HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:42 AM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I believe you can gently heat the area if its crushed and it will swell up. You need to be very careful cause too much heat will destroy the foam. Please do this at your own risk and don't hollar at me if you have a problem. Imnot sure if the bowing is from beign crushed or not. I would bet you could also set the wing so it's propped up on either side of the bow and put weight on it for a few hrs or maybe overnight to help out with the bows. Good luck!
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:57 AM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
after seeing my mates kyosho red bull fly for the first time yesterday, i now fancy some 3d action
the eflite carbon z yak54 looks like a good plane.
my current planes that i fly are the PZ T28D & the F27Q Stryker.
Would this plane be out of my league? or would something like the parkzone extra 300 be more suited for me?
vygec is offline Find More Posts by vygec
Last edited by vygec; Aug 06, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:18 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vygec View Post
after seeing my mates kyosho red bull fly for the first time yesterday, i now fancy some 3d action
Would this plane be out of my league? or would something like the parkzone extra 300 be more suited for me?
You could handle aerobatics with it, but 3D is a whole nother ballgame. Get an outdoor EPP profile plane, and learn with that, hovering and harriers take a lot of quick corrections that a far more crash resistant profile plane can do a bit easier, once you are comfortable with the moves it can do, then you can work on doing those moves on the larger Yak, it's cheaper than a crash. I would suggest a twisted hobbies Extra slick without SFGs, it snaps better and floats less like most profile planes, and a bit more like a full fused plane, just smaller, more forgiving, and far more crash resistant.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:55 AM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
You could handle aerobatics with it, but 3D is a whole nother ballgame. Get an outdoor EPP profile plane, and learn with that, hovering and harriers take a lot of quick corrections that a far more crash resistant profile plane can do a bit easier, once you are comfortable with the moves it can do, then you can work on doing those moves on the larger Yak, it's cheaper than a crash. I would suggest a twisted hobbies Extra slick without SFGs, it snaps better and floats less like most profile planes, and a bit more like a full fused plane, just smaller, more forgiving, and far more crash resistant.
I agree. The CZ Yak is more of an aerobatic plan that is capable of 3D.

Also make sure you don't mind the fact that you're going to need to replace the stock servos and motor mount when you buy it. I'm up to 3 bad servos now, so I just went ahead and replaced the 4th one.
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:42 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Quote:
if you can fly those other two planes the CZ wouldnt be an issue for you to fly. The extra 300 I highly recommend against. That is a horrible flying plane. The CZ is a great aerobatic plane that will 3D but isnt really a 3D trainer. I would suggest somthing like this the epp foamies are a much better way to learn 3D. This one is one of the best I have flown and very well though out.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:43 AM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
thanks guys for the input, mistake on my part i used the wrong term!
i am in fact after an aerobatic plane (i just assumed that this was the same as 3D-obviously not)
considering this, is the carbon z still a good choice?
vygec is offline Find More Posts by vygec
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:02 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
For an upgrade from the planes you have. You know somthing a little more capable. Yes the CZ will be a great next plane.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:44 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
i am in fact after an aerobatic plane (i just assumed that this was the same as 3D-obviously not)
Aerobatics is such a general term, it includes scale loops and rolls that the Yak excells at, pattern sequences and spins it is also decent at, and post stall hovers and harriers that it is capable of, but doesn't excel at. It's a freestyle plane, it can do most manuvers, but some are easier or harder to do than other planes in it's class.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I believe you can gently heat the area if its crushed and it will swell up. You need to be very careful cause too much heat will destroy the foam. Please do this at your own risk and don't hollar at me if you have a problem. Imnot sure if the bowing is from beign crushed or not. I would bet you could also set the wing so it's propped up on either side of the bow and put weight on it for a few hrs or maybe overnight to help out with the bows. Good luck!
Thanks Nator - I will try putting some weight on the wings while they are upside down as you suggest. Using heat sounds like a risky deal. Darn, I'm disappointed that I can't blame you for any mishaps in this experiment.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:39 PM
Joined Apr 2009
668 Posts
Quote:
I was a bit intimidated when deciding on this plane, but what a pleasant surprise it has turned out to be. As an example, on low rates the roll outs and landings are smoother and easier than with the Electrostick I had been flying. On medium and high rates the Yak does snappy & wild aerobatic maneuvers that make you wonder how it holds together under such stress. Based on what you have been flying I think you will be fine. Another plus is how well this plane repairs from some major damage.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:22 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
crobar, if you can keep weight on it, you can blow the foam out & cause it to expand some using very hot water.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2009
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
crobar, if you can keep weight on it, you can blow the foam out & cause it to expand some using very hot water.
I could try that with the wing tip that is bent upward. I wonder if steam might work as well. I could hold the wing tip over boiling water and if it doesn't expand or straighten out I could quickly lay the wing upside down and put some weight on the backside to put pressure on the bent up area. I will be working on this tomorrow and post my results in the event there is any interest in this issue.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:04 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
To work with EPO you really do need heat, it holds together well, but crushes easily, and can warp. There is a very narrow temperature range that will pop out a crush, 10 degrees too cold, and nothing happens, 10 degrees too hot, and the beads start to swell, and make it look like crap. It's easier to heat it up to remove a warp on a thinner peice, just high temp on a hairdryer slowly and smoothly till you can just barely hold your fingers on the surface, then bend it and hold it till it cools. For crushed peices, a coffeemaker puts out water at just about a perfect 150-170 degrees, however, the foam expands slowly as heat penetrates into it(foam insulates well), so you can usually get better results making a pot of hot water on a coffee maker, putting it in a pan or pot, then laying the affected part in it, after a few minutes it expands back out, and looks fine. You can also lay a wet paper towel on large flat surfaces, and go over it with an iron. If you get something too hot, and the beads start to swell, immediately use a peice of ice, or a spoon in the freezer to gently smooth it, this can work on purpose if you need the foam to expand a lot from a bad crush. Worst case there is gorilla glue to fill and shape in stress prone areas, and lightweight spackling for small pits and holes not subjest to a lot of stress. For some peices you can actually cut a slot in a peice of foam, flex it open, add gorilla glue, and position it open just a hair as the glue foams and fills, this works well if you crush something like the ends of the wing saddle, and need it to expand out 1/4" or more, then re-shape it.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:10 PM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
I found the info regarding the Hitec servos that could be used as good replacements. Has anyone found a less expensive source or servo option? JJ
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:09 AM
Joined Apr 2009
668 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions regarding bent/warped areas on my wings. I can't really tell if the bent areas are having negative effects on the flight performance but I'm going to carefully try to work them out anyway. Will post results.