HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Discussion
hk F-14 at USA warehouse

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=14900

Hey all anyone try this f-14 yet? HK has a few jets at their new us warehouse and i was thinking of giving them a shot for such a cheap price. Just was wondering if anyone had any experience with this jet in terms of motor selection and such. Im still new to electrics and dont know the best selection of components.
Orangehat44 is offline Find More Posts by Orangehat44
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:33 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,501 Posts
You're kidding right?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065988

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068584

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278967

Among others. Try the ALL NEW 'search' feature.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
171 Posts
I'm not sure any of those links are exactly the HK version.

For that price, I would HIGHLY doubt they come with air retracts.
MrEvoMan is offline Find More Posts by MrEvoMan
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:47 PM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
it doesnt come with retracts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
this one is a bare bones 80$ swing wing tailerons, not the banana hobby one with all the bells and whistles.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:51 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,182 Posts
I have this plane from HK and it is the EXACT same plane as the above links, just no retracts. The fixed gear on this stink so plan on an immediate replacement. I got mine from their Hong Kong warehouse and it took about a week to get here. I've been really happy with mine, it's super fast with the 5 blade on a 4s setup with cheaters above and behind the wing. Lands super easy too.

Good Luck,
-swps
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
I have this plane from HK and it is the EXACT same plane as the above links, just no retracts. The fixed gear on this stink so plan on an immediate replacement. I got mine from their Hong Kong warehouse and it took about a week to get here. I've been really happy with mine, it's super fast with the 5 blade on a 4s setup with cheaters above and behind the wing. Lands super easy too.

Good Luck,
-swps
So, just the tail surfaces move? No real ailerons?
MrEvoMan is offline Find More Posts by MrEvoMan
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:29 PM
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvoMan View Post
You can do aileron's if you want as there are places for the servos and control horns, etc but they do not come pre-cut. If you read all the pages on the above threads like I did, the aileron's don't work very well with the wings swept back. Trust me when I say, it will roll like crazy with just tailerons. With the wing in the full un-swept position, the tailerons work fine as well.

-swps
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
what motor esc setup did you use? im not great with component selection. So its the same as the banana hobbies plane so you feasibly could mod retracts? is it hand launchable for no gear. How hard is an aileron mod? any other decent mods?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:24 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvoMan View Post
The real one didn't have ailerons either.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:45 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
The real one didn't have ailerons either.
Correct!
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:40 AM
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangehat44 View Post
what motor esc setup did you use? im not great with component selection. So its the same as the banana hobbies plane so you feasibly could mod retracts? is it hand launchable for no gear. How hard is an aileron mod? any other decent mods?
I used 4800kv Exceed RC motors with 60 Amps ESCs. I've run it with both 3s and 4s and it fly great with both but really moves with 4s.

Since the kit is the same as the BH version, it has all the molded parts for either fixed gear, retracts or no gear. I went fixed gear, and like I said they are some of the worse gear I've ever come across. If I were to do it again, I'd get a set of electric retracts from X-Flight or HK and put those in. I'd skip air retracts, but it's completely ready for them if you wanted.

I think on 4s this plane has plenty of power for a hand launch, it doesn't have anywhere to grip so you'd need to mod it. I think The Don did that and it worked fine until his went down.

Aileron mod is SUPER easy. There are already pockets for the servos and all you'd need to do is cut the sides of the ailerons out and tape the seams or cut the whole aileron out and hinge it. There are no channels for aileron wires so you'd need to cut those out on your own and also route the wires on your own through the wing box. I serious thought about it, but after flying it without, I would skip ailerons.

As for other mods. There is a good one out there to make the rear portion removeable to have access to the ESCs and EDFs. I didn't do it.

You want to add cheaters to the top area behind the wing.

The other mod is to add a lip to the wing box hatch to hold it down. The stock setup will not stay put and will come off in flight.

Good Luck!

-swps
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
how do you do the cheater holes? where do you get the motors and esc's from? hk?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangehat44 View Post
how do you do the cheater holes? where do you get the motors and esc's from? hk?
There is a space behind the wing when it is sweapt that sits right on top of the ducting. Exacto knife in at an angle in the shape of that space (on the gray verion that space is painted black) and create a nice opening for air to get in. Others put cheaters on the bottom inside of each nacelle, but I saw reports that it was sucking the planes to the ground and taking away lift.

I got the motors from HobbyPartz.com and I used HobbyKing SS ESCs with a Turnigy 5A uBEC. I'm using 3300mh Turnigy Nano battery packs with it and it balances perfectly.

-swps
Old Oct 14, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
thanks for all the tips swps, Im new to twins, is setting up dual motors and such explained well with the instructions. Im newer to electrics use to glow, so for this you have 2 batteries 2 motors obviously 2 esc's. and a single ubec?

Also the space for the cheaters is there when the wings are swept back into delta right? (just for clarity)