SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:53 PM
Meridian, Idaho USA
Joined Feb 2004
303 Posts
Hello
I have had my Albi for just about 2 weeks. In the few days that we have had weather I can fly in, the plane has been great fun. It is stock right out of the box, just painted the pilot and fly. I am using the Anylink module with my DX6I, which seems to work great. I have been trying to get caught up on this thread but I am getting confused. I am interested in upgrading the motor, a little more power would be nice. I keep seeing references to the Mustang motor/gearbox. As well as many comments about changing out the brick. This Mustang motor that everyone is talking about, is Mustang a supplier or vendor? Or is this a motor being used in a Mustang? What would be the advantage of swapping out the brick? The system that came with my Albi seem more then adequate for itís needs? Sorry for the ignorant questions, but if I donít ask I might never find the answer!
mikeflys is offline Find More Posts by mikeflys
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys View Post
Hello
I have had my Albi for just about 2 weeks. In the few days that we have had weather I can fly in, the plane has been great fun. It is stock right out of the box, just painted the pilot and fly. I am using the Anylink module with my DX6I, which seems to work great. I have been trying to get caught up on this thread but I am getting confused. I am interested in upgrading the motor, a little more power would be nice. I keep seeing references to the Mustang motor/gearbox. As well as many comments about changing out the brick. This Mustang motor that everyone is talking about, is Mustang a supplier or vendor? Or is this a motor being used in a Mustang? What would be the advantage of swapping out the brick? The system that came with my Albi seem more then adequate for it’s needs? Sorry for the ignorant questions, but if I don’t ask I might never find the answer!
The "mustang motor" is the 8.4mm motor/gearbox out of a Parkzone UM P-51 Mustang.

It weighs about 3g motor than the 7mm factory motor/gearbox, so it helps to move the brick back to get proper balance, but its smoother and quieter.

You need to re-enforce the wings with this mod, because you can tear off the wings using too much of the available power.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:40 PM
Meridian, Idaho USA
Joined Feb 2004
303 Posts
I was wondering about that. I have flown for many years the GWS Pico Tigermoth. One of the first upgrades that is needed for the tigermoth is to add itís flying wires. The support wires for the wing structure. Added a great deal of strength and stabilities to the wings. Here is a photo of my Mothís wires.

Has this been tried with the Albi?
mikeflys is offline Find More Posts by mikeflys
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
Build 'em break 'em fix 'em
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
Another Albatros Question

I am currently re-motoring my Albatros with the BSD motor/gearbox combo.

It currently has the longer shaft, but it also has the "prop saver" tip on it.
Can I get rid of the prop saver tip? How do I get it off? Is it just pressed on or do I have to grind it off or what?

I want to be able to use the stock prop/spinner combo if possible.
chinaclipper63 is offline Find More Posts by chinaclipper63
Last edited by chinaclipper63; Mar 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:14 PM
Build 'em break 'em fix 'em
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
Well, I answered my own inquiry...

since no one else did, and I went ahead and just dremmel'ed off the "prop saver" on the BSD motor/gear box mount.
I used the stock prop, and tried out my new Turnigy Nano Tech batteries.
All and all I would have to say it was a success. The motor was much smoother, still noisy, but it didn't sound like it was going to seize up at any moment.like the stock one does.
I think the battery made a big difference in COG too, it seemed to handle much more easily with the slightly larger battery.
Now on to the next project!
chinaclipper63 is offline Find More Posts by chinaclipper63
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaclipper63 View Post
since no one else did, and I went ahead and just dremmel'ed off the "prop saver" on the BSD motor/gear box mount.
I used the stock prop, and tried out my new Turnigy Nano Tech batteries.
All and all I would have to say it was a success. The motor was much smoother, still noisy, but it didn't sound like it was going to seize up at any moment.like the stock one does.
I think the battery made a big difference in COG too, it seemed to handle much more easily with the slightly larger battery.
Now on to the next project!
It would be hard for it to be really quiet as the fuselage amplifies the sound. If you run a flyzone gearbox in your hand, it doesn't sound all that noisy.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
finally some progress on new airframe and lower wing (need to re-do part of the top of the wing). upper wing had some paint adhesion issues so i will have to re-do it another day.

fwa2500 is offline Find More Posts by fwa2500
Last edited by fwa2500; May 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,810 Posts
mono albatros

converted mine to mono and got a chance to really let it off the leash today. flies pretty well, loves to climb and pick up speed. kept it 50% throttle mostly (in at least 8 mph wind).
had to give it some upthrust - downthrust wasn't working well for me. i wanted to keep the prop shaft level and have neither up nor downthrust but i overcompensated. given its performance though i'll leave it as-is. attached are pics. the pics were taken when i hadn't taped it back together so the seams aren't flush but you can still see the propshaft angle.

ps - i use a foam piece to press the gearbox up at an angle to get rid of the downthrust. i also had a problem with the brick coming loose all the time (yes, i beat it up with my bad flying) so instead of gluing it back on i used two foam pieces to hold it down and then a ballpen refill with a foam block to hold it from sliding forward. no more glue on the brick and it works fine. thought i'd share pics of that too.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 16, 2012, 11:42 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,060 Posts
Looks great!!! But, where is the spinner. hahaha
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 16, 2012, 11:53 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Looks great!!! But, where is the spinner. hahaha
Lee
i was considering replacing my prop with a micro citabria prop so i took the spinner off. changed my mind halfway through. didn't care to put the spinner back on. sheer laziness
Old May 17, 2012, 12:14 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,060 Posts
Haha, I was just raggin ya. I am kinda proud of the fact I can make my own spinners now. Just like the origional. Hey, when your tight on funds...Ya figuere out a way. Still, I think yours looks beautifull. Great job!!!
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 17, 2012, 12:29 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Haha, I was just raggin ya. I am kinda proud of the fact I can make my own spinners now. Just like the origional. Hey, when your tight on funds...Ya figuere out a way. Still, I think yours looks beautifull. Great job!!!
Lee
thanks lee.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:54 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,810 Posts
discovered today that 13 mph wind is the limit for this plane. was staying aloft but going sideways
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Albatros is $40 with Free anylink @ Tower hobbies.

Use one of the free shipping coupons they send out and this is the deal of the year.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:58 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
got two of them one is on the bench being converted to dsm2 4ch

edit: converted and flown! OMG i love it! i was flying 12 inches off the ground forever, its so light. the stock battery is perfect for the CG, and the ailerons let me keep the wings level as a fly low and slow. added nav lights and all was good till i ran into a tree! never can leave well enough alone, can i?

on a more serious note, when flying in a harrier (tail down, flying slow in the prop) and using ailerons, she likes to stall out. im still getting use to it, but that is what caused the crash. i was flying slow, and was tightening my turns, and she started that wingwaggle-going-in-to-a-stall thing, so i gunned it.
the other note, is the ailerons are a little touchy at WOT, and less so at part throttle. its not linear.

so i gunned it, and turned, over compensated my roll, and went the other way, leveled out, and tried to climb and turn, but hit the tree pretty hard. still have to inspect the damage.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Last edited by nemoskull; Nov 23, 2012 at 03:59 AM.