HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:02 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
worked fine for general pattern, just a bit tail heavy. kept the speed up on approach and it was fine. least i have something to fly for a couple weeks still.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
worked fine for general pattern, just a bit tail heavy. kept the speed up on approach and it was fine. least i have something to fly for a couple weeks still.
A 3s 2000 battery was tail heavy? Wow I would have thought otherwise. I am surprised it got off the ground with a 12x6 prop.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:46 AM
United States, MI, Clarkston
Joined Apr 2007
78 Posts
Using gyros

Searched and read this forum on the use of gyros, but still need a little help.

With a two servo aileron type wing, do you need to use a separate gyro on each servo?

Can you use one gyro going through a 'mixer' and then to each servo? What type of mixer? Whose?

Can only one servo be controlled by a gyro? Will one controlled servo be effective? Will this type of system cause any problems?

Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help.
gritty is offline Find More Posts by gritty
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:50 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
A 3s 2000 battery was tail heavy? Wow I would have thought otherwise. I am surprised it got off the ground with a 12x6 prop.
Thing is on 4S, the model is extremely powerful, with a decent prop you are over 250W per lb, more than most of it's competition. On a 3S with an ideal prop around a 14X6-14X8 you should pull around 200 w per lb, still nothing to snease at, and on par with a lot of capable 3D planes. with a smaller 12X6, you may be down twards 150w per lb, probably close to 1:1 thrust ratio, so you might not have enough for 3D, but it still could do decent conventional aerobatics. There are plenty of decent aerobatic planes that used to run 100-150W per lb just a few years ago, we kinda lose sight of how insane a power setup the Yak actually has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritty View Post
Searched and read this forum on the use of gyros, but still need a little help.

With a two servo aileron type wing, do you need to use a separate gyro on each servo?

Can you use one gyro going through a 'mixer' and then to each servo? What type of mixer? Whose?

Can only one servo be controlled by a gyro? Will one controlled servo be effective? Will this type of system cause any problems?

Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help.
Most gyros align on a single axis, and have a single output. You would have to use a Y to both ailerons, use 2 separate gyros in order to set each servo up individually, or use a Futaba GYA351 with dual inputs and outputs on a single axis. Sore run gyros on a single aileron, but usually at low gain, and on faster models like EDFs to stabilize them in the wind. Problem is that you essentially get flapperon output, not just aileron output, so there is some affect on the pitch too. 2 separate gyros, or y-ing the ailerons is the better way to go for soething like the Yak.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
United States, MI, Clarkston
Joined Apr 2007
78 Posts
alucard0822, thank you for the response.

I will try the two gyro approach on the two aileron servos. Will look into the Futaba unit you mentioned, if it is not too expensive.
gritty is offline Find More Posts by gritty
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritty View Post
alucard0822, thank you for the response.

I will try the two gyro approach on the two aileron servos. Will look into the Futaba unit you mentioned, if it is not too expensive.
what are you trying to accomplish with the gyros? what do they do for a fixed wing?

Tony
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:34 PM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
I bent my motor shaft. Are these things universal, as in my hobby shop should have one that will work, or do I have to order the exact E-Flite part # online? Thanks!
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:43 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
considering the stock battery is 4s2800 and balances as reccomended, yes. a battery that is several oz less than stock is tail heavy
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:06 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonso View Post
what are you trying to accomplish with the gyros? what do they do for a fixed wing?

Tony
0 coupling, no KE mix needed, perfect trim, eliminates wing rock in a stall, and a plane flies like winds are steady, reguardless of gusts on any channel or channels a gyro is run to. At least that is what I use them for, and usually flip the gyros off for spins and snappy moves.. For this, very little gain is used, turn the gain up, and it can help co-ordinate rolls, you can get away with just using elevator for rolling harriers, and rolling circles. It makes even a twitchy plane feel very docile, roll over to KE, and the nose will gently drop until you add rudder instead of some planes dropping that nose like a rock. They won't hold a hands off harrier or hover, and they won't make up for skill, but they can help make moves easier to learn. The main proplem is that a rate gyro slows snap and response, for more experienced pilots it makes a plane feel sluggish, and if you already are decent at co-ordinating moves, it dulls the feel, snap rolls, walls, and waterfalls are far less dramatic if they can be done at all( a gyro fights autorotation). With an adjustable gyro, you can turn the gain up, down, or off from the TX, just have to make sure the plane is trimmed before calibrating the gyro on the ground before flight. Gyros can also add goofy handling charachteristics, a rudder gyro yaws a plane out of bank and yank turns, they are another electronic part to fail, and if not setup correctly(especially reversing the gyro correction, or not initializing them correctly) they can cause a crash, or make a plane feel out of trim if you increase the gain. If you use them in HH mode, you have to do more to control a plane, and counter the gyro's unwanted inputs. They can be fun and valuable to a new or experienced pilot, and inexpensive 3 axis setups are now available, just have to have the experience to know how to work with them, and not use them as a crutch to prevent learning correct inputs for moves.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:10 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
considering the stock battery is 4s2800 and balances as reccomended, yes. a battery that is several oz less than stock is tail heavy
Yeah I guess I was thinking the battery was @ or behind the CG. Sorry about all the poor assumptions lately. Guess Ill crawl back under my rock.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:44 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
All I see is that a gyro will slow your over all progression of skill. You will learn bad habbits of fightitng the gyros so when you fly a plane without one you will not be able to fly it right. Practice is all it takes
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
All I see is that a gyro will slow your over all progression of skill. You will learn bad habbits of fightitng the gyros so when you fly a plane without one you will not be able to fly it right. Practice is all it takes
...the truth...or just get a 3 channel plane
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:40 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Who needs those heavy, 4 cell batts? My motor's kv is 1130. Bout the same size as stock. Over 900 watts with a 12x6e apc. Much is being wasted to heat but I don't go WOT often. Plenty for hovering and my style of flying. Think I'm gonna switch back to a 13x4 for a little less amp draw and more thrust.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I have gyros in a couple planes, much less correction for wind gusts, and no coupling, so I can fly them more often, and in worse conditions. When setup correctly, and with low gain, you can barely tell they are doing anything, but the plane feels perfectly trimmed, mixed, no wing rock, and rolls stop in an instant. Most of my planes don't have gyros, and I often turn them off in the ones that do when I want to do spins and snaps, no real issues, no more or less difficulty or delayed learning going from one to the other. If anything they can help learn a bit as the plane flies more like a sim, you get the moves down, and after the confience from sucess and experience, you can fly the same move with or without the gyro.

It's kinda like flying a flybar vs flybarless heli, the flybarless tracks dead straight, holds it's pitch, isn't affected by trim, wind, or asymetric lift, makes moves much easier to learn. If you then fly a heli with a flybar, you feel it pitch back in FFF requiring you to hold some cyclic, pull to the right as the left side of the rotor disc heads into the direction of flight, and the right side loses lift from moving away, ballooning up with wind gusts, trim etc., but you have the skill and confidence to correct for the issues, fly decently well, and probably go right back to your flybarless. Thing is, flybarless helis with 3 axis gyros are generally accepted in the RC heli world, it's new technology that makes a model handle better, and fly more textbook, although there are probably some who think if a heli isn't powered by Nitro, and isn't sporting 72mhz radio and a mechanical rate gyro it's cheating.

There are already a couple specifically fixed wing gyros out, and a few planes from popular manufacturers that come with them stock, they will become more popular as time goes on, and the manufacturers figure out how to make them better for fixed wing use. Just part of the technological explosion the hobby is experiencing, and one day may be as common and accepted as 2.4, computer transmitters with expo, BNF and ARF models, LiPo packs, brushless motors, and a host of other innovations that give us more options.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006rfarmer View Post
Hobbypartz.com-- ValueHobby.com and alot of others have batt. in stock and at a resonable price!

+1 on hobbypartz...really likin the sky lipos

I have five 4S/40C 2650's and have been very pleased w/ cost & performance
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt