Prop adapter could have had a slight bend from a prop strike. After all the plane was used.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:13 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrDALLAS View Post
i do not own this plane , but i think the pz 300 is one of the best flying planes i got, i dont see what the problem is with 300 flys great to me
I have one also. The wing tips were funky on mine. They were so far off on the CG it was laughable. They should of spent the extra $2.00 and used a 40 amp ESC. And I think the prop selection wasn't real close to ideal. But it does fly nice if you were lucky enough to overcome the incorrect CG. The Carbon Z seems to fly well also. Just wish Horizon Hobby would spent a little more time on final design check out and a few dollars more on component selection.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:21 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
90 Posts
My first flight!

Finally got the maiden flight with my Yak 54!

The airplane flew beautifully! I was also happy with its 3D performance. It hanged on the prop nicely and was stable after I got comfortable with its throttle inputs. It handles high alpha maneuvers good as well, there was little wing rocking compared to some 3D planes I have flown.

The only negative so far…After 6 flights the motor mount cracked! I am going to replace it with one made of machined aircraft grade aluminum. Hopefully that will permanently solve the problem.

-I am also going to buy a larger battery; I am only getting 6 minutes max on the 2200.

Other than that, all looks good…. Hopefully this airplane will be in my fleet for a long time.
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:28 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
For good 3D I wouldnt go over a 2600. 3000s work but you really start feeling the weight
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:29 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,276 Posts
Did you replace the stock propeller before flying ?

You need to replace the stock prop with an APC 12x6E prop

the stock prop is way out of balance which causes the mount to crack.

Also 2200 lipo??

The stock lipo is 3200 Mah

Im using the Quanum telemetry unit from Hobby King which is a fuel gauge for the battery. With varying throttle I get over 6 minutes flight.
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
90 Posts
I checked the balance on my propeller and it appeared to be perfect, maybe I should check it again…

I have the PNP version, not the BNF one. That’s why I do not have the stock battery.
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:52 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Pilot View Post
I checked the balance on my propeller and it appeared to be perfect, maybe I should check it again…

I have the PNP version, not the BNF one. That’s why I do not have the stock battery.
You have to be sure the Hub is balanced. They usually are pretty close side to side. Put the prop vertical and see if it drops to one side. The stock props are usually way off that way. If it drops add weight to the top side of the hub. Best way for me is to add ca and hit it with kicker. Just keep adding a little at a time till it stays vertical. Make sure you check it both ways meaning one blade vertical on top then the other just to be sure. Even the Apc props need to be balanced this way but aren't off by nearly as much as the stock props are. I'm sure they eventually will run out of the really bad batch but either way they all need to be checked. Here is one of the Apc props that was a bit off.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:01 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Hub balancing is the way to go!!!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:15 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Hub balancing is the way to go!!!
Even with that I had vibration until I replaced the prop adapter. It wasn't bent as you would expect as it didn't wobble a bit. Just vibrated. Never did figure it out. I guess a prop adapter can be out of balance also. Anyway, the broken stock motor mount had a huge amount of grain and wasn't worthy of being a $10.00 plane. Also just replaced one of the servos with one from a T28 rudder servo which HH said was the Parkzone equivalent as the original didn't seem to be available.