HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:17 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
I am curious about trying the E-flite power 25 1250kv and have a couple questions. The data sheet suggests props in the 8x6 - 8x8 range for this motor with a 4s battery. These seem like tiny props for a plane like this. Will this motor and these size props actually work for the C-Z?
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:46 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
I am curious about trying the E-flite power 25 1250kv and have a couple questions. The data sheet suggests props in the 8x6 - 8x8 range for this motor with a 4s battery. These seem like tiny props for a plane like this. Will this motor and these size props actually work for the C-Z?
Too high a KV. It's more for fast sport and pylon planes trying for 100+MPH. Might be a viable option for a light weight 3S setup on the Yak, but not 4S.

The 870KV version could work, but you would need a bigger prop, 13X8 or 14X6 perhaps, which may give better performance than even the stock, although the stock power setup is hard to beat, around 1,000W with a 12X6 or 13X4 in a plane less than 4lbs is rare outside of hotrodded ARFs.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:29 AM
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Too high a KV. It's more for fast sport and pylon planes trying for 100+MPH. Might be a viable option for a light weight 3S setup on the Yak, but not 4S.

The 870KV version could work, but you would need a bigger prop, 13X8 or 14X6 perhaps, which may give better performance than even the stock, although the stock power setup is hard to beat, around 1,000W with a 12X6 or 13X4 in a plane less than 4lbs is rare outside of hotrodded ARFs.
Okay - I was thinking that even though the prop would be smaller on the 1250kv motor the higher rpm might make up for the larger prop at a slower rpm on the stock motor.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:01 AM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
380 Posts
A 4S 2650 battery with that 1250kv motor and 8x8 prop last about 3 minutes on an Eflight Pogo.

Stock motor is plenty sporty, just change to slightly smaller prop for more speed. If you want even more speed, perhaps try motors in the 40-size range such as the Power 46 on 5S.

It'll be heavy though...
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:51 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,735 Posts
Wing glue question

I bought a slightly used carbon z last week which had been crunched once, but fixed - only had cracked fuse. Anyway, I noticed that the wings will move in and out a bit if you pull on them. They don't seem to flex, just that you can pull them outward a bit. Screws are tight - does anyone put a bit of hot glue or something else on the wing to fuselage joint? On other foam planes from parkzone and eflight this seems to be the normal thing to do for guys in my area. Just seems to make things more secure.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
Been having great flights but harrier landing that ended up in tall grass oddly tore the left tail off (must have snagged a twig I guess). Being able to buy just the part I need was awesome! Back in the air the same day!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:51 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Been having great flights but harrier landing that ended up in tall grass oddly tore the left tail off (must have snagged a twig I guess). Being able to buy just the part I need was awesome! Back in the air the same day!
Keep in mind it's not the trailing edge of the elvator that catches the ground and rips it, but rather the leading edge of the counter balances which point forward and straight towards the ground when you pull up on the elevator (the exact state when performing a harrier landing).

So... the more throw you have on your eleveator, the lower those counter balances will go when you pull up to perform a harrier landing. And because that part points into the planes motion (and not away from it), it will just get snagged by the ground as apposed to just rubbing along(hence it will rip right off).
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:55 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
That makes sense! Thanks!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:22 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
The younger on these two claims that it is really hard to land - any comment on this?
Clear case of IP or PE (Inexperienced pilot or pilot error)
the plane is easy to land. it's stable, has a low stall speed and has more than enough engine to induce a torque roll AND more than enough positive control for pilots to over-correct.
  • you can fly it down on it's mains with a rollout & it'll last forever
  • fly it down & cut power before ground effect for a 3 point landing and maybe knick a random prop on asphalt now & then
  • or you can do high alpha landings and eventually break it, like every other airframe out there
they key to flying it is recognizing what it is.
IT IS NOT A FLAT PLATE FOAMY WITH PISS FOR A WING LOADING
It flies exactly like a real sport plane in this class size (or one two classes bigger) with a real wing loading. PILOT ERROR IS NOT HIDDEN BY A EXTREMELY LOW WING LOADINGS TYPICAL OF FOAM AIRCRAFT.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:46 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
It happens easily, I put a 1.25" tailwheel on mine, and bent the wire to raise the tail about an inch, then put packing tape across the trailing edges of the H-stab and rudder, so far so good, hasn't ripped off since, and it protects the tail better for harrier landings and taildrags.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:08 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
It happens easily, I put a 1.25" tailwheel on mine, and bent the wire to raise the tail about an inch, then put packing tape across the trailing edges of the H-stab and rudder, so far so good, hasn't ripped off since, and it protects the tail better for harrier landings and taildrags.
I wonder... does the same thing happen to other 3D planes? Planes like the 3DHS 42 Slick and 41 Edge.
I'm asking because I've bought a 41 Edge and would like to know if I'll run into a simlar issue. Or is the design different so that the elevator edges don't reach the ground?
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:31 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
I wonder... does the same thing happen to other 3D planes? Planes like the 3DHS 42 Slick and 41 Edge.
I'm asking because I've bought a 41 Edge and would like to know if I'll run into a simlar issue. Or is the design different so that the elevator edges don't reach the ground?
I think it's pretty dependent on the stance of the plane. It's very common for 3d planes to have counterbalance on the elevators. Whether or not they rub the grass is a matter of how high the plane sits off the ground and how high the tail stabs are in the fuselage. I have a 3dhs 47" extra shp and the back of the elevator hits the ground when I push it all the way down on high rates but yet doesn't hit the counterbalance when I do full up.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:58 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
the 41 edge doesnt really have an issue of the counter balance breaking but the 42 slick is built a bit lighter back there and I have folded the counter balace back a few times when hitting it on the ground when turning in a harrier while draging the rudder. Though the 42 slick 3D much better than the 41 edge(so its worth it to me)
Though a bigger 48edge by 3dhs has a airfoiled tail which is much much stronger and you would really have to hit somthing solid to break it.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:25 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I think it's pretty dependent on the stance of the plane. It's very common for 3d planes to have counterbalance on the elevators. Whether or not they rub the grass is a matter of how high the plane sits off the ground and how high the tail stabs are in the fuselage. I have a 3dhs 47" extra shp and the back of the elevator hits the ground when I push it all the way down on high rates but yet doesn't hit the counterbalance when I do full up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
the 41 edge doesnt really have an issue of the counter balance breaking but the 42 slick is built a bit lighter back there and I have folded the counter balace back a few times when hitting it on the ground when turning in a harrier while draging the rudder. Though the 42 slick 3D much better than the 41 edge(so its worth it to me)
Though a bigger 48edge by 3dhs has a airfoiled tail which is much much stronger and you would really have to hit somthing solid to break it.
Thanks for the info fellas. That's what I was thinking, just a matter of design and how high it is off the ground. Hopefully it wont be an issue.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:27 AM
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
Good discussion. Now, getting down to issues that apply to less skilled fliers that have more serious wrecks and damage, I have a bow in one wing and the forward tip on the other is bent upward. What is the best method on this plane for removing crash warps?