Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:17 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin finn View Post
hi is this the new standard brick for the plane in this pic
Kevin,

In case someone hasn't suggested this, I will: please take a second or so and edit your quotes so that needless repetition is deleted - like all those pictures in your last post. Doing so streamlines the thread.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:54 AM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
1,004 Posts
I found a heck of deal on the RTF Albatros and have been flying it in the front yard all week. No mods at all other than a scarf on the painted pilot...just fun flying. As mentioned earlier in this thread, this Alby is a brick during power-off gliding but just a click of throttle on final and it floats to the mains beautifully. I have the Tx-R version and the extra motor/gear boxes to use for spare parts as the need arises. Fun to alternate with my Champ and Polecat when micros are on the brain!
IfIHadWings is offline Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:35 AM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Heres what i did

Flyzone micro albatroos review and modifications (4 min 7 sec)
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:01 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,062 Posts
Great video RCAPN. Good job with that. You do know that for a buck or two, you can get an extension to go from the charger to your batteries, easy peasy? Ailerons? Hmmm, I have other planes for that. Don't really think it would fly as well with those extra grams. It would loose it's "floatyness", hahaha. Hey, that is a dang big fish on the wall behind you. I would need a bigger boat. ahahahahaha. Sorry, that was a quote from a movie slightly before your time. Jaws. Anyway, again, good job on that review. Happy Flyin.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:06 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcAirplaneNoob View Post
Heres what i did ...
Nice job on the mods, Noob...and great job on the video!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:30 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Thanks guys i have more vids for different plane mods on my youtube channel if you want to check them out search rcairplanenoob on youtube.com
Yea my dad caught that fish when he was 13
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:48 PM
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
I've been flying RC helicopters since last Thanksgiving w/ a group at a local church gym. I'd not flown RC planes before - only a control line trainer many years ago. One of the guys in our group flies an Ember 2 w/o any problem & after much research I purchased an eRC Micro Stik. The last time we got together I tried to fly it, but didn't do well. I broke every rule for a newbie.......had people watching, flew indoors, didn't hand launch AND didn't have an instuctor. Someone on this forum had recommended either the Ares Micro Stick (2-channen) or their Tiger Moth (3-channel) - but at the time, neither appealed to me. Now, I'm thinking seriously of buying the Stick RTF & later the Tiger Moth WOT (BNF), but the Albatros seems like so much more for the money. So, I did a lot of reading, but am not convinced the Albatros would be any easier to learn to fly indoors than the eRC Stik. Any recommendation on that would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I'm posting in this thread, were I to buy an Abatros, it appears the landing gear doesn't hold up particularly well when hammered. Have any of you added bracing to help the landing gear hold up better or changed to an all-wire design? Do the braces break or come loose from the fuse or both?

Or, should I go ahead & buy one of the Ares planes instead of or before the Albatros?

bluesman77 is offline Find More Posts by bluesman77
Last edited by bluesman77; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:57 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,210 Posts
Albatros... Nieuport....se5... You will enjoy any one of those. They all fly about the same
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:32 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
790 Posts
I found my Albatross with the provided controller to NOT have enough control throw and during my maiden flight indoors I inadvertently hit a wall rather hard and incidently broke the motor mount, luckily I purchased a few extras when I bought the plane. Now I have to open her up and fix that.
I also just picked up an AnyLink so I will be binding the little Alby to my DX7 so I can push the control throws a little more to make it easier to get around the gym. Other than that this is a beauty of a little floater WWI plane, now if they would also make the Pfalz DIII that would be alright with me.
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:35 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The only issue with the flyzone landing gear is the CF axle can break (replace it with music wire) and the glue holding the plastic pieces on is glued to paint, so they can fall off and need regluing.

A good foam glue is a must and once every joint has come apart and been reglued, they won't come apart again.

The Albatros flies great with a computer radio, but is not really a beginner plane like a Ember 2 or Champ, without one. It has to be trimmed for slow flight (lots of up elevator) and then can't be flown fast without re-trimming... A computer mix easily fixes this, but the RTF radio doesn't, so a beginner can get frustrated.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
I'd not seen either of those. The Nieuport really appeals to me - hard to go wrong w/ skulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
Albatros... Nieuport....se5... You will enjoy any one of those. They all fly about the same
Good to know since I'd be flying indoors until the weather improves - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
I found my Albatross with the provided controller to NOT have enough control throw and during my maiden flight indoors I inadvertently hit a wall rather hard and incidently broke the motor mount, luckily I purchased a few extras when I bought the plane. Now I have to open her up and fix that.
Sounds like I better get one of the Ares for now and wait for decent weather to fly the eRC Stik - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The Albatros flies great with a computer radio, but is not really a beginner plane like a Ember 2 or Champ, without one. It has to be trimmed for slow flight (lots of up elevator) and then can't be flown fast without re-trimming... A computer mix easily fixes this, but the RTF radio doesn't, so a beginner can get frustrated.
bluesman77 is offline Find More Posts by bluesman77
Last edited by bluesman77; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:37 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman77 View Post
... were I to buy an Abatros, it appears the landing gear doesn't hold up particularly well when hammered. Have any of you added bracing to help the landing gear hold up better or changed to an all-wire design? Do the braces break or come loose from the fuse or both?

Or, should I go ahead & buy one of the Ares planes instead of or before the Albatros?
First up, forget about the Ares Nano Tiger Moth for the moment. There is a thread on this plane, and reports have not been favorable.

Should you wish to go with one of the FlyZone micros, I would recomment your first one be the Playmate. Easy but quick when flying indoors (large gynmasium, NOT your living room), and a great flyer outdoors in calm to trace wind conditions. FlyZone is now offering their micros (Albatros, Playmate, etc.) with the "Any Link" electronics, allowing one to bind the plane to just about any transmitter, be it 2.4Ghz or 72 MHz equipment. Ideally, you could bind the plane to a transmitter such as the Spektrum DX6i. However, if you do not already have an available transmitter, you would need to buy the RTF (ready to fly) version of the plane(s), and I am not sure if FlyZone is offering these micro's in RTF configuration. I have the "original issue" Playmate and Albatros. I like them both, but the Playmate has been less fragile and more reliable. That having been said, I had my FZ Albatros #2 up this morning, in 45 degree weather, very light winds (2-4mph), and got a very nice 14 minute flight, using the Hyperion 240 1S lipo.

Best of luck in your choice of Micro.

RD

FWIW: I have the eRc Micro Stik. It's a high strung Ember on steroids, quite elevator sensitive. The Playmate is much more relaxing to fly, IMHO.
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac