HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
964 Posts
alucard0822

alucard0822, I agree with you, the APC 13X4 E is my favorite prop on the CZ YAK-54. Question. What Xoar prop would you use? I've heard that due to the efficiency of the Xoar props, you need to reduce the size (I assume diameter) by one inch..
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:52 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr View Post
alucard0822, I agree with you, the APC 13X4 E is my favorite prop on the CZ YAK-54. Question. What Xoar prop would you use? I've heard that due to the efficiency of the Xoar props, you need to reduce the size (I assume diameter) by one inch..
Not really, they are lighter than APC, spool faster, and usually achieve higher RPM for the same diameter/pitch, sometimes with a bit more static thrust. Usually if you make a change for Xoar vs APC e-props, it is a little steeper pitch for the Xoar with the same diameter. The only downsides is that the APCs seem to unload a bit more at top end, and can get a hair bit higher top speed sometimes, they are also far more durable and flexible, and hold up to bumps and noseovers far better, they stay in one peice when a Xoar would splinter.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
This is kind of interesting. Looking at some replacement parts for my beat up CZ it would seem that either the factory did not produce as many right wing panels (EFL1008001), or this is the wing most people replace.

Out of stock most everywhere.

Odd. You would think left and right panels would be subject to an even distribution and demand.

Maybe most fly clockwise and crash right wing down most the time....one of the great mysteries of our time :-)
I'm looking for a right wing if anyone has one for sale :-)
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:55 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
I think I saw a main hobbies had them.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
My Yak 54 Maiden Flight

I bought a new Yak 54 Carbon Z (BNF) about 2 weeks ago and spent some time prepping it according to many suggestions on this thread. (I also finally learned how to balance a prop!) I took it out this morning for the first time. I had a ball! What a nice plane. I will be keeping a close eye on it before each flight. Thanks to everyone for all of the tips and experience that has been shared. If anything odd happens, I will be sure to let it be known. Im looking forward to another successful flight tomorrow morning. Thanks again!
Mundy is offline Find More Posts by Mundy
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:29 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundy View Post
I bought a new Yak 54 Carbon Z (BNF) about 2 weeks ago and spent some time prepping it according to many suggestions on this thread. (I also finally learned how to balance a prop!) I took it out this morning for the first time. I had a ball! What a nice plane. I will be keeping a close eye on it before each flight. Thanks to everyone for all of the tips and experience that has been shared. If anything odd happens, I will be sure to let it be known. Im looking forward to another successful flight tomorrow morning. Thanks again!
Congrats. It really is a great flying plane. I was very upset when I got mine cause I had a few of the known issues with it but aside from that it is a treat to fly.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:05 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Next Carbon-Z airframe?

Now that many of the problems with the Carbon-Z Yak 54 are known, what is the next Carbon-Z airframe that HH will produce? An Edge, Extra, or Slick seems appropriate for the high performance image.

Let's hope that the next Carbon-Z airframe does not have the QC and production issues of the Carbon-Z Yak 54. QQ put in too much work to have his brainchild suffer from shoddy production.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,997 Posts
Id like to see a couple more carbon z designs. A carbon z pattern ship with the current setup as the yak 54 would work.. the wingloading and power system of the carbon z yak would be very nice in a similar or larger size pattern plane made of z foam at a similar price point. On the 3d side,lower kv outrunner,bigger prop,and id sacrifice durability for a more floaty plane,an sbach,slick 540 or edge would be nice.. or even go retro and a nice laser 200 or carbon z eratix? Who knows.. maybe development already started on the next carbon z and it will surpass the current carbon-z yak's flight performance all around.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Id like to see a couple more carbon z designs. A carbon z pattern ship with the current setup as the yak 54 would work.. the wingloading and power system of the carbon z yak would be very nice in a similar or larger size pattern plane made of z foam at a similar price point. On the 3d side,lower kv outrunner,bigger prop,and id sacrifice durability for a more floaty plane,an sbach,slick 540 or edge would be nice.. or even go retro and a nice laser 200 or carbon z eratix? Who knows.. maybe development already started on the next carbon z and it will surpass the current carbon-z yak's flight performance all around.
Yes, a Carbon-Z pattern/precision airframe that could also double as a great sport flier would fit the bill.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:13 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Carbon Z Beast, about the same size, agreed with the lower KV motor to spin a bigger prop. As long as they stick to a 4s setup, it should be nice.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
3D Want2B
United States, NC, Asheboro
Joined May 2011
49 Posts
If HH produces a Carbon Z Edge, Extra, Sbach, or Beast, I'll be clicking the "PRE-ORDER" button with a quickness

I was just discussing this in the LHS last week. PLEASE HH!!!!
THEAUTOPICASSO is offline Find More Posts by THEAUTOPICASSO
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
Any recommendations for upgraded landing gear?
kola is offline Find More Posts by kola
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:33 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kola View Post
Any recommendations for upgraded landing gear?

I ve bent mine to make it taller. it takes several bends to make everything square again once you do this but it is well worth it. all the others that have this plane have done it too after they saw my results. It looks better cause its sitting right and the prop is the proper clearance off the ground now.
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:10 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonso View Post
I ve bent mine to make it taller. it takes several bends to make everything square again once you do this but it is well worth it. all the others that have this plane have done it too after they saw my results. It looks better cause its sitting right and the prop is the proper clearance off the ground now.
Any pictures? or maybe more details? Thanks
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
Bad control Arms - Another reason for inflight failure

Please see the video I posted on YouTube

Yak-54 Carbon Z defect problem control rod clsvis (0 min 48 sec)

During a flight we lost a canopy (Bad glue) and made a provisional landing. The plane had some issues with directional control which we thought may have been some aerodynamic issues with loss of the canopy. To our chagrin, when we examined the plane on the ground it became apparent that the rudder control arm became separated from the clavis. Apparently, the plastic threads on the clavis could not contain the metal threads of the control arm and became stripped. I wonder if similar problems may be causing uncontrolled flight into the ground if this happens with ailerons or elevators. Thoughts?
Atomicglow is offline Find More Posts by Atomicglow