SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypilot View Post
Well that oneís not shabby either. Iím going to try my hand at it. You guys are really turning out some great looking ships. Iím interested in this Lozenge pattern printing that UNGN has been talking about. So many models So little time. Jim
I still need to work on it. When I matched it to the wing, the B/P wings are different from the Models... different rib count, different wing tip, so I'm going to make it match the models wings, even if it isn't quite scale.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:24 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
That makes since! It will almost have to match the model or getting it all lined up would be a bugger. Have you done much of this decal printing? I have been looking at a laser printer, but dang the toner cartridges are pretty steep. I still think this is going to be my next major purchase, just endless on what you could make. Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:24 PM
NC
Joined Nov 2008
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I still need to work on it. When I matched it to the wing, the B/P wings are different from the Models... different rib count, different wing tip, so I'm going to make it match the models wings, even if it isn't quite scale.
I was going to do this for the lower wing: Print this lozenge and cut to fit, then scale the cross and print on a white decal sheet.
TurnerVoss is offline Find More Posts by TurnerVoss
Last edited by TurnerVoss; Nov 07, 2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Fixed lozenge pattern
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:29 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
I seen a set of wings, that looked amazing. I can't say much about it. I don't want to spoil his debut. It's coming though.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:35 PM
NC
Joined Nov 2008
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli5539 View Post
Thought I would post these here

Attachment 3570383
Nice! Did you paint over top of the existing or soak the foam in alcohol?
TurnerVoss is offline Find More Posts by TurnerVoss
Old Nov 01, 2010, 09:30 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Here's a word version of Wing lozenge pattern that was made from a DVa blueprint, just not this DVa's blueprint. My PDF is slightly scaling it, though I said no scaling.

The Wingtip would need to be trimmed for it to work.

Lozenge/Cross pattern is based on the Smithsonian plane, with the colors roughed from Replica DVa's.
Last edited by UNGN; Nov 01, 2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 09:33 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerVoss View Post
I was going to do this for the lower wing: Print this lozenge and cut to fit, then scale the cross and print on a white decal sheet.
The Lozenge patterns run Leading edge to trailing edge, with with adjacent sheets flipped 180 degrees. Only Fuselages and Ailerons had the pattern running length wise with the sheet.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 01:23 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypilot View Post
I have been looking at a laser printer, but dang the toner cartridges are pretty steep.
Jim,

Don't know if you have Sam's Club up there, but here in FL they are selling the HP CP1215 Color Laserjet for $150 - pretty amazing price. The output on decal paper is outstanding! You just have to smile and swallow the cartridge costs - be happy!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Nov 02, 2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 04:45 AM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerVoss View Post
Nice! Did you paint over top of the existing or soak the foam in alcohol?
One I removed all the paint and the other I just painted over. From my stand point I did not notice much of a change in flight time.
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:32 AM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Thanks Gene, I'll go look tonight. Jim
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:35 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Look into toner costs and what you get for your money. Someone told me to do so and I ended up paying a bit more for a Brother but my long term cost shrank a ton.

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:11 AM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Thanks DJ, I've been looking around! You like the Brother? Sean's an HP man, How do you get along? You still up for the trade we talked about? Jim
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:30 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
Look into toner costs and what you get for your money. Someone told me to do so and I ended up paying a bit more for a Brother but my long term cost shrank a ton.
Your cost shrank using the Brother compared to what? Another laser, inkjet,...?

Here's a link
to an older article (which doesn't compare specific models or color/mono) that says, in part:

An HP laser printer with an estimated machine cost of $400, combined with a $115 toner cartridge, yields 8000 pages. Printing 40,000 pages costs you $400 plus $460 for the ink for a total of $860. A Brother 1440 laser printer works out at about $930 for the same number of pages. That comes to around two cents a page, or eight times less than an inkjet printer.
UNQUOTE

I never owned a Brother machine, but it certainly doesn't appear in any comparison of "Top Ten xxxs" that I've seen). On the other hand, I've always had great results with HP printers especially the bargain CP1215 that I picked up only two weeks ago (limited use, but WOW so far).

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:31 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Sean seems to like the decals I've been feeding him. Yes we are.

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:16 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
Sean seems to like the decals I've been feeding him. Yes we are.

DJ
Dave,

are you using Decal paper? Are there any issues with shinkage distorting the wings?