HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:12 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Discussion
Zacki Elapor glue?

The Multiplex Fun Cub kit recommends Zacki Elapor 20g and Zacki Elapor 10g.
Apparently these are medium CA glues. Can anyone recommend a glue that I can buy in the US that is equivalent to these glues? Also what is the difference between the 20g and 10g? Thanks in advance.

John
jbartley1130 is offline Find More Posts by jbartley1130
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:15 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
There is only once choice in my book:

BSI Insta Set +.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
I used BSI(Bob smith industries) Medium CA and kicker for every step of my FunCub build...very happy with the results! I was a little leary using CA on the control horns but after 50-75 flights everything is holding up GREAT!
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:29 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
This appears to be an accelerator. I do have some epoxy glue. Is this the same as Zacki? I apologize that I do not know much about different glues and the properties of them. I asked for help at my local hobby store, and the guy was very technical in his response. Apparently some glues will melt certain foams. Is BSI insta set an actual glue type? Where is the best place you all have found to buy this glue and more broadly, the best site to buy servos/motors/ect? Thanks again!
jbartley1130 is offline Find More Posts by jbartley1130
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:26 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
Ahh, I knew something was fishy about my post lol. What you should be looking for is [b]insta-cure+[\b]. It is in a purple bottle, usually with the hobby shop label up on top in the big blank spot.

Insta set is the kicker which will accelerate the drying process of the CA.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:46 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
This appears to be an accelerator. I do have some epoxy glue. Is this the same as Zacki? I apologize that I do not know much about different glues and the properties of them. I asked for help at my local hobby store, and the guy was very technical in his response. Apparently some glues will melt certain foams. Is BSI insta set an actual glue type? Where is the best place you all have found to buy this glue and more broadly, the best site to buy servos/motors/ect? Thanks again!

From what I understand epoxy does NOT bond Elapor(multiplex Foam) very well... all though I have not tried myself.

Zacki Elapor is just the name Multiplex uses for MEDIUM CA as I understand it... it's is NOTHING like epoxy.

Elapor is fine with regular CA, again, As I understand it Foam Safe CA does NOT work well and is simply NOT needed on Elapor. I have read that some experienced problems with Zap brand Kicker bubbling the Elapor... I had no such issues with the Bob Smith industries(BSI) brand kicker.

BSI brand adhesives are found at many hobby shops... it will usually have a "house brand label" like Hobby Town for instance but it will also say BSI industries on the bottle. I've also had good luck with Mercury brand CA but I didn't use it on my FunCub build.

Go through the FunCub thread for motor/ servo combo's... I used Hitec 82's on the rudder elevator, Hitec 65's on ailerons and Hitec 55's for flap's... motor now is a E-flight power 10( was a Park 480) with a 40A ESC/ Castle creation's BEC running 2200Mah 3's lipo's.
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:19 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
Epoxies, PU glues, and foam safe materials all won't work on Elapor unless you prepare the surface properly by sanding it up well enough for the glue to wick in.

All of that hassle can be eliminated by using regular CA.