HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:19 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,619 Posts
Are you gonna shelf that piece of art? Cause there is no way I would risk flying it. ahaha
That prop alone is beautifull. But the detail you put into it is incredible. I am stunned to say the least.
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:33 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Plane is looking beautiful, Pete!

The painted Flyzone prop may not work out so well, however. You may have better luck than I did, but you also may want to paint a Mustang Prop and use this instead.

What I found with at least 5 painted Flyzone props is Flight times drop from 8 minutes to 4 minutes and the props become very brittle (the tips break off)... so I stopped painting them.

The paint appears to keep them from flexing that would reduce the load on the motor and absorb impacts.

A painted Flyzone prop will draw very close to 2A with a Mustang motor as you near full throttle, without giving "2A's worth of thrust".
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:40 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I'm still thinking a turning pilot head off the rudder push rod would be cool but ....
SO close........ as the Nike ad says. "Just do it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With your mechanical engineering ability, it shouldn't take you any time at all, and the effect would be so "neat".

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:17 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,915 Posts
You know your stuff UNGN but I really have not noticed an issue with the other Alby I have and I painted it too. I guess I could get better power as you suggest but for me my other one flys great I can only hope this one will do the same.

Hey Gene,

I did go ahead and made the moving pilot head it works great! I just used a aluminum tube into the head as I already had hollowed out the bust and had the drill sized in the head for the tube. It's pretty cool although you'll never see it except when it's on the ground. I think it's a first, well at least for the FZ Albatros.

I added the wiring tabs in the wings and should be able to finish this bird tomorrow after work.

Now all i have to do is figure the servo reversing for the elevator on the DX 7 plus add the %'s of elevator as UNGN suggests

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:30 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,846 Posts
Quote:
I did go ahead and made the moving pilot head...
How come he's not waving as his head turns?

Quote:
Now all i have to do is figure the servo reversing for the elevator on the DX 7 plus add the %'s of elevator....
You'll find that's not very hard. Jin can help..or you can call me. Did you get a DX7, or did you mean DX6i?

Gene K
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Mine flew fine with the painted prop, but the flight times were noticeably shorter vs. an unpainted prop and the tips kept breaking.

I have since gone black and I'm not going back. Flight times went back up to 8+ minutes and it can nose over on landing and not chunk a tip. I still need to try a trimmed Mustang prop with the 7mm motor, however.

The painting and details are incredible and that losenge is perfect. Definitely museum quality stuff. Can't wait to see he video.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:45 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,915 Posts
Thanks UNGN. I'll try a P-51 prop too. I'll get some video and pic's next time I fly with my friends Jin or Paul.

Gene You're loosing it! You gave me the DX 7 ... Paul will help as Jin has only the 6.

I did think about having an arm move too. I'd have to sculpt a new bust though and I need to yet make some more castings of this guy and the British WWI pilot.

By the way Jin was mentioned in this Falls issue of Park Pilot and his 5"WS Micro Sopwith Triplane was pictured with some other guy named as Jin.

It's funny as Jin is younger than the guy pictured. I ragged Jin about it.

Should finish this tomorrow.

BTW there's a very cool U-Tube video of a guy in Germany test flying a multi prop and electric brushless electric motored human piloted hover craft. Just like those IPod 4proped RC hover craft except there are more motors. He's even flying it with an RC TX!

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Nov 07, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:19 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Gene You're loosing it! You gave me the DX 7 ...
Oh...that's where it is.....

Gene K
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:21 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,915 Posts
Gene, I think I got the best end of the deal on the P-38 trade. I hope it's still flying and giving you good service. I've placed this Albatros on the DX7 and it's the first time I'm gearing it up for use. Thank you again.

I went without sleep again and pretty much got this bird together.

I still have some details to do. I have to add the flying wires, all hatches and minor weathering. Then I have to fly it... Because I added CF rods to the bottom wing and not the top the top wing pulled down some I don't think it will have too bad an effect on how it flys but I'll soon see. I should have put a CF rod in the top wing too.

Thanks again to my friend Gene (Speedy01) for the great lozgens wing tissues and super decals it's what really made this bird look the part as well as a thank you to all the others who have posted how to's here.

Pete
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:36 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Wow Pete!!! That's one fine looking ship. What was your AUW do you know? Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:05 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Because I added CF rods to the bottom wing and not the top the top wing pulled down ....
Can you move the cabane struts down?

Here are your great pics with a little "enhancement" as your latest are a bit washed out (looks like a new camera?).

Gene K
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:20 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,915 Posts
Hey Gene,

No need to move them down, too late anyway just a lesson learned.

Added acess hatches etc and flying wires. Just need to add some minor weathering.

Had 3 great flights yesterday before it got dark. Just had to do some minor triming. The DX7 works great and I have this bird dialed in

Thanks Jim,

AUW WO battery 35gr one gr more than my other FZ Albatros LULU

She fly great slow or fast with the PZ brick and the P-51 motor.

Now on to my last build for a while the Micro Nieuport 17.

Pete
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:17 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,619 Posts
Pete, you actually flew this? Awesomness! If it had been me, honestlly, I would have flown it once, for about a minute. And that would be that. My nerves wouldn't stand for anymore. LOL. I Love that plane. Great job. Even more knowing it flies. YES!! Good job.
Happy Flyin.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:20 AM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,152 Posts
Next time get a video please. Would love to see it flying
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:30 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Now on to my last build for a while the Micro Nieuport 17.
What do you mean "last build for awhile"?????????

I'm addicted to your builds and would suffer severe withdrawal! Say it ain't so.

Gene K