SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:50 PM
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
That doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Before I bought my Micro Stik, I posted a question on this forum asking which would be a better gymnasium flier - the Champ or Playmate. Reading the Playmate is more relaxing than the MS is definitely food for thought. For flying in the confines of a gym, can the Playmate fly as slowly & turn as sharp as the MS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Should you wish to go with one of the FlyZone micros, I would recomment your first one be the Playmate. Easy but quick when flying indoors (large gynmasium, NOT your living room), and a great flyer outdoors in calm to trace wind conditions.
<SNIP>
FWIW: I have the eRc Micro Stik. It's a high strung Ember on steroids, quite elevator sensitive. The Playmate is much more relaxing to fly, IMHO.
bluesman77 is offline Find More Posts by bluesman77
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:46 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman77 View Post
For flying in the confines of a gym, can the Playmate fly as slowly & turn as sharp as the MS?
The Micro Stik is, by virture of the larger elevator and rudder, more maneuverable, IMHO. If you REALLY want it to turn on a dime and in-side loop within it's own length, you can relocate the control rods to a closer-in hole in the control horns. However, this will, IMHO, make the plane difficult to fly smoothly, especially for someone new to fixed wing RC. Why? Because the transmitter supplied with the plane has lesser resolution in the control inputs than better transmitters. Hence, the slightest movement of the aileron/elevator stick will result in a notable movement of the aileron or rudder. There is no dual rate or exponential possible with the supplied transmitter. Thus, a plane that can be "twitchey". The Playmate (latest version, blue & white, with Any Link electronics) will benefit by being controlled with a better transmitter, such as the DX6i, assuming you have one or something similar. The Playmate's servos are not exactly high resolution, but when linked to a better transmitter, the plane can be flown very smoothly. The original Playmate (red & white) came with a typical "game controller" transmitter, not very good resolution in control inputs, but still easy to fly rather smoothly. I have both the original Playmate and the MicroStik. Will be flying both indoors this coming Tuesday. I like them both, but the Playmate is really more graceful in flight, and yes, needs just a little more room. I have found both are fairly quick indoors, much quicker than the standard Vapor, the Night Vapor, Embers, about the same speed as the UM J-3 Cub and HZ Champ. FWIW

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Thanks Doug - that's what I needed to know. Maybe I'll give the Micro Stik another shot tomorrow evening & see if I can keep it from running into the walls. Another new pilot got a Champ for Christmas & also had a bad time on his 1st flights. Thanks to information I got on here from CorvetteC5 & gave him, he added some flaps & is now flying. That may be my plan B.
Last edited by bluesman77; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:25 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
bluesman77:

Just to get back "on thread", the Flyzone Albatros can be flown quite successfully indoors, in a large gymnasium environment. However, it can more easily be damaged due to "wall strikes", or hard landings. The Playmate is far more forgiving, and so is the MicroStik, when it comes to hitting things. The Albatros has a "neat" factor, but it's really disheartening to find something usually broken loose or fractured, after a modest brush with the wall or floor. There is good information in prior posts within this thread concerning reducing some of this "fragility" of the little Albatros. Also, better/stronger 1S Lipos are recommended and available.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:30 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
872 Posts
I agree with Doug's advice to Bluesman77. Matches my experience with the Albatros and Playmate.

My $0.02. As an experienced pilot I find my Flyzone Albatros easier to fly in a smaller gym then my Playmate and Super Cub. Flying high alpha, only the Albatros was stable at the slow speeds I wanted so that the plane could perform figure eights in the 3/4 size basketball court. Flying this slow with the Super Cub resulted in tip stalling and crashing into the floor. I find the Playmate and Super Cub to fly about the same in stock form.

A huge improvement for slow flight stability with the Super Cub was adding fixed flaps. See image. Now it flies stable at high alpha with comparable speed to the Albatros. I also increased throws on the rudder and elevator for tighter turns to great results. It now rudder rolls very nicely to the right. I increased the rudder and elevator throws on my Albatros the same way.

I highly recommend the flaps for indoor flying in tighter spaces.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Yes, you were kind enough as to give me the Champ flaps mod which I gave to the fellow w/ a Champ in our group & it made a HUGE difference. Incidentally, I took my eRC MS along to the church gym this evening & the guys talked me into trying it out again. I actually was able to fly several circuits before a wall got in the way. I'd had trouble w/ the elevator pushrod end sliding in the sleeve & had fixed it w/ a drop of hot glue. I smacked the wall hard enough to break that bond - so the festivities ended, but I actually flew! As near as we can tell, I wasn't bringing the throttle back after ground take-offs & things were getting away from me last time. So there's hope for me yet.

The guy w/ the Champ w/ the flaps mod & I later had a mid-air collision w/ our helis. My V911 & his MCX2 got together about 25' up & dropped like rocks. Neither sustained any damage & both flew fine afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
I agree with Doug's advice to Bluesman77. Matches my experience with the Albatros and Playmate.

My $0.02. As an experienced pilot I find my Flyzone Albatros easier to fly in a smaller gym then my Playmate and Super Cub. Flying high alpha, only the Albatros was stable at the slow speeds I wanted so that the plane could perform figure eights in the 3/4 size basketball court. Flying this slow with the Super Cub resulted in tip stalling and crashing into the floor. I find the Playmate and Super Cub to fly about the same in stock form.

A huge improvement for slow flight stability with the Super Cub was adding fixed flaps. See image. Now it flies stable at high alpha with comparable speed to the Albatros. I also increased throws on the rudder and elevator for tighter turns to great results. It now rudder rolls very nicely to the right. I increased the rudder and elevator throws on my Albatros the same way.

I highly recommend the flaps for indoor flying in tighter spaces.
Last edited by bluesman77; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
Hi
I was wondering what manuvers are possible with the Albatross? Inverted, loops, rolls, some type of circuit of touch and goes? I'm trying to come up with a set of goals with practice flights.
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:33 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi
I was wondering what manuvers are possible with the Albatross? Inverted, loops, rolls, some type of circuit of touch and goes? I'm trying to come up with a set of goals with practice flights.
Thanks,
Ray
The Albatross is only a rudder and elevator plane it is capable of loops, inverted (not easy but can be done), touch and go's no problem. Rolls it will not do as it does not have ailerons. You might be able to pull off some tail slides and hammer-head stalls given enough recovery room as it is not a powerhouse.
Good luck and push the envelope
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
Hi,
I was wondering if there were any suggestions on which type and color paint to use to simulate the wood fuse on the Albatross?
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:35 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
920 Posts
Hi

I want to modify the DVa. Can someone please tell me how to remove the decals?

Bob
Bob P is offline Find More Posts by Bob P
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:04 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
Hi

I want to modify the DVa. Can someone please tell me how to remove the decals?

Bob
Apply tape. peel off tape. the decals will come right off.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:40 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
914 Posts
Still loving this plane, especially now that the evening weather will allow front yard flights again. Bone stock RTF except for scarf on pilot...my go-to plane after coming home from work.
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:32 AM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
914 Posts
One too many bumps to the spinner misaligned my prop gear from the plastic motor gear. I finally opened up the Albatros, realigned the gears and installed the metal geared brushed motor recommended earlier in this thread. Very nice! Much quieter and the power seems smoother.

SE5a motor/Gearbox (4th gen)

Gearbox: FLZA6319

Motor/Pinion: FLZA6318
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:39 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,172 Posts
Better late than never…

After two years (or so) of enjoying my sharpie colored albatros, my favorite flyzone micro WWI plane was attacked by an Anglophile tree and I was forced to (finally) get to the repaint project I meant to do way-back-when…
I was further prompted to finally do this after seeing the progress of the same scheme at oldrhinebeck aerodrome's Dva - I'm planning to go see the full size version next summer, but couldn't wait that long to see the diamonds flying.

Not nearly as immaculate as some of the ones earlier in this thread, but since I'm still sane (or just as insane) after cutting all those diamond shaped masking pieces, I thought I'd share it here.

I'm using a new P51 motor and gear box for the power (yes, I've learned my lesson regarding using "old" equipment)
And an ember receiver brick, which is giving me trouble on the rudder servo going left (no, I have not yet learned my lesson regarding using old equipment)

It weighs in at 1oz even w/o the lipo.

This is an excellent airframe from flyzone which IMO should not be forgotten in our usual "what's new?" frenzy. (And this is an excellent thread that should not go buried)
Stripping the stock paint off was not fun and here's a Christmas wish for the manufacturers to offer these airframes unpainted -I'd happily pay more for virgin pieces.

Here's a short hat-cam maiden video
Albatros Dv repaint (2 min 53 sec)

Thanks for looking
=-BS-=
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:38 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
... (yes, I've learned my lesson regarding using "old" equipment) ... (no, I have not yet learned my lesson regarding using old equipment) ....

Gene K
P.S. Looks great!
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01