SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
I am trying to narrow down lipos that would work in a couple other planes... would a 4S 4000 mAh be too large/heavy for the CZ Yak?
While I'm sure it would fly, the plane is already on the porky side with the stock battery. The more weight you add, the less fun it will be to do 3D flying with it. If you just want to do high speed sport flying with it they'll probably work fine assuming they physically fit in the plane.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:52 AM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
642 Posts
"Best of all, you can have this Bind-N-Fly® version flying in as little time as it takes to charge its battery and bind the receiver to a full-range DSM2 aircraft transmitter. To get the most from the Carbon-Z Yak 54, a programmable DSM2 aircraft transmitter with dual rates and exponential function is recommended."

Well... half an hour to get the wings in (very poor fit) does not meet the above description. Quality would be fine for a $69.99 plane but not at this price. Very disappointed!
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:11 AM
Joined Apr 2010
129 Posts
I have a Stinson which flies fine in my park. Would the Yak be ok for my park, is it much louder/and/or bigger than a stinson?
thetechnorat is offline Find More Posts by thetechnorat
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:24 PM
The loose nut behind the TX
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Littleoak - It was nice to read your review of the CarbonZ...especially seeing your comparizon to similar size 3DHS planes...looking for something more durable to huck with while my 3DHS 41 Edge is on the bench for repair and it looks like this will fill that requirement.

Also nice that if the event something does get broken...just glue it back on.
JeffSchre is offline Find More Posts by JeffSchre
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:50 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSchre View Post
Littleoak - It was nice to read your review of the CarbonZ...especially seeing your comparizon to similar size 3DHS planes...looking for something more durable to huck with while my 3DHS 41 Edge is on the bench for repair and it looks like this will fill that requirement.

Also nice that if the event something does get broken...just glue it back on.
Thanks for the reply. I flew the Carbon Z Yak this morning again, 4 flights. Still flies very well. It does handle very similar to my 47" Extra SR. A little less floaty and a little more aggressive, but that the closest plane to the CZ Yak in my hangar. It locks into hovers better than the Extra. Hope you enjoy yours. I'll keep posting and issues I come across, and positives too!
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:58 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnorat View Post
I have a Stinson which flies fine in my park. Would the Yak be ok for my park, is it much louder/and/or bigger than a stinson?
I have a Stinson too, and you can actually fly the Yak in a smaller space than the Stinson, due to the higher maneuverability. So you should be good. Be ready for the next level of flight though, it's a big step up. Keep the rates turned down to low if this is your first 3D capable plane. Good luck.
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Apr 2010
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
I have a Stinson too, and you can actually fly the Yak in a smaller space than the Stinson, due to the higher maneuverability. So you should be good. Be ready for the next level of flight though, it's a big step up. Keep the rates turned down to low if this is your first 3D capable plane. Good luck.
Thanks for that!
thetechnorat is offline Find More Posts by thetechnorat
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:39 PM
USA, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
89 Posts
Oh, FWIW a 12x8 prop pulls 89A at WOT.

Using a 4s 3300, 30C pack.
Flatusboy is offline Find More Posts by Flatusboy
Last edited by Flatusboy; Jan 04, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:18 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
While I'm sure it would fly, the plane is already on the porky side with the stock battery. The more weight you add, the less fun it will be to do 3D flying with it. If you just want to do high speed sport flying with it they'll probably work fine assuming they physically fit in the plane.
There's a guy at our club flying this with 2200mah 4S packs. I got some time on the sticks and it flew very nicely. He was doing about 6 mins of easy flying. I would try to go as light as possible on the packs.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Feb 2006
20 Posts
Light is good

I'm flying mine with 2650 nanotechs. Flys nicer than if I use a 3300 from my Habu. The 2650's give me around 6 minutes with a fair bit of vertical uplines.
Raysun is offline Find More Posts by Raysun
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:36 AM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
E-flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 (2 min 24 sec)

Man that thing is responsive! Too bad its $400
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:45 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZUlMmfDM4

Man that thing is responsive! Too bad its $400
The PnP version is $300. Seems like a pretty reasonable price for a ready built plane this size with servos, motor and ESC already installed. The only way you'll get a cheaper plane is buying straight from Hong Kong.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:18 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
My two semi local shops sell most stuff below Horizon's price. It pays to shop around.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:21 PM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
286 Posts
Thanks for the information so far. I'm picking up this kit next week at my LHS.

I'd like to use my 4000mha 4S packs from HC: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9364

What do you think, any risks or possibility that it will be nose heavy etc.
lthibault is offline Find More Posts by lthibault
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:26 AM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthibault View Post
Thanks for the information so far. I'm picking up this kit next week at my LHS.

I'd like to use my 4000mha 4S packs from HC: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9364

What do you think, any risks or possibility that it will be nose heavy etc.
I wouldn't use it. The C rating is only 20C where the stock battery is a 30C. Plus the plane will be super nose heavy.
rx7weee is offline Find More Posts by rx7weee