I would buy those:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11947
lthibault is offline Find More Posts by lthibault
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:23 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7weee View Post
I wouldn't use it. The C rating is only 20C where the stock battery is a 30C. Plus the plane will be super nose heavy.
Actually the C rating difference shouldn't matter, because the extra capacity of the larger battery pretty much makes up for the lower C rating.

20C * 4.0Ah = 80A max output
30C * 2.8Ah = 84A max output

I agree the extra weight of the larger battery will probably be an issue though.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:44 AM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Maybe this has been mentioned before, but when I opened up my new Yak 54 last night, I noticed the charger doesn't have a plug to charge it in the house. It has alligator clips. Is this standard on $400 planes? I really don't want to have to charge a $400 plane from my car battery. Does anyone know of a cheap way of getting this charger to work indoors?
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Most lipo chargers on the market take 12V input. The normal thing that most electric flyers do for charging at home is get a 12V power supply. You can get them from any LHS, Radio Shack or other electronics store, or just about any place online that sells chargers.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:49 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
The included charger is limited, only does a balance charge. You should get a computer charger, they are cheap and prevalent from most anywhere, some also have a dual power setup so you can plug it into the wall, or charge from a battery. They will tell you how many mah it put back in, can fast charge without balancing(takes about 1/2 the time of balance charging), and can put the batteries to a good storage voltage if you don't plan on using that battery for a week or more. I still use my BNF chargers though, built a power supply that uses a deep cycle marine battery, and has 4 lighter sockets and a pair of lugs. most of my chargers either came with, or I converted them to 12v lighter plugs, I can power 2 chargers in the field from my pickup, or bring the box, and run 5 chargers from that alone. Makes it really easy to keep flying with relaively few batteries, and I just plug the box into a car charger after I am done to recharge it, the deep cycle has 105Ah capacity, so it is plenty for a day or two worth of constantly charging batteries. I don't have to worry about killing my car battery, and it is portable, so I can have it with me on the line instead of running back and forth from my truck to the line, ended up costing about $50 for the box, sockets, wiring and voltage gauge, and another $60 for the battery.

I use this power supply with my Thunder 606 and T-680 chargers. The T-680 is an 80w charger and the power supply is only rated to 50w, so I only charge at 3A(with 4 cells) or less when hooked up to AC power, the 606 won't charge above 50w.

Name: CIMG0269.jpg
Views: 220
Size: 103.7 KB
Description:
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:52 PM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
309 Posts
This one should be good, a little less heavy with 35C. A few mm different from the Horizon battery, can someone advise about the battery compartment?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11950
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Feb 2006
20 Posts
They will fit OK. The compartment is big enough and has some fore/aft room so you can fiddle with the CG. But it flies nicer with a lighter pack such as a 2650 nano depending on your flying style.
Raysun is offline Find More Posts by Raysun
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:18 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysun View Post
They will fit OK. The compartment is big enough and has some fore/aft room so you can fiddle with the CG. But it flies nicer with a lighter pack such as a 2650 nano depending on your flying style.
I ended up using two sets of batteries in mine, 3,000mah 30C Sky Lipos, and 2650mah 25C nanotechs, both pushed all the way to the rear of the compartment, there is about a 3oz difference in weight(nanotechs are 1.5oz lighter than stock, Skys are 1.5oz heavier. With the big batteries, I get 8 minutes with lots of full throttle flying, it's just a hair nose heavy, but the extra weight or CG make spins hold a bit better, it is a bit more stable in the wind, and fast aerobatics are a bit easier. The lighter nanotechs put the CG about perfect, maybe just a hair tail heavy, nice stable harriers, hovers, and slow 3D stuff, they last about 6 minutes with most of the flight around 1/2 throttle, including hovering, they are capable of keeping up with the motor well as they are rated to 66A continuous, and higher in bursts. It's kinda like the PKZ Extra 300 in that way, minor CG differences makes a huge difference in handling, I had the nanotechs, but got 4 of the Sky lipos, and have been happy with them.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:27 PM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
I ended up using two sets of batteries in mine, 3,000mah 30C Sky Lipos, and 2650mah 25C nanotechs, both pushed all the way to the rear of the compartment, there is about a 3oz difference in weight(nanotechs are 1.5oz lighter than stock, Skys are 1.5oz heavier. With the big batteries, I get 8 minutes with lots of full throttle flying, it's just a hair nose heavy, but the extra weight or CG make spins hold a bit better, it is a bit more stable in the wind, and fast aerobatics are a bit easier. The lighter nanotechs put the CG about perfect, maybe just a hair tail heavy, nice stable harriers, hovers, and slow 3D stuff, they last about 6 minutes with most of the flight around 1/2 throttle, including hovering, they are capable of keeping up with the motor well as they are rated to 66A continuous, and higher in bursts. It's kinda like the PKZ Extra 300 in that way, minor CG differences makes a huge difference in handling, I had the nanotechs, but got 4 of the Sky lipos, and have been happy with them.

Great feedback. My conclusion is that I will order both type of lipos depending on the type of flying I'd like to do
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
309 Posts
This will be my choice for 3D: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11947
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:34 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthibault View Post
Great feedback. My conclusion is that I will order both type of lipos depending on the type of flying I'd like to do
Last night I carved the battery bay about 1/2" deeper, and now the 3Ah batteries pushed all the way back give the correct CG, still has the extra weight and capacity, and I can still set them a bit forward for better stability in the wind. Hopefully I can fly on saturday, and see how it does. Moving the batteries the extra 1/2" rearward seems to move CG about 1/4" compared to butting them up aggainst the rear of the unmodified battery compartent.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:42 PM
How do YOU hold your wings on?
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
want to hear NON vendor stories about Carbon Z Yak 54

Has anyone got some stories about their purchase of a Yak 54 carbon Z plane?

They look great but in the video it looks like it lands fast and if you didnt it would stall easily. IS this the case?
jasonbadboy is offline Find More Posts by jasonbadboy
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:53 PM
How do YOU hold your wings on?
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Has anyone bought one yet???????
jasonbadboy is offline Find More Posts by jasonbadboy
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbadboy View Post
Has anyone got some stories about their purchase of a Yak 54 carbon Z plane?

They look great but in the video it looks like it lands fast and if you didnt it would stall easily. IS this the case?

Come on over to the main thread!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322537
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich